This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are the MP3 tags missing?

edited September 2007 in GeekNights
I am not seeing the MP3 tags on the podcasts anymore. All I get is a title that represents the date, like '20070926'. Is anyone else experiencing the same? The new icon comes across fine, though.

Comments

• I am not seeing the MP3 tags on the podcasts anymore. All I get is a title that represents the date, like '20070926'. Is anyone else experiencing the same? The new icon comes across fine, though.
    In order to do the ID3 with the picture, I think Rym changed what tool he uses to add the ID3. ID3s are generally very difficult because you have to deal with the v1 and the v2, and every program and player reads them differently. We generally just make sure that iTunes and iPods read them properly, and we try to keep to the standard. That's the only way we can make it work for the most possible people.
  • I started using id3 version 2, which is the industry standard the world over.  Broken and old players/software can't read them, but they are necessary for iPod pictures and the like.  Most podcasts use them. ^_~
  • Yeah, I was going to mention that when I play Geeknights on my MP3 player lately, it starts by reading as about 2 and a half hours in, but plays the beginning, and then after 5 seconds, my player restarts it and it works fine.
  • What kind of players are you guys using?
  • I'm currently switching between Foobar and Winamp, deciding which I like best. I like Foobar's small nature, but the WinAmp interface is a bit nicer to use and syncs with my (non-iPod) MP3 player.
  • I'm currently switching between Foobar and Winamp, deciding which I like best. I like Foobar's small nature, but the WinAmp interface is a bit nicer to use and syncs with my (non-iPod) MP3 player.
    What is your non-iPod?
  • SanDisk that i picked up for 30 bucks on sale. The 256 megs is more than enough for my needs.
  • Two gig first gen nano. Love it. Use Explorer and iTunes to update it. Sometimes the ID3 tags don't appear in explorer. I think they haven't been downloaded correctly then.
  • Two gig first gen nano. Love it. Use Explorer and iTunes to update it. Sometimes the ID3 tags don't appear in explorer. I think they haven't been downloaded correctly then.
    Why do you use explorer? If you're using iTunes, then subscribe!
  • Why do you use explorer? If you're using iTunes, then subscribe!
    I manually download the eps, so I can check on the Things of the Day whilst the ep is downloading. Then, once it's done, I right click on my download statusbar and select "Open Folder" which (when logged into Windows) results in explorer popping up. Then I attach my iPod to the computer, and start up iTunes, drag the new episode to my iPod in iTunes. Wait till it's synchronized and then close iTunes as fast as possible. My internet connection isn't that fast, and even worse this past week because the ISP has some trouble, but I just don't want iTunes hogging resources to download podcasts when I can do it with Google Reader and Download Statusbar. I only use the crappy iTunes for the synchronizing. Anything else has a better option. Winamp for playing, Media Player Classic for vids, Firefox for downloading and stuff.
  • So why don't you sync directly with Winamp? There is noe need to use iTunes if you don't want to. The plugin I used was Ml_iPod (hope I remember correctly).
  • If people have problems because they insist on getting the podcast in some strange and convoluted way, we will not help you.
  • So why don't you sync directly with Winamp? There is noe need to use iTunes if you don't want to. The plugin I used was Ml_iPod (hope I remember correctly).
    Didn't know that was possible. Either way, it can't beat the plug, drag, close from iTunes. And iTunes is guaranteed to work properly with iPods.
  • Didn't know that was possible. Either way, it can't beat the plug, drag, close from iTunes. And iTunes is guaranteed to work properly with iPods.
    You can beat that with the iTunes subscribe, sync, eject. And you only have to subscribe once ever.
  • You can beat that with the iTunes subscribe, sync, eject. And you only have to subscribe once ever.
    And then iTunes is hogging resources for half an hour instead of one minute. I like my method. Gets me to the forum, the things of the day and the news while downloading the ep and being able to see its progress, time left and speed (color) when watching the things of the day, the news, or the forums.
  • With the standart settings iTunes only downloads the latest release and when you press the arrow on the left side of the feed you can tell iTunes which mp3 it should download or download all.

In the settings for podcasts you can set the time when iTunes should look if there are new mp3s in the feed, or you set it to manually and it wont do anything with your internet connection.
  • I know the settings Jain7th. There is no setting which will make iTunes download faster. And I don't want it resource hogging. And besides, iTunes only downloads. It can't show the shownotes, thus I have to surf to frontrowcrew.com either way, and when I'm there, I can also download the episode and watch it progress without switching back to the iTunes window. Now I know alt-tab isn't that hard or much, but still, it takes me away from whatever I'm browsing to in Firefox.

i.e. iTunes is useless for me besides the synchronizing. I need it for nothing more for there are better alternatives.
  • Have you ever tried Wizz RSS? That's what I use for monitoring podcasts.
  • If you're going to do a browser-based option, why not just use Google Reader?
  • edited September 2007
    If you're going to do a browser-based option, why not just useGoogle Reader?That's a very good point.

Edit:

Actually, it looks like Google Reader only lets you mark the most recent 10 entries in a feed as having been read, and I don't like that. I would like to be able to see whether or not I've read older entries.
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • If you're going to do a browser-based option, why not just useGoogle Reader?
    See =>
    but I just don't want iTunes hogging resources to download podcasts when I can do it with Google Reader and Download Statusbar.
    @ Xenomouse. Ehm... my Google reader has all eps in the Geeknights feed marked as read. It's a bit weird to use it at first (give it a minute) but it's awesome.
  • @ Xenomouse. Ehm... my Google reader has all eps in the Geeknights feed marked as read. It's a bit weird to use it at first (give it a minute) but it's awesome.What I meant is that it indicates that all the entries in the feed were read, but I haven't yet read all the entries. It would be nice to see which ones I haven't read.

I agree, though, that Google Reader is awesome. I already got rid of Wizz RSS and switched to Google Reader. I noticed that one idiosyncrasy is that while it displays a little embedded mp3 player for most of the podcasts I monitor, it does not display that player for GeekNights. Actually, this isn't a huge deal as I don't like playing mp3s through my browser, since browsing around on other tabs causes the audio to hiccup.