This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ask Rym & Scott - Tuesday Gaming

RymRym
edited September 2007 in Everything Else
As with the Monday thread, post your gaming-related questions here.  They'll be answered on an upcoming Tuesday episode of GeekNights.

Comments

• What are your least-favorite trends in gaming today? Your most favorite?
  • Doh, forgot to talk about it on the show. Oh well.
  • Doh, forgot to talk about it on the show. Oh well.I figure people will be able to catch on. ^_~
    Besides, we'll talk about it all next week.
  • What is the worst game mechanic.

What is the best game mechanic.

Give an example of a game that is style over substance.

Give an example of game that is substance over style.

Give an example of a game that was better only after changing the rules.

Who is your favorite Game Designer?

Why do you think some good game designers publish crap games?

What is your opinion of games with dice as the primary mechanic.

What is your opinion of games that do not use dice.

Are CCGs dead?

What is the best CCG?
  • What were the hardest rules/controls you had to overcome in a game?

What boards games do you recommend for a super board gaming n00b?

I also +1 most of what HMTKsteve asked.

• What boards games do you recommend for a super board gaming n00b?
    How To Get into German Board Gaming
    Good Board Games
    Board Gaming Weekend

Those should help.
  • Favorite videogame moments.
    I.e.: fighting the Yellow Devil in Megaman 1, or the first time playing Mario 3, turning into the raccoon suit and flying.
  • We've seen the Game Glove, the DS stylus, the Wiimote -- what gimmicky control apparatus should Nintendo try to roll out next?
  • What are the highlights of the Burning Wheel system?
  • Do you think there will ever be a revival for the virtual reality games for either arcade or at a consumer/home level?
  • Do you think there will ever be a revival for the virtual reality games for either arcade or at a consumer/home level?
    Guitar Hero or Wii isn't enough for you? Haha.
  • Has there ever been for either of you a major epiphany related to video games, in which you knew that your life would be significantly different after that experience? For example, this could be anything that signaled to you a new, unexpected epoch of gaming or a change to your understanding of video games or... just interpret it however.

Short version: When was the first time you were awed by a video game? For me, it was playing a network game of Quake 1 for the first time.

Has there ever been for either of you a similar epiphany related to board games or tabletop role-playing games?
  • edited September 2007
    How/why was Tribes 2 wrecked?
    What made it the best game ever before the fall?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just listened to Stop Whining.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • How/why was Tribes 2 wrecked?
    What made it the best game ever before the fall?
    Tribes 2 was wrecked when they turned off the servers.
  • Besides Astroboy "Omega Factor", what other anime based games are good?
  • If you guys got your hands on a Wii development kit, what type of game would you make?
  • How do you guys feal about overhyped games? (i.e. Halo 3 XD)
  • WHY do you guys come off like you HATE the idea of a console FPS, aside from the fact that a mouse is superior?
  • What is your views on game crossovers? This could be described as either cross promotions (ie. Halo Game Fuel and other "marketing" items) or medium crossovers (Ala .Hack with its' OVA's, TV shows, Videos games, manga, online media, etc).
  • I would love to know more about the game "Sweet Home", which is considered to be the inspiration for Resident Evil. If you guys have played it I'd like your opinions on it and if you've seen the movie I'd like to know what you think of that as well. Thanks.
  • What import games have you played/owned?   and what's your highest score in Frogger?
  • what's your highest score in Frogger?

How about highest score in anything?

Have you guys ever modded a console?

What would be your perfect console?

I'm not sure if LARP can count as gaming, but what are your thoughts on that? Have you ever LARPed? Should people try it?
  • Would you be more console oriented if you could straight up use a mouse and keyboard for any game you wanted to play?
  • What are your favourite Real Time Strategy games if you play these at all?
    What are your all time favourite single player games?
    Why are the majority of Console shooters in 3rd person, when compared to PC centric shooters which are usually 1st person?
    What's you're favourite type of grenade in a game?
    What was your all time favourite 1st person shooter weapon of all time?
    What was your all time favourite melee attack of all time?
    What is currently the best multiplayer first person shooter?
    I find console gaming to be crap, the only exceptions are Wii games which make good use of the controls, is there a counter argument apart from the obvious - that games are now made for realease on console first.
    Do you think the quality of games and game development is going down when companies target consoles rather than PCs?  (e.g. Blizzard targets PCs and doesn't need to give a crap about consoles after making Warcraft, Starcraft and WOW, similar argument with ID, Valve and smaller companies which use these game engines).
  • We'll mention this thread tonight, but I figure a pre-emptive bumpty-bump wouldn't hurt.
  • If you were trapped on a Lost-like island (e.g. - electrical power, networked computers, and TV screens available, but no off-island communication) with the rest of the front row crew for a year and if you could only have one game with you during that period, what would it be?

Any type of game is available. Assume you have the minimum amount of material you need for each person to learn the game and take part in it. Games without material (e.g. - tag) are available regardless of the game you select.
  • Thoughts on the Metal Gear Solid series? Does Hideo Kojima get commended for his deep political message or should that be left out of vigi games?
  • Please describe your favorite rpg characters.
  • edited October 2007
    Why is the status of not being able to cast spells known as "silence"?
    Now that the virtual consoles exist, do you think Roms of old games are still justified?
    What one game have you guys played the longest? (as in I've played x game for y years)
    What characters in TF2 have your highest play time/points?
    Post edited by iruul on
  • What do you guys think about people putting their names on games? (e.g. Sid Meier's Civilization, Clive Barker's Jericho, Peter Jackson's King Kong)