This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advice: Visiting the US

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I am going to be flying to Houston, Texas for 2 weeks. My flight goes next Saturday and I will be staying by "friends". I'll also be visiting a school there. I have a few questions about the US. I have long hair and wear "alternative" cloths. Do people in the US take issue with that? What should I do in Texas?

I would be happy to know if I should live in fear when being there. ;)

Comments

• What should I do in Texas?
    Avoid the (fast food) restaurants every 100 meters as much as possible. Be yourself and don't go looking for trouble. Wear what you want.
  • Do people in the US take issue with that? What should I do in Texas?
    You'll always find someone in the U.S. -- especially the South -- to bitch about what you wear. Don't pay them any mind. Do what you want. Remember that Texas is extremely conservative and that most people you meet will be carrying one or more guns.
  • What do you mean by "alternative" clothes?
  • Not really extreme. Long hip jeans which get a bit wider to the bottom and a long sleeved shirt with a t-shirt underneath. The only thing I know not to wear is my Kufiya, since it will also be pretty warm there about this time around.
  • Not really extreme. Long hip jeans which get a bit wider to the bottom and a long sleeved shirt with a t-shirt underneath. The only thing I know not to wear is my Kufiya, since it will also be pretty warm there about this time around.
    Just stick with shorts and t-shirts. Trust me. It's not a fashion statement, but you will be thankful when you feel that southern heat.
  • Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll by some cloths in the US since they are cheaper there.
  • Not really extreme. Long hip jeans which get a bit wider to the bottom and a long sleeved shirt with a t-shirt underneath.You'll be fine.

For my first year of college, I was in Texas, and the issue of people "carrying one or more guns" never came up. I had less than normal appearance for the area (e.g. - longish hair and a long goatee), but like most places, if you don't mess with the natives, the natives usually won't mess with you.
  • kiwi, it sounds like you should be fine. It sounds like you dress rather tamely compared to many I've seen in the Houston area. Listen to Nineless. Thats good advice all the way around although the fast food isn't any worse than anywhere else.
  • edited September 2007
    You should be fine. Most people don't seem to have a problem with "eccentric" clothing.
    One piece of advice, though: Don't wear all black in a fundamentalist Christian area. I've made that mistake before, and that stake wound still hurts like hell.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited September 2007
    I don't really wear black so that won't be a problem. But thanks!
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • I suggest going to the beach, they have nice ones in Texas. It also has a beautiful countryside; its not all desert as most think.
  • edited September 2007
    its not all desert as most think.
    The east side of the state (next to Louisiana) is a beautiful green paradise. If you like spending time in nature, check out Caddo Lake (warning, sucky website).

(Edit: the Wikipedia article might be a little more useful.)
    Post edited by xenomouse on