This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Most popular websites and traffic

edited September 2007 in Everything Else

Cool graph I found. You can see the booms and falls of the internet with MSN, Google, and Yahoo. Fall in 2001, boom in 2005. To get more graphs like these, go to www.alexa.com .

Comments

• That's really old, and they found that it's basically completely unreliable.
  • Cool graphs are cool.
  • Alexa only counts IE users who have the Alexa toolbar installed. That means it basically tracks stupid Internet users, and not geeks. It's pretty old and worthless. Most people just ignore it. I think they only keep going with it because it makes them money in some way.
  • Look into Compete they are a new player in the stat market and claim to pull their data from things other than a toolbar.
  • Alexa only counts IE users who have the Alexa toolbar installed. That means it basically tracks stupid Internet users, and not geeks. It's pretty old and worthless. Most people just ignore it. I think they only keep going with it because it makes them money in some way.
    There's a Firefox Alexa toolbar now - here.  It seems to provide information to Alexa, anyway.
  • Okay, so they only report on people using IE, that have their toolbar installed (that I've never heard of). Sure, that's good data.
  • Okay, so they only report on people using IE, that have their toolbar installed (that I've never heard of). Sure, that's good data.
    Because advertisers believe in Alexa those who make money online also have to "believe" in Alexa. Same deal with Google Page Rank. I would be a much happier webmaster if neither of those two things existed.