This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix

edited February 2013 in Video Games
Why shit-talk? This is really easy to do, so I'll start it right now.

I hereby announce the first ever, and perhaps annual, FRC Gaming Grand Prix Championship Series. The format is as follows.

Each Grand Prix will last one week. Players will have precisely 7 days to play the required games. All games will be such that there will be a clear ranking from first to last. Points will be awarded using the Formula 1 Grand Prix scoring system. Failure to play the game in the allotted week will result in a score of 0 for that round. There is no elimination other than mathematical elimination. Since a score of 0 is always possible, mathematical elimination should come very late in the competition. At the end of all the weeks, whoever has the most points will be the FRC gaming champion. Perhaps we will find a prize of some sort.

I, Scott, will personally not be eligible because I will be the judge and tournament administrator. I will, however, exhibit my skills in each round for the sake of pride, demonstration, etc. I will also be the dictator of all the tournament rules, and selector of all the games. I will gladly take suggestions, but I will otherwise be a jerk and have the final say on everything for the sake of simplicity. I will only select games that are available in all regions of the globe, and also do not require significant financial resources to play. You can consider the text I post in this thread to be the official rule book.

Round 1 will begin March 1, 2013 at the moment I post the instructions for that round in this thread. Registration begins immediately now. All forum members are eligible. Post in this thread to register. Registrations will be permitted at any time before the end, but a late registrant will score straight zeros for any already completed rounds. All scores and standings will be in this Google Doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amh4XYkHbJgfdGNoSTZRZVlXVF9fR0dETF8zcFhUWWc&usp=sharing

Any questions, comments, concerns?

Comments

• I'm in.
    Let's generate some meta-content for GeekNights. ;^)
  • What do we win?

I want your PAX Tsuro Medal.
  • Not participating this time around - I want to see how it goes, first - but fuck, this is gonna be totally sweet.
  • What do we win?

No. Maybe I will have a GeekNights medal fashioned.
  • We do still have... the belt.
  • I just realized if I post this as a news on the site, it will make a new thread. I'll just have to delete that thread after it gets made.
  • I'm down for this, ready to bring on any and all contenders.
  • edited February 2013
    I had part of the idea, so I must participate. The blood spilled is on my hands.

It would be funny if prizes can be awarded at PAX.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • What do we win?

No. Maybe I will have a GeekNights medal fashioned.
    It's ok. I have my own special PAX Medal I got from Prime last year. I just want MORE.
  • Collaborate secretly with me to ensure that I win all of the events.

Kaboom
    Advance Wars
    DDR
    Half-marathon
    Mogul skiing
    CounterStrike: GO
    Quake 2 Lithium Deathmatch
    Modern Art
    Sex
    Hearts
    Zookeeper
    Fantasy Empires
    X-Wing Alliance

;^)
  • We will need some losers. I'm in.
  • edited February 2013
    Since I am familiar with many of the players, I will be selecting games with their skills in mind. Though I am more likely to select a game that the last place entrant is good at than the first place.

On second thought, I should actually select all the games in advance for fairness sake. I should not influence the result of the tournament by taking current standings into account in the game selection. I will still announce them only at the start of each round, for awesomeness.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2013
    I'm in. Latency will fuck me over, but it's worth it anyway.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Very well, I'm in.

Looking at Rym's list, is sex scored by an impartial judge, or the other participant(s)?
  • Very well, I'm in.

Looking at Rym's list, is sex scored by an impartial judge, or the other participant(s)?
    Battle Royale, last person standing.
  • What about games we don't own, or can't run? I'd join, but I'd be annoyed if I got a zero for an event because I can't shell out money for a game.
  • If there are games I don't own, I won't play them; I don't really mind too much.
  • Are they all going to be Vs games? like 1 on 1 or team games? High score on a game?
  • What about games we don't own, or can't run? I'd join, but I'd be annoyed if I got a zero for an event because I can't shell out money for a game.
    I already said I will not select games that are expensive, unavailable in some regions, or hard to get.
  • edited February 2013
    Are they all going to be Vs games? like 1 on 1 or team games? High score on a game?
    Each round will be its own thing. I will not select games where ping matters as it will unfairly detriment international competitors.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I though we were talking about selecting a certain mode of a game and whoever gets the higher score in a week wins, but judging by some comments I may have a wrong idea. Can we clarify this?
  • I though we were talking about selecting a certain mode of a game and whoever gets the higher score in a week wins, but judging by some comments I may have a wrong idea. Can we clarify this?
    Some rounds may be like this, but not necessarily.
  • edited February 2013
    I though we were talking about selecting a certain mode of a game and whoever gets the higher score in a week wins, but judging by some comments I may have a wrong idea. Can we clarify this?
    As far as I understand, it could be anything.

Any individual game might be played as an independent score competition, it could be a simultaneous free-for-all game, or it could be a series of quick 1v1 matches.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I am going to join...have too many games to play and been watching people race on something awful recently so joining in a competition will be fun. Hopefully there will be some NES games in it with actual points for some of the rounds.
  • Tetris.

BRING IT ON.
  • So, could it be a VS tournament or something like that? Will we need to be present at a certain time to play a round?
  • You can play many board games for free on janky websites. I hope for many multi-player things or heads-up competitions, preferably.
  • Sign me up then.
  • So, could it be a VS tournament or something like that? Will we need to be present at a certain time to play a round?
    You will not need to be online at any specific time. However, you may need to coordinate with opponent(s) to play online at some point before a deadline. Imagine if we had a rock papers scissors tournament. You would have to arrange with your opponent to play at some point before the deadline when you must turn in the result.
  • Question, I understand that the games are going to be a surprise to all what if you enter the competition and simply do not have the game to participate in the round?