This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Special 014 - This is Not a Charity!

13»

Comments

• You guys are missing the obvious - if it can't make it at midnight, it aint ever going to make it. Think about it... when are college kids and younger folks watching TV in disproportionate numbers? Midnight would be as prime as it gets for an audience that is skewed towards the anime demographic. And yet it didn't make it in that time slot - where only small numbers are needed to keep a show afloat. If that's the case, then it certainly won't make it in a time slot with a lower proportion of young folks.

While numerically more people may watch anime at 7pm, it would get trounced by the competition if the college kids couldn't even keep going at midnight. TV is not a charity. If something is going to get better ratings, that's what they are going to air.

I'm not saying that anime audiences can't grow, I'm just pointing out that it will never have the same audience as mainstream television - and that's why there will never be the same economy of scale.
    Again, you are assuming that we keep the same target audience. The Wii is being sold to old ladies. The anime could be watched by soccer moms. You won't know until you try.
  • The anime could be watched by soccer moms. You won't know until you try.
    That's a good point. Since it can cover such a broad spectrum of topics, you really could tailor it to the demographic. A daytime "soap opera" type anime might do quite well.
  • I suppose TV is sort of a lost cause. The ideal way to make the most money on releases would be making the Japaneses companies see sense and selling DRM free downloads for say $4 each.
  • The anime could be watched by soccer moms. You won't know until you try.
    That's a good point. Since it can cover such a broad spectrum of topics, you really could tailor it to the demographic. A daytime "soap opera" type anime might do quite well.
    It does. My completely un-geeky wife will watch that kinda stuff. She just never would've even been exposed to it if it weren't for me. She was commenting GitS once after going to see one of the movies in the theater and she said it was too gross and scary. I said, well, give Love Hina a try. Now she watches all kinds of stuff like that. ^_~
  • edited September 2007
    You'd have to think that at some point in time, various anime companies must have at least tried getting their shows on prime time TV. I mean, it wouldn't make any sense if they just didn't try at all. Perhaps they've tried and failed in the past? It's always seemed to me that by and large the American public just doesn't really get animation as a serious artistic medium yet (Titan A.E., anyone?). Yet if you think about it, something like Bebop going mainstream would be the perfect thing to get that idea across to the general public.
    Post edited by Dave D. on
  • Hey all, Kate here. You know, the one who wrote the e-mail.

I basically wrote in because of the state of the anime industry. I am concerned about it and feel that it isn't as healthy as it could be. However, it is certainly not in the worst state. I thought this would be a interesting discussion for Geek Nights and it turns out I was right. I want to mention that I wasn't trying to demand anything from anyone. But I feel there is nothing wrong with making an appeal to fans to question their purchasing habits.

Thanks everyone for the comments, there were a lot of interesting topics brought up (minus the ones questioning my mental capacity and/or telling me to die). There is certainly no clear cut answers on the subject. If anyone wants to read our (mine and a friend's blog) lengthy feedback about the show, you can visit us as www.reversethieves.com.
  • I thought this would be a interesting discussion for Geek Nights and it turns out I was right. I want to mention that I wasn't trying to demand anything from anyone. But I feel there is nothing wrong with making an appeal to fans to question their purchasing habits.I think you're right about this being a decent discussion topic. The problem is that you don't have the benefit of tone when typing an email, so Scott misunderstands your meaning and gets pissed off.
  • so Scott misunderstands your meaning and gets pissed off.
    . . . which was the awesome. ^_^ I listened to that rant four times at least.
  • so Scott misunderstands your meaning and gets pissed off.
    . . . which was the awesome. ^_^ I listened to that rant four times at least.
    I thought I was the only one. Whoa.

Anyway, I would've gotten Scott's impression by reading the email too.
  • edited October 2007
    Can I just say that it's like 30 a disc for all anime in Australia.  It rarely goes below this unless there is a stock sale at a store.  And, for anime, that doesn't happen often. Boxsets cost a lot as well: 60+. Trigun costs 120 or more at the moment.   In Aus, the only way to get it for less is by getting it second hand.

PS  Oh, and it takes about 6 to 12 months longer to get to Australia.  If we try and get it from America, it's around 50 dollars. So, it's a lot more expensive. I'm just pointing it out to you guys.
    Post edited by Rym on
    edited October 2007

Can Ijust saythat it'slike 30 a disc for all anime inAustralia.Itrarely goes belowthisunlessthere is a stock sale at a store.And,for anime,that doesn't happen often.Boxsets cost a lot as well: 60+.Trigun costs 120 or more at the moment.InAus, the only waytoget it for less is by getting it second hand.

PSOh,and it takes about 6 to 12 months longer to get toAustralia.If we try and get it fromAmerica,it'saround 50 dollars.So, it'sa lot more expensive.I'm justpointing it out to you guys.

Mr. Period, stop writing posts for people.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I think a show such as Nana could easily be a huge hit in the States if marketed to it's teen girl demographic. Put it in an after school time slot or on one of those "woman" networks as a weekly show.

Unlike your Naruto/Dragonball type shows Nana is entirely character driven and covers issues that real people are likely to face. If someone just took the storyline for that anime and used American actors it would be a huge hit.
  • It's true. Real people are likely to face issues like being a spoiled princess and automatically getting a job at a furniture store based on your looks and moving into a gigantic apartment that's basically free.

Nana would be better if 1/2 of its main characters didn't suck shit.
  • If someone just took the storyline for that anime and used American actors it would be a huge hit.
    I agree with this. Sometime when I watch it I get an american feel rather than an anime feel. Luckily this is licensed already so I hear.
  • edited October 2007
    Nana..... covers issues that real people are likely to face.

What universe do you live in where people are routinely torn between two rockstars?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Real life issues covered in Nana:

Girl leaving comfort of home to chase boyfriend in big city to find him leave her for another girl.
    Girl trying to make it on her own (more or less) without family help.
    Girl dealing with finding out she is pregnant from prior boyfriend.
    Girl realizing she married for security and not for love.
    What universe do you live in where people are routinely torn between two rockstars?
    Ignoring the rockstar factor I have come across many people torn between two people. Life is often stranger than fiction. Those of you who are on the young side may not realize this but people from your past will become famous and successful in the future. You will encounter these people in the future. It is a small world. Why do you find it so hard to believe that you might know someone who makes it big as a rockstar?
  • It's true. Real people are likely to face issues like being a spoiled princess and automatically getting a job at a furniture store based on your looks and moving into a gigantic apartment that's basically free.
    Only if they are screwing the owner.
  • A lot of girls I know and myself can relate to the feelings and some situations the both Nana's and supporting characters face. The rock star plot is an audience catcher. The characters are an audience keeper.
  • Real life issues covered in Nana:

Ignoring the rockstar factor I have come across many people torn between two people. Life is often stranger than fiction. Those of you who are on the young side may not realize this but people from your past will become famous and successful in the future. You will encounter these people in the future. It is a small world. Why do you find it so hard to believe that you might know someone who makes it big as a rockstar?
    Spoilers! >.o
  • This episode was tweeted a few days ago. Great rant from Scott! I think the "Your business is not a charity!" message is still pretty relevant, but probably less so now.
  • Even though it's been a long ass time since I heard this, I still use this theory a lot.
  • I listened to a lot of the archives, but I have almost zero interest in manga, anime, comics and cartoons. I skipped the vast majority of the Wednesday episodes, so I guess this is the first time I've heard it.