This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good Christian Rock

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Rym and Scott sort of dared us to come up with any, but I can say that I've actually heard one song that would fall into this category: "Supernova" by The Echoing Green.

AMV using it

Lyrics

Comments

• Oxymoronic. The whole Christian mindset is pointed away from the concept of good music. Go listen to your Sandy Patty, your Carmen, your DC Talk, your Michael W. Smith, and your Amy Grant. *Shudder*
  • The whole Christian mindset is pointed away from the concept of good music.
    Wrong. It's just that none of the great musicians are forced to create music for the church anymore.

Linkage
  • Wow, I was actually going to start a thread like this right before I saw this.
    I listen to a lot of Christian music, and find a lot of it is crap, not because the band is too bad, but because they don't sing about anything but God. But thats where the good music gets seperated from the bad. The good bands just sing about random stuff (without cursing or talking about sex/drugs) and sometimes find ways of fitting God in their songs, without it sounding forced. Here are a couple that I like alot:
    Mute Math (indie rock)
    mewithoutYou (indie)
    Flyleaf (Rock, Metal-ish I guess)
    Red (Rock, kinda Metal)
    He Is Legend (Post-Hardcore)
  • Norma Jean is actually not bad.

99% of Christian music is total shit.
  • I also like Norma Jean and that one single Switchfoot song (just that one).
  • 10:1 says Rym won't listen to the Christian music any more than he would listen to pseudo-science music, astrology music, homeopathy music, Scientology music, or weirdo conspiracy theorist music.
  • I have been a fan of Project 86 and Thousand Foot Krutch since my Christian Rock crazed friend made me listen to them (and others I didn't like so much) on the way to school every day. I recommend the albums Truthless Heroes and Phenomenon, respectively.
  • Paramore is actually a big Christian band. I was surprised.
  • As I Lay Dying sounds pretty slick.
  • Paramore is actually a big Christian band. I was surprised.
    Really? I like them too.
  • edited September 2007
    Yo dudes, seriously. The whole "CHRISTIAN ROCK=OXYMORON" thing is sooo done to death by now. There's no reason at all that makes that true. I mean, hell, Black Sabbath invented Christian metal. And this is coming from someone who's about as atheistic as they come.

Anyway, uh, Saviour Machine and Narnia are pretty good if you like somewhat-goofy metal like that. And if you don't, hey, whateva. Antestor as well, but I have no clue how many people on this forum would be into black metal at all.
    10:1 says Rym won't listen to the Christian music any more than he would listen to pseudo-science music, astrology music, homeopathy music, Scientology music, or weirdo conspiracy theorist music.
    I dunno about you, but Scientologist country music? Someone's gotta make it happen.
    Post edited by Dave D. on
  • Black Sabbath invented Christian metal? Are you serious? I mean, really.

Most Christian music does suck, because most Christian bands are VERY Christian, and the faith generally looks down on self-indulgence and overt displays of showmanship and so forth. Hence, the music is very watered-down, and not very showy; half of what makes most metal bands any good is their ego, and most Christian bands downplay that a lot.
  • Black Sabbath invented Christian metal? Are you serious? I mean, really.
    Yeah dude. After Forever from Masters of Reality was basically the origin of Christian metal if you think about it. It was a really really pro Christian heavy metal song, probably the first considering there weren't really other metal bands at the time MoR was released. I'd say that's the genesis of Christian metal right there.

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
    If they knew you believe in God above?
    They should realize before they criticize
    that God is the only way to love

Yeah. To be fair though, you ARE right. Most Christian music sucks. But I tend to extend that logic to pretty much any style of music. Most of anything sucks.
  • Well, I guess that since Sabbath is pretty much the genesis of all modern heavy metal as it is, you're technically correct. However, I think other bands had a much bigger influence on the genre as a whole. I mean, Stryper really pulled it into the mainstream and into view.
  • Oxymoronic. The whole Christian mindset is pointed away from the concept of good music. Go listen to your Sandy Patty, your Carmen, your DC Talk, your Michael W. Smith, and your Amy Grant. *Shudder*
    I just thought that if you treat every word separately as in the sense of it being christian rock which is good then it is oxymoronic but if you treat the first two words then the third it becomes rock for good christians which makes it bad rock. [Geek points +2]
  • Most Christian music sucks.
    Sorry to break it to you kids but . . . most music sucks. Period.

Besides, the best Christian music came from the late nineteenth century and was a little into the antisemitism.
  • edited September 2007
    Pillar but that is the closest I have found.

Pillar (Wiki)
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Oh man, the owner of the pizza joint I work at would force us to listen to the local Christian radio station. This wasn't even the listen-able Christian Rock for the most part... It was like Soft Christian Pop Country or "Christian Prop*" to coin a phrase. It was shit like "God is good... God is so good," and "Everything I do is for Him and without Him I am nothing." It was an intense few months until he stopped enforcing it so much.

* Propaganda
  • OMG, I just remembered this blurb that would play between every three songs... It was like "I love this station because they play songs about real love."
  • From Inemy Chain:

"you'll go to hell for being a fake"

greatest "non-satan" rock ever: http://6thstreetradio.org/~davek/InemyChain/
  • How the hell could I forget about Zao?

Their older stuff is all strictly Christian; newer stuff still has some Christian themes, but they also explore other themes.
  • edited September 2007
    Most Christian music sucks.
    Sorry to break it to you kids but . . . most music sucks. Period.
    Wait-wait. Didn't I just say that? In the same post you quoted? But I tend to extend that logic to pretty much any style of music. Most of anything sucks. Yeah.

Also, it should be mentioned that King's X is Christian rock. Kinda. Well, not really, because they really just have a couple songs about the subject and they've denied being a Christian rock band. But hey, everyone should listen to King's X.
    Post edited by Dave D. on
  • How the hell could I forget about Zao?
    [something embedded here]
    Their older stuff is all strictly Christian; newer stuff still has some Christian themes, but they also explore other themes.Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcTMtiHZio.
  • Most Christian music sucks.
    Sorry to break it to you kids but . . .most music sucks. Period.
    Wait-wait. Didn't I just say that? In the same post you quoted?But I tend to extend that logic to pretty much any style of music. Most of anything sucks.Yeah.
    Sorry Dave D. Drunkpost!
  • edited September 2007
    I have been a fan of Project 86 and Thousand Foot Krutch since my Christian Rock crazed friend made me listen to them (and others I didn't like so much) on the way to school every day. I recommend the albums Truthless Heroes and Phenomenon, respectively.
    I rather like Thousand Foot Krutch - I'm surprised there aren't more people in this thread going nuts over them. Surprisingly, I didn't even realize they were a Christian band until I stopped to listen to the lyrics closely. Their emphasis really seems to be on the music rather than any nutty religious dogma, so I recommend people check them out.

Thousand Foot Krutch - Move
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I just remembered that Rym was out of town and never said if he liked/bothered listening to anything.

Also Haste the Day:
  • 10:1 says Rym won't listen to the Christian music any more than he would listen to pseudo-science music, astrology music, homeopathy music, Scientology music, or weirdo conspiracy theorist music.
    He likes Muse.