This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

hackers vs. crackers

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Are you serious rimmy? You're dissing hackers and lumping them in with "crackers"? I'm sure you know the difference.

Journalists used to be called hackers. A "hacker" is anyone who has the metal capacity to have muscle memory to "hack" on a keyboard. This would include writers, piano players, organ masters, programmers, and perpetrators. You should know and respect that... by now.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure that Rym, along with alot of people on these forums, know the difference. From memory I'm pretty sure he was, in the contexts of the show, simply describing a general group of people who would try to gain access to your system without your knowledge/consent.

You like looking for arguments dont you?
  • We know the supposed difference. We were making fun of the people who are super anal and freak out when people use the wrong word.
  • Lessee... hackers are people who use things for more then just their intended purpose. And crackers are people who created programs to unlock other programs. Right? My definitions are rusty.
  • I think that piling all the "bad" hackers under a new invented term, like "black hat", or "cracker", is an artificial distinction. What we need to do is refer to the "bad" hackers by what they do, not some new term. Do they deface websites? Then they're a vandal. Do they steal information? Then they're a thief or, at the very least, a break-in. We don't need new terms for old stuff that goes on in a new venue.
  • As far as I know, the terms black, gray and white hat are not that new. And it shows the intentions of the hacker in question. A white hat hacker wants to find vulnerabilities and inform the creators so that they can fix their applications. Gray hats want to show they can write programs to use said vulnerability to their benefits, and black hats use said programs to exploit the vulnerabilities.
  • metal capacity
    I guess I'm not sure if I have the metal capacity to be a hacker.
  • metal capacityI guess I'm not sure if I have the metal capacity to be a hacker.I probably ate a bunch of paint chips when I was little, so I bet my metal capacity is up to snuff (lead counts, right?).
  • (lead counts, right?)
    It's a poor metal.
  • And it's a heavy metal, but not as heavy as these:

• edited October 2007
    You're dissing hackers and lumping them in with "crackers"? I'm sure you know the difference... You should know and respect that... by now.
    We were making fun of the people who are super anal and freak out when people use the wrong word.
    (pwned!)
    Post edited by Sail on