This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torrent help needed

edited September 2007 in Technology
UTorrent has totally gone on the fritz for me. My port is forwarded correctly, and torrents upload fine. The problem is that nothing is downloading, even though I see the seeders. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, Firefox is now giving me problems when I click on a torrent. It won't open up the torrent, and says that there is a "download error."

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Use the official bittorrent client. I don't know why you people insist on using weird torrent clients.
  • I installed the official Bittorrent client - which happens to be a repackaging of UTorrent.

Fortunately, it now works fine.

I think that the files that aren't downloading are tracked by Demonoid, which has been shut down. That's my best guess at least.
  • Yup... it appears that the trackers are indeed broken.

Is it possible that mininova and other sites link torrents that were tracked by Demonoid? I thought that they each maintained their own trackers.
  • Is it possible that mininova and other sites link torrents that were tracked by Demonoid?
    Yes, and vice versa.
    Use the official bittorrent client. I don't know why you people insist on using weird torrent clients.
    Utorrent lets you choose the individual files out of the torrent that you want. Also, you can have as many as you want running at once. The ability to choose which categories you see (ETA, status, date added, etc.) and the option to sort by those accordingly is very attractive. I haven't used the original client in quite some time, so it's possible you can do all of that in it now.
  • Utorrent lets you choose the individual files out of the torrent that you want. Also, you can have as many as you want running at once. The ability to choose which categories you see (ETA, status, date added, etc.) and the option to sort by those accordingly is very attractive. I haven't used the original client in quite some time, so it's possible you can do all of that in it now.
    I'm not sure which of those features the official client has. However, I can tell you that all those features are useless to me. Just download the torrent and tell me when it's done. What more could I need?
  • Utorrent lets you choose the individual files out of the torrent that you want. Also, you can have as many as you want running at once. The ability to choose which categories you see (ETA, status, date added, etc.) and the option to sort by those accordingly is very attractive. I haven't used the original client in quite some time, so it's possible you can do all of that in it now.
    I'm not sure which of those features the official client has. However, I can tell you that all those features are useless to me. Just download the torrent and tell me when it's done. What more could I need?
    Actually, the individual file pick is very handy. I use it alot if i only want, say, the mp3s from the OCRemix torrents, or somesuch.

• Actually, the individual file pick is very handy. I use it alot if i only want, say, the mp3s from the OCRemix torrents, or somesuch.
    But, OCRemix.org lets you do individual direct downloads...

• Actually, the individual file pick is very handy. I use it alot if i only want, say, the mp3s from the OCRemix torrents, or somesuch.
    But, OCRemix.org lets you do individual direct downloads...
    Torrents are easier sometimes, and i'm pretty sure their albums are torrent-only. Plus, it was just an example.
  • edited September 2007
    Utorrent lets you choose the individual files out of the torrent that you want. Also, you can have as many as you want running at once. The ability to choose which categories you see (ETA, status, date added, etc.) and the option to sort by those accordingly is very attractive. I haven't used the original client in quite some time, so it's possible you can do all of that in it now.
    Well, some people want more control over their torrents. It's no more different than wanting an OS/program that just works versus one that's highly customizable and tweakable.
    Post edited by snookernet on
  • Scott never used µTorrent!?!?! The developers do their best to make sure it works on Windows 95 - Vista and Wine. And the memory footprint is, on average use, below 6 MB. And the CPU usage is near nothing.
    Micro-Sized Yet Feature Filled
    Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in µTorrent, including bandwidth prioritization, scheduling, RSS auto-downloading and Mainline DHT (compatible with BitComet). Additionally, µTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification (compatible with Azureus 2.4.0.0 and above, BitComet 0.63 and above) and peer exchange.
    Resource-Friendly
    µTorrent was written with efficiency in mind. Unlike many torrent clients, it does not hog valuable system resources - typically using less than 6MB of memory, allowing you to use the computer as if it weren't there at all. Additionally, the program itself is contained within a single executable less than 220 KB in size.
    It's one of the, if not the, best torrent client(s) out there.

And you know why the official torrent client looks so much like µTorrent? Because bittorrent realized that µTorrent was waaaaaaay better. And thus they bought the client. They probably just added the µTorrent code they had not yet implemented in the official client, in the official client. Plus aesthetics.
  • I haven't used the the official one in a long time but this is why I switched:
    -All my files in one window (huge at the time) with a customizable 'front page' for the information I want to look at.
    -Plug ins: customize exactly what I need and no more, just like Firefox.
    -RSS Feeds: I have filters set up and everything I want downloaded is automatically downloaded once available.
    -Pick/choose files, this is immensely useful. Let's say I'm downloading a season of anime but only need the second half of the torrent. I just uncheck the episodes I've already seen.

If you use the bittorrents on a daily basis, you like more flexibility. Now that the "official" bittorent client is using µTorrent, I may check it out but with all my RSS filters already set, I likely won't try anything new until I reinstall my entire box (soon).

Disclaimer: of course I only DL legal torrents.
  • edited September 2007
    If I only want to check out the first episode or two of a tv show in a batch torrent.. save myself a few gigs of bandwidth on something I may or may not want. Simple enough answer
    Post edited by Kite on
  • edited September 2007
    Many people state , as do I, that uTorrent is the fastest BitTorrent Client, also it's really small and has all the featureas I need.

I can't wait for it to come out on the Mac.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • I can't wait for it to come out on the Mac.
    You're talking about µTorrent here? Where did you get that from. I never heard about µTorrent also being put out for the Macs. And all those "OMG THIS IS TEH FASTEST BITTORRENT CLIENT IN TEH WORLDZ!" sentences are bullshit. It depends on your connection speed, the number of seeds, and how fast all those seeds wish to send you data. And of course if you've set up your connection and port correctly. The protocol does the rest.
  • edited September 2007
    Many people state , as do I, that it's the fastest BitTorrent Client, also it's really small and has all the featureas I need.
    Poor use of pronouns as we have no idea what bittorrent client you're talking about.

I regularly break the 3MB/sec mark with Azureus. < internet evidence ++
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • edited September 2007
    Is there a Linux or Mac version?

The OSX port is in progress. A Linux port is currently not planned for the future.

However, it is possible to run µTorrent under Wine and Cedega. See the above system requirements question for more details.
    On my Laptop uTorrent gave me the fastest speeds compared to others (BitComet, Azureus, official Client, BitTyrant). But it also matters how the Client use the seeds, otherwise BitTyrant woudn't have caused an uproar.

I didn't use caps nor did I put z the end of a word or use omg.
    Poor use of pronouns as we have no idea what bittorrent client you're talking about
    Yes I forgot to mention the name of the Client, which the author of the thread and most comments talked about. So can't you just say so?
  • Whoa! I didn't mean it in a mean way Jain7th. Sorry. I just really dislike people claiming that one client is faster then the other while it has pretty much nothing to do with the client.

If I recall correctly, Bittyrant hammered the trackers and seeds/peers iirc, which caused said uproar. There are several of those clients. Rumor says (since I'm not sure if it's 100% true) that organizations like the MPAA and all those copyright freaks make/made those clients to get info from the poor people who didn't know what they needed to use and just grabbed one of those bad clients. I only trust µTorrent, Azureus and the official client as proper bittorrent clients. And possibly that Shadow guy something torrent client. But that has less features, far less. Bitcomet is also one of those hammer clients which is pretty much banned on any tracker who's owner has a brain.
  • Many people state , as do I, that uTorrent is the fastest BitTorrent Client, also it's really small and has all the featureas I need.

I can't wait for it to come out on the Mac.
    Have you checked out Transmission? A lot of websites and trackers support the newest version (0.82 as of the time of writing). They fixed the bug that corrupted torrents greater than 4 gigabytes as well as fixed the UPnP problem. Since version 0.80, they've added the option to pick individual files. It doesn't have the versatility of µTorrent but it is very fast and small. I believe µTorrent is still in private beta for Mac OS X.

Demonoid is only down temporarily according to their IRC channel.
  • BitTyrant basically gives seed and peers, who upload quicker, a higher priority. That way they send you more in a shorter time and others get less.

Transmision is banned on Blackcats. And Demonoid is in legal problems in Canada, maybe they have to move again :/

Right now I use Azureus with VUZE, which is kinda nice. Azureus takes a good bite from the computer's ressources but does it's job.
  • Transmision is banned on Blackcats.
    Transmission is not banned on BlackCats. They've allowed it since the release of 0.80. It's in their FAQ section.
  • Transmision is banned on Blackcats.
    Transmission is not banned on BlackCats. They've allowed it since the release of 0.80. It's in their FAQ section.
    When I tried Transmission it was banned from Blackcats and I don't want to start changing Torrent Clients again.
  • It depends on when you tried it. If it was within the past day or so, I believe their tracker was down. If it was quite some time ago, they did not allow Transmission at all. 0.72 is the version most users have, which is on the ban list. Beta versions and nightlies are also not allowed. You may want to double check your version to confirm. I am currently booted into OS X and I can confirm that torrents from Blackcats do indeed work with Transmission 0.82 (the latest).

Just a heads up to anyone that's interested: the Demonoid server is up, but the website is not.
  • edited September 2007
    It was mid august, a short time after I got my MBP. The Client was banned as it showed me in the Status tab. For now I go with Azureus until uTorrent gets released for OS X.
  • Are there any torrent sites left?
  • Are there any torrent sites left?
    Tons. TPB will probably serve most torrents needs.
  • Is TPB still running?
  • edited February 2008
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • I have some questions about optimal use of a BitTorrent client, if you guys wouldn't mind telling me how to learn things. I am currently not as technologically literate as I would like to be (also, I live in fear of trying to mess around with my computer doing something I'm not sure how to do and breaking something), and I don't think I really understand how to properly use port-forwarding and anything else that will help with BitTorrent. Is there a good place where I can learn about this?
  • I torrent quite often. I'm always playing with new programs. I try a few torrent sites in order. Isohunt, The Pirate Bay, which you already mentioned, and Torrent Reactor. I also stumbled-upon Toorgle, which is a torrent search engine like google, but I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet. Hope it works well.
  • Youtorrent is really nice, if you're as lazy as me.