This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Batman Behaving Badly

edited September 2007 in Manga/Comics
I know some may look down on me for liking All Star Batman and Robin, but I don't care. I bought Issue #7 yesterday and was rewarded with more ultra-violence, a scene where Batman shags Black Canary on a rain swept pier right after he's lit a bunch of dudes on fire with bleach and thermite and before he even knows her name (quote - "We keep our masks on. It's better that way."), and more gratuitous swearing: After the shag, Batman asks Black Canary if she needs a ride home. She answers, "You're the goddamn Batman and you need yourself a goddamn car?" He calls for the Batmobile. She's about to make a joke and he says, "Not one word. I've taken enough grief about calling my goddamn car the goddamn Batmobile. I'm the goddamn Batman and I can call my goddamn car whatever the hell I want to call it." I think that's just goddamn hilarious.

Meanwhile, Dick Grayson is still by himself in the cold, dark batcave. He was hungry and no one has made any moves to feed him, so he's had to eat a rat. (Actually, Batman suggested this to him when he first left him alone.) Then, Batman comes in and throws the guy who killed Dick's parents to the ground at Dick's feet, like a mother wolf bringing back a half dead rabbit for her cubs. Dick beats the crap out of the guy and then it turns out the guy is working for . . . The Joker! Great! I simply can't wait.

I'm sorry. I know a lot of you are so ubercool you don't read underwear pervert books or, if you do, you wait until they come out in a trade, but I think this book is worth getting as it comes out. Jim Lee's art in this book is terrific in every panel, and Miller's writing is very appealing (at least it is to me). I particularly like how he has Batman ocassionally laughing maniacally when he beats up some bad guy in a kind of reference to The Shadow and some scenes in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Bottom line: I like it. So sue me.

Comments

• As a Batman fan....I must have this! Yeah, I said it! I like Batman! I usually wouldn't read any of the underwear pervert books but if one is worth it then sure.
  • Isn't this book like, super delayed?
  • Got dammit! I hear of something cool and it suffers delays. Oh well.
  • edited September 2007
    Isn't this book like, super delayed?
    Yes, the delays have been interminable. Miller has some difficulties with deadlines. You wouldn't believe the wait between issues of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns when it was coming out.

Of course, Watchmen was coming out about the same time - and there it was, every month, like clockwork (pun intended). DKR must have taken nearly a year between issue #2 and issue #3.
    Got dammit! I hear of something cool and it suffers delays. Oh well.
    Go get the back issues at a comic store. Seriously - you don't have to get them all at once. I wouldn't recommend this for any other book, but this one is worth it.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The prospect of watching Batman behave badly is not making me want to buy this.  I think I've bought one underwear pervert comic in the last 2 years, and that was the House of M trade paperback.
  • edited September 2007

I think I've bought one underwear pervert comic in the last 2 years, and that was the House of M trade paperback.

I probably won't read that until they get the trade at the library where I can check it out for free. If it takes many months or even years for this to happen, I'll be fine because my interest in M is vanishingly small.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Batman Behaving Poorly?