This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ask Rym & Scott - Monday Sci/Tech

Comments

• See, that really doesn't tell me anything. I think a bit more specific info would help me and maybe a few other folks who haven't ventured into the Linux world.
    Have you checked the "Getting into Linux" episode? Scrym has(?) already answered that question in an entire episode.
  • Okay, I'm not that good at descriptions or asking some things in a good way but here goes.

On my computer video doesn't play well. It lags badly or it's pink and orange. I tried a lots of media players, got codecs and googled the problem with no success.

Is it just the video card? Some other problem with my PC? Something I should install?

• On my computer video doesn't play well. It lags badly or it's pink and orange. I tried a lots of media players, got codecs and googled the problem with no success.

Is it just the video card? Some other problem with my PC? Something I should install?
    This is actually a really good question, but you wouldn't realize it.
  • Hey... question.

I heard you guys mention at the end of a show that getting your podcasts out are automatic -- a push of a button. I can see how scripts can work for most of this, but does that automation include audio editing? For example, removing long "ahhs" and "umms" or editing out parts? Or are you guys that good -- you don't do second takes? If the later is true, I'm pretty impressed since you guys always seem so prepared with each show -- no floundering and smooth.

Anyways...just wondering. Thanks.
  • What's the least expensive way to start and host a forum?
  • Would you guys recommend a Mac to other people? In what program on a computer do you prefer to listen to music or watch video in?

I believe Rym and Scott did a whole episode on the music and video program of choice and it was the freeware Mplayer in which case you don't need to install any other programs, just download specific codecs that you need from the Mplayer site.
    However their own preferences might differentiate.
  • What's the least expensive way to start and host a forum?I'm thinking a cheap LAMP server with PhpBB.
  • withPhpBB.
    Or Vanilla. Or Simple Machines. Vanilla > SMF > phpBB.
  • Can you please comment on why Evolutionists continue to believe the dogmatic principles of Darwinism instead of embracing the obvious truth of His magnificence?
  • Can you please comment on why Evolutionists continue to believe the dogmatic principles of Darwinism instead of embracing the obvious truth of His magnificence?Because you're in the wrong thread?
  • When will this DRM crap end?

Will the music industry ever get their shit together?
  • Can you explain why we don't need to worry about the dudes messing with the Large Hadron Collider destroying our little blue planet?
  • Starfox: About the frozen light - I don't think they actually freeze it.
  • edited October 2007
    Well, you can't literally freeze photons, but they do use extremely low temperatures. At least the one I know about.

Should we send people back to the Moon? To Mars? Elsewhere? I REALLY don't want NASA messing with my Secret Moon Base.
    What do you think about space exploration in general?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • I've recently been looking into setting up a VPN server so I can actually access my files instead of just looking at them via VNC. I've found a handful of open source tools but generally nothing in the way of how to use said tools or how to go about setting up a VPN server. I'm trying to get it setup on a windows machine which makes things slightly harder because all the quality tools that are free are built for and around Linux.

Any guidance the folks on the forums or Rym and Scott can offer would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forums as well before posting this and it looks like no one has ever discussed VPN.
  • edited October 2007
    Well, you can't literally freeze photons, but they do use extremely low temperatures. At least the one I know about.
    [The light is] "frozen" with the help of two control beams. The light in the control beams interacts with the rubidium atoms to create layers that alternately transmit and reflect the pulse.
    As the signal tries to propagate through these layers, the photons bounce backwards and forwards between them. As a result, the pulse makes no forward progress - the light is "frozen" in place. The pulse is set free when the control beams are turned off. . . .
    . . . two groups reported they had stopped light (New Scientist 08/08/01). Lukin was involved in one of these experiments, the other was led by Lene Hau, now at Harvard.
    Both teams slowed light down by passing it through a gas of atoms. Lukin used hot rubidium atoms, Hau super-cooled sodium.
    Source.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What type of psudeo-science gets your blood boiling?
  • What type of energy generation do you think civilization should pursue? What are the benefits and risks of said type of energy generation?
  • Why is it not possible to get rid of radioactive waste by splitting it into smaller and smaller elements?
  • What are some good programming practices you guys recommend/use? When attacking a programming problem how do you choose to attack it? Do you try to divide and conquer? Try to solve everything at once? Do you usually try to get a working algorithm or a flow chart before actually writing code, or do you just go for it? Do you try and comment your code as you go, all at the end, or not comment at all?
  • What's the coolest recent tech invention? It can be anything from consumer to military to industrial.

I dig that liquid body armor that instantly hardens when it gets hit by something.
  • edited October 2007
    I have a laptop with an external hardrive connected and always on. Is it bad for either of them to be on for many days at a time?
    Why do storage mediums always have less space than it says?
    How do I overclock my laptop duo core processer and is it safe for the laptop?
    Can you actually get free X box's and ipods from those adds?
    Post edited by iruul on
  • I would love to watch more of your recommended videos but I live in Australia and we have strange bandwidth issues here.
    I have a very fast link about 18 mbits/s or 2.15 mbytes/s but I'm am limited to how much I can download.
    So whenever I go to a video to check it out I download the whole thing before I get an idea of whether I like it or not.
    This 100 megabytes can be costly when I have only 300 megabytes a day to use.

My Question.

Is there a way to slow down or pause the downloading of a flash video whilst watching it?

Thank you
  • Why does Japan have such crazy bandwidth everywhere? Why doesn't the U.S.?
    Do you think there will ever not be network neutrality?
  • What's the advantage of a USB gaming headset? I've got the nice little speaker and microphone jacks on the back of my computer. Why take up a USB port if I don't have to?
  • What is the best MP3 player?
  • Is it a waste of time to plug a USB thumb drive into a Vista PC and use it for speeding up the system?
  • How do you feel about people who say "We have to support the open source community"?