This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Lay's newest potato chips flavor: Chicken & Waffles

Comments

• ... How is that racist?
  • Because it's a giant insult to Belgians.
    Them thar blacks like chicken and waffles hurrrrr
    ... Okayyyyy.... So are watermelon and kool-aid racist? I'm not seeing anything in this that's racially motivated. It's just a flavor.
  • So Roscoe's is racist too?
  • By that logic, the other flavor they accepted, Sriracha, would be racist too!
    That's pretty racist, man. How do you know Christina Abu-Judom is black?

• edited February 2013
    Chicken & waffles is a southern thing. There are people down here who aren't black. Why aren't you calling the Texas toast flavor chips racist against honkeys?
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • The flavor itself is in no way racist. If they had a picture of a black man on the bag, THAT would be racist. As a flavor, it's quite delish. I've only had chicken and waffles twice and loved it both times. I do need to correct having never been to Roscoes only living about 20 miles away.
  • Consequently, calling the flavor racist is itself racist.
  • I've always thought that stuff like the stereotype of black people eating fried chicken was kind of silly, for people on both sides of the issue. Like "Ohhhh certain people from certain ethnic and cultural background eat certain food." We don't really see people cracking jokes about Asian people eating rice. And yeah black people often like fried chicken, but so does everyone else.
  • edited February 2013
    If they had a picture of a black man on the bag, THAT would be racist.
    Why would that be racist?

Aditionally, why do you quadruple space your posts? HTML is gonna strip it out unless you use  .
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • The flavor itself is in no way racist. If they had a picture of a black man on the bag, THAT would be racist.
    It depends. If they put a picture of Christina Abu-Judom on the bag (as the person who suggested the flavor) and she happened to be black, that's okay. If it was random black person, then yeah, it could be racist depending on the context.

Kind of reminds me of the rebranding of Uncle Ben's rice and Aunt Jemima's pancakes/syrup/etc. In the old days, they were pretty much racist stereotypes of the worst order. Nowadays, they've completely reinvented the logos and the backstories of the characters to make them less bad. Aunt Jemima just happens to be a kindly black grandmotherly type now and Uncle Ben is now portrayed as a successful elderly black entrepreneur who started a business selling rice and rice products. Not sure if they are still racist or not, but they are certainly no where near as bad as they used to be.
  • It's not racist and you're racist for thinking it's racist. You racist.
  • We had a "vote to save your fave" in the UK a few years ago.

Builder's Breakfast, Chilli and chocolate, Crispy Duck and Hoi Sin, Cajun Squirrel, Fish and Chips, and Onion Bhaji...

I can only assume that no-one voted as none of them were saved.
  • This is so fuckign racism I can't even believe it. I'm fuming.
  • I keep reading this thread title and becoming hungry.
  • Fucking southerners GET OFF MY LAND AKA AMERICA.

They're not bad actually. They just taste like the chicken lays with maple flavoring.
  • Lay's is going to regreat this. I've started a whitehouse.gov petition AND a change.org petition. They will pay for their racism.
  • We had a "vote to save your fave" in the UK a few years ago.

Builder's Breakfast, Chilli and chocolate, Crispy Duck and Hoi Sin, Cajun Squirrel, Fish and Chips, and Onion Bhaji...

I can only assume that no-one voted as none of them were saved.
    How the fuck can you make a full breakfast into a potato chip? Lays you might be on to something here.

• Subway's got a line of sandwich flavored chips in Japan and they actually taste like sandwiches.
  • edited February 2013
    There's a stereotype that black people like waffles? I guess you learn something new every day.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • only when coupled with chicken
  • No, racist is running a special on those and purple drank during Black History Month.

Or, y'know, the systematic marginalization of a people based on their race. That's pretty racist too.
  • We don't really see people cracking jokes about Asian people eating rice.
    There definitely have been people who crack jokes about Asians eating rice, but I'm sure it's not as often, or as offensive.
  • There's a stereotype that black people like waffles? I guess you learn something new every day.
    only when coupled with chicken
    The story I heard is that the idea of combining chicken and waffles was invented by a diner in Harlem back in the 50's or so, mostly because their clientele, many of whom happened to be black, often worked the night shift and felt like having something that was "not quite breakfast, not quite lunch," when they showed up at the diner after work. This diner combined their chicken and waffles and offered that on their menu and it became a big hit that eventually spread nationwide.
  • There's quite a few versions of how it came to be I think.
  • I wouldn't be surprised. Seems like any iconic food tends to have many different claims to its history.

In my case, I never even heard about chicken and waffles until I watched Tokyo Breakfast. At the time, I didn't get the joke and honestly thought it was some weird Japanese thing, like corn on pizza, and not an African-American thing. It wasn't until later that I found out it was actually a form of soul food.
  • I'd also like to put this out there: chicken and waffles is fucking delicious.