This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Glory to Rome

edited February 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the difficult to acquire re-skin of Glory to Rome. It's a solid game, and worth owning. Just make sure you don't accidentally buy the old one. Also, NVIDIA launches the GTX Titan video card, and Valve officially launches Linux Steam.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Rym, keep playing Super Hexagon. The learning curve is perfectly tuned and you will eventually master it. Cracking 60 seconds in Hyper Hexagonest "hardestest" mode is the closest I've come to having an out-of-body gaming experience.

I like the bit you guys did about the hidden gems in gaming libraries. I would like to throw out two similar card games you guys should try and will not regret. First is Innovation (awesome game with amateur graphic design) and second is Fleet (recent kickstarter so not widely available). I will bring both to PAX.
  • edited February 2013
    On that note can we get Super Hexagon in the FRC Grand Prix ;)
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I've seen Innovation at many conventions and game nights, but still haven't played it. It's definitely not hidden.
  • edited February 2013
    It's not that it's an unknown game. Using hidden in the wrong sense here. I figured it was exactly as you described Glory to Rome, Hive, etc.: you'd seen it a bunch of times (like you just said) but didn't play (as you said). You should play it.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • It's not that it's an unknown game. Using hidden in the wrong sense here. I figured it was exactly as you described Glory to Rome, Hive, etc.: you'd seen it a bunch of times (like you just said) but didn't play (as you said). You should play it.
    The games I was referring to are that little section of old small games that are always piled up at the end of the table in the library. I'll take a pic at PAX East.
  • We'll bring Innovation to PAX East. If not, I'm sure there are several copies in TT Library.
  • We'll bring Innovation to PAX East. If not, I'm sure there are several copies in TT Library.
    Just make sure you are playing it correctly this time ;)
  • I vouch for Carl Chudyk. Glory to Rome is great, so is Innovation. So is Uchronia. I got it the other day and it's a more streamlined and balanced version of GtR. I think overall its more strategic but a little more bland as there aren't any WTF OP cards. Curious if anyone else has played both and which they like more.
  • edited February 2013
    Sorry for the double post, I'm using a tablet on very low connection speeds, not working so good.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I thought it was a little weird that you guys said that the GTX 690 is an overclocked GTX 680 when actually it is clocked lower (reference models), it's more like 2 GTX 680's in SLI. It's
    Huh, I guess I read the wrong thing on the Internets.
  • I thought it was a little weird that you guys said that the GTX 690 is
    an overclocked GTX 680 when actually it's clocked lower (reference
    models), it's more like 2 GTX 680's in SLI. So it's an
    alternative for people that want to SLI and rather not mess with 2
    cards.
  • edited February 2013
    You guys missed what the GTX Titan is really about. Yes, it's the fastest single-GPU card on the market by a pretty wide margin, but even so it's slower than the GTX 690 (which has two GPUs on it). Both seem to cost around $1000.

However, the main niche for the Titan is, in fact, as an entry-level version of the Nvidia Tesla cards (a third brand in addition to Quadro and GeForce), which is oriented specifically towards GPGPU applications. In fact, many of those cards don't even have video output ports.

The GK110 architecture that Titan uses was, before now, only used by the high-end $3000 Tesla cards (though Titan obviously has some limitations so that they can still sell those $3000 cards). It offers certain features you won't find anywhere else, like having a large number of double-precision CUDA cores, and other new technologies Nvidia has come up with.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Out of curiosity, what's this game "supposed" to cost?
  • After hearing Scrym's review of this game, then seeing numerous people I know on Twitter talk about how they thing the Catacombs and Forum ruin the game (after playing it together at PrezCon), I'm further convinced that most people have a very poor ability to do any critical analysis of games. Having not played it yet, the arguments made in the episode seem pretty rational in favor of having this variety of ways to end the game.
  • The thing I liked most about Glory to Rome was how varied each game seemed it could be - this being primarily due to the varied end conditions, including cards like the Catacombs.
  • If you can't get Glory to Rome, Uchronia is basically a more streamlined version of it, by the same creator.
  • I think the thing I like most about GtR is that it's multi-track gaming. There are really three different "games" going on at the same time:

-The Vault game: the default game of building a machine to get points from materials. This is a race.

-The Catacomb game: a sub-set of the Vault game, this is the game of chicken that is created when someone is gunning to finish a Catacomb. It's kind of like tennis.

-The Forum game: You're either playing this game, or attempting to destroy the guy who's doing it. This may involve a concerted effort on the part of other players.

In order to succeed, you have to keep track of the state of all three of these games, and take moves that best advance your position on these tracks.
  • Glory to Rome was published by the Cambridge Games Factory (Cambridge, MA). I wonder if they'll be at PAX East with copies for sale.
  • Glory to Rome was published by the Cambridge Games Factory (Cambridge, MA). I wonder if they'll be at PAX East with copies for sale.
    Cambridge Games Factory is one of the worst companies in the board game business. It is completely mismanaged and after selling out of their copies to the people who Kickstarted the game, they never made a second print run. I don't expect them to either be at PAX East, or have copies for sale.

The designer of Glory to Rome, Carl Chudyk, had such a huge falling out with the people who ran the company that he basically abandoned the game, and created Uchronia. For some background on the bad blood between Chudyk and Cambridge Games Factory, check out this very long thread on BGG:

• Oh god, that is so much drama and fail in the same place. Ugh.