This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070925 - Stop Whining!

RymRym
edited September 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the whining gamer. In the news, we have wireless fake guitars and a geekback.
Scott's Thing - Darth Vader Blues

Rym's Thing - Mario in the Forest

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Sorry to break it to you guys, but the Essentials Tin that shane was talking about IS actually worth it. It comes with SO MANY THINGS, including a graphics upgrade, extra content, access to downloadable stuff, a warthog launch game, , AND updated cutscenes from the past games.

(I still didn't like the game, though.)
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • including a graphics upgrade, extra content, access to downloadable stuff, a warthog launch game, , AND updated cutscenes from the past games.
    If you count those as things and not as useless fluff, then sure.
  • Updated cutscenes of the past games WERE quite useful, especially if you missed out on the first two games.
  • Love guitar hero and the reason I got a job is so that I can support expensive habits like that. Once thing is I'm going to wait until Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3 are both out so I can choose my next gen console and make sure I don't need different guitars for each game (which may happen).

The thing is, it's a great community game. We have entire parties centered around the GH experience and I really don't mind spending some money to get it done. In fact, having PS2 versions separate from the next-gen will be good because we can have two rooms with two different games going! Yeah, I'm die hard like that.

Anywho, you guys ever in the area you can rock out at my house. ~_^
  • Scott, you said something along the lines of, "these people aren't game designers; they don't consider the ramifications of their demands." I think this sums up what a lot of gamers don't seem to realize.
  • A $90 videogame is considered an expansive habit? That's news to me.
  • A $90 videogame is considered an expansive habit? That's news to me.
    Rock Band is looking to cost upwards of $200.

I think the main issue with the plastic instruments is storage. Who has the room to store two guitars for GH1/2, two more for GH3, and two guitars + drum set (it's huge) + microphones? Not to mention the other kinds of games that use different microphones, and tons of DDR pads. It's getting out of hand.
  • I'm just going to put it all in the guest house adjacent to my moon base.
  • I already have a USB mic from Wii Boogie, I wonder if that will work with rockBand?
  • Since you guys have a Wii, I recommend you to wait for the Wii version of Guitar Hero. I am pretty sure it will come with some sort of downloading feature in order for Wii owners to download songs from previous games, after all if the 360 is doing it why not Nintendo?
    My friend has a PS3 and he bought Guitar Hero 2 along with the Guitar remote, he told me that the guitar works. However, when he swings the guitar at a 90 degree angle he can't activate the Star Power :(
  • I got, what I think, is a good idea based on what you were talking about with TF2. That perhaps rather then being the fanboy complaining to Valve about the game, we as a forum put together/discuss ways the game could be improved, and then submit the list to Valve with the areas of discussion for why the changes could be good or bad for the game.
  • edited September 2007
    I got, what I think, is a good idea based on what you were talking about with TF2. That perhaps rather then being the fanboy complaining to Valve about the game, we as a forum put together/discuss ways the game could be improved, and then submit the list to Valve with the areas of discussion for why the changes could be good or bad for the game.
    It's interesting, and we certainly could do it, but it's a little late. I mean sure, they could delay the release of the game further if it were something major, but I think the game is exactly what they wanted it to be the way it is. Doing something like adding just one more special weapon per class takes a lot of development time.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's interesting, and we certainly could do it, but it's a little late. I mean sure, they could delay the release of the game further if it were something major, but I think the game is exactly what they wanted it to be the way it is. Doing something like adding just one more special weapon per class takes a lot of development time.
    Yep. And not only that, but we've already bought the game. Adding one more special weapon per class is not going to affect sales.
  • I'm not expecting them to keep the beta going or anything like that. It's not like they are releasing the game in October never to touch it again, they'll continue to tweek it. So what I'm suggesting is that we give them some ideas for things that they should look into changing, by laying out how we think our ideas would alter the game (negatively, positively or both) and suggest that they should play test them to see how they actually work out in game as opposed to on paper.
  • I'm not expecting them to keep the beta going or anything like that. It's not like they are releasing the game in October never to touch it again, they'll continue to tweek it.
    Yeah, tweak, not add new game mechanics.
  • edited September 2007
    Hey thanks for not pwning me too badly.. But I would kinda like to shine some light on my name. The Shane in my name is my name which is kinda a given, but the 412162 is something much more sinister for a lack of a better word. 412162 means numerically "fuck you", which is something I came up with in High school.
    Post edited by Ratchet on
  • 412162 means numerically "fuck you"
    Umm, how do you figure?
  • I'm not expecting them to keep the beta going or anything like that. It's not like they are releasing the game in October never to touch it again, they'll continue to tweek it.
    Yeah,tweak, not add new game mechanics.
    Well I think that adding some game mechanics is tweaking. Like the idea that Rym and Scott have been saying that each class needs one more thing (except the Engineer, Spy, and possibly Medic.) The Pyro especially needs something, which I personally think could either be a smoke grenade (confuse opponents as the come through the smoke then set them on fire, or set them on fire while they are in the smoke,) or giving them the ability to shut off the pilot light on the flamethrower to just let it spit fuel, which then can later be set on fire (which give them an interesting defensive capability.)
  • In my mind, tweaking does not go beyond bug fixes and extremely minor rules changes.
  • I got, what I think, is a good idea based on what you were talking about with TF2. That perhaps rather then being the fanboy complaining to Valve about the game, we as a forum put together/discuss ways the game could be improved, and then submit the list to Valve with the areas of discussion for why the changes could be good or bad for the game.
    Valve is a company like any other. You could go to them with a huge list of things that would make TF2 better, but at the end of the day, if the cost of development is greater than the profit they'd make, they won't do it.

As it stands, TF2 is set to take a large market share because it's very console-friendly. If they geared it more towards the PC, the incredible difficulty of playing it on a console would make it unpalatable to that market, and it becomes niched as a result.

The "original" Team Fortress was a mod because, as is the case with mods, it appealed to a smaller demographic than the game on which it was based.

Why not put all that effort into creating a mod of TF2 once it's released? That would seem to be the better solution to me.
  • Why not put all that effort into creating a mod of TF2 once it's released? That would seem to be the better solution to me.
    Sounds good to me. It would be relatively easy, create a few new weapons, add some FPS skill, and adjust some rules possibly. Just as long as they keep the visual and atmospheric aesthetic, being the best part of the game!
  • 412162 means numerically "fuck you"
    Umm, how do you figure?
    First what you do is line up numbers with letters (1=a 2=b so on, and so fourth.)

F+U+C+K = 41

U= 21 (the 21st letter of the alphabet.)

If you add 41+21=62. Which is why in the end you get 412162.
  • edited September 2007
    Why not put all that effort into creating a mod of TF2 once it's released? That would seem to be the better solution to me.
    Sounds good to me. It would be relatively easy, create a few new weapons, add some FPS skill, and adjust some rules possibly. Just as long as they keep the visual and atmospheric aesthetic, being the best part of the game!
    All that work is already done, really. You could start small and take the easy steps: ratchet up the precision of the weapons (by reducing the size of the cone of fire, I imagine), and increase everybody's movement speed by, I dunno, 50%?

Those of you with like coding skillz and stuff, get on this when the game comes out.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on