This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Emotions - Anger

edited March 2013 in Everything Else
What makes you angry?

What do you do when you've become angry?

Comments

• Is this your psych 101 homework, or does your therapist assign homework like my kid's does?
  • You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
  • edited March 2013
    What makes you angry?
    People who ask too many questions.
    Give smart-ass responses.

In reality, it takes a lot to make me truly angry. Annoyed? Irritated? Those are more frequent. When I do get there, I try to find healthy ways to vent my anger - exercise, running, angry music, general movement, and so forth.

I have been angry enough to wish harm upon a person, but I've never actually harmed anyone as a result of my anger.

Rampant willful ignorance tends to make me angrier faster than almost any other stimulus - doubly so when it's coupled with someone taking pride in their ignorance, and when they spread it to others.

Generally, if your ideas harm only you, I don't give a rat's ass. If you would cause harm or inflict ignorance on others, my rage meter will increase.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • What makes you angry?

1. Being frustrated

2. Grumpyface.
  • I start to snap at people when I become stressed, which generally happens when I'm in a position where I feel responsible for something and there are elements that I'm not in control over (usually due to other people).
  • RymRym
    edited March 2013
    In the Kingkiller Chronicle's second book, anger is also sex (according to the kung fu masters who have so much sex that they don't know it causes babies, and with whom sexually transmitted disease is unheard of).

They go on about how Kvothe is full of anger. Strong anger. More than one of them has sex with him.

/just sayin'
    Post edited by Rym on
  • How are you defining angry? I've got a whole range of buttons and reactions from "slightly miffed" to "red haze of death".
  • In all honesty, anger (not Kvothe sex-anger) is not something I experience on a deep level. My scale of anger-like emotion is basically:

Indifference > Annoyance > Exasperation > Pity > Sadness
  • I haven't been truly angry in a very long time.
  • In all honesty, anger (not Kvothe sex-anger) is not something I experience on a deep level. My scale of anger-like emotion is basically:

So you're even elitist when you're angry?

Seriously, though, that seems like an easily broken generalization. Is EVERY source of anger a social one or one that could conceivably inspire pity for the instigators (or yourself?)

Fuck that book. He should just write a spin-off called The Travels of Elodin. I would read the shit out of that.

• I have perpetual anger. It's a slow roasted anger. It's the rational sith lord anger that lets you rule a galactic empire without being consumed by it. I understand anger. I accept anger. I am not controlled by anger.

• Seriously, though, that seems like an easily broken generalization. Is EVERY source of anger a social one or one that could conceivably inspire pity for the instigators (or yourself?)
    Yes. There is a point of outrage beyond which there is no rational course but pity. One must simply ask "how did it come to this?" and consider how such a thing could be prevented in the future.

I leave out my reaction to the stimulus: this simple progression is merely my emotion. But in general, there is a point of outrage beyond which I can act with nothing but a cold and calculated response.
  • To wit, I can imagine no situation where extreme anger does not also warrant pity from at least one party.
  • edited March 2013
    I haven't been truly angry in a long time, but the last few times that I have been, it was because I was assaulted or my possessions were vandalized.

In each instance, I removed myself from the situation as quickly as possible before I did something I would regret.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • To wit, I can imagine no situation where extreme anger does not also warrant pity from at least one party.
    Righteous Indignation. To something like slavery.
  • My last two apartment incited a lot of hatred and anger. But that is because somehow Pullman manages to breed two types of people, normal nice people that graduate and leave the town, or dropout fuckheads that are just there to party, do drugs, and inconvenience others. My first apartment I was assured by one of my friends that these two guys would be cool to live with. He was wrong as they invited their entire posse to crash at our house for a year despite me taking as many measures as I could to keep them out. The second one was my fault due to a strong desire to leave the previous place. Now that I have no roommates I'm quite content with my living situation.
  • Is this your psych 101 homework, or does your therapist assign homework like my kid's does?
    lol what? I'm asking the question out of intellectual curiosity.

I've only gotten angry out of something serious ever happening, for example someone robbing me for my phone at knife point.

However there's been times where minor and trivial situations have escalated into less than trivial situations, because some people be dum-b, which perpetuates the situation. Highly aggravating, since I can be perceived as condescending if I simply explain my point, and at the same time the same person I’m making my point to is speaking condescendingly without explaining anything.

In summary, communicating with other people can be frustrating, when they only like to listen to themselves.

I very rarely get frustrated because of other people, but it's been happening more frequently lately, since I'm having to work with people, who frankly don't give a shit about working.

To old for this childish behaviour.
  • Fuck that book. He should just write a spin-off called The Travels of Elodin. I would read the shit out of that.
    +1

I don't think I have ever gone from calm to anger. It is always via some other emotion and that emotion taints the anger be something slightly different.

Example: I drop $40 cash at the store and realize it halfway from the store to work, I drive back and after I park someone backs into my car and leaves. Then I am late to work and get reprimanded by the boss. In that case I would be angry in the extremely frustrated at the situation kind of angry.

It sounds like Dazzle369 is of a similar mind.

Is this the case for other people as well?

• To be fair, I'll actually usually head toward amusement rather than anything else.
  • Doesn't everybody punch a hole in something at least once in their life? Isn't that like... a rule?

I seem to not be able to get angry about important stuff, like when I'm lied to or falsely accused or when someone tries to cheat me or something like that, but I'll get kinda batty if, say, I let some food go bad without eating it.
  • edited March 2013
    I once tried to punch a hole in something that was backed by concrete. My hand has never been quite the same. Now I avoid trying to hit anything. Ever.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited March 2013
    One of my more petty angers is being slighted or talked down to. It doesn't turn into red-faced rage, but it does piss me off. It started when I was a little kid when that was extremely common. It doesn't happen much as an adult, who would talk down to me now? But if they do, I tend to confront them directly about it.

I also get angry on other peoples behalf for the same thing. I stick up for younger people and outsiders relatively frequently. I really despise people being discounted for such things.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Yeah, as far as being talked down to, there was a point in my life when I realized that it wasn't my problem if someone wanted to do that to me. That's all on them.

I've saved a lot of sanity on that one. Wear the world loosely, as they say.
  • That's the proper response to most versions of it, but sometimes people need to be confronted as well. A lot of issues that involve people not respecting other individuals autonomy are the ones that really irk me.
  • I stick up for younger people and outsiders relatively frequently. I really despise people being discounted for such things.
    I have to give you a lot of credit for actually doing that. Every time I think to myself "I should really say something" the moment has long past and I am left with the feeling that I failed somehow for not reacting sooner. Hindsight sucks that way.

• I can't say I'm at 100% efficiency at that. It's hard to always be aware enough and in the right state of mind at the time.
  • On behalf of the younger people and outsiders, you're doing a good enough job. Even %10 efficiency is well welcomed.
  • Condescension is probably the quickest way to piss me off, but then, I also tend to dismiss people's (generally unfounded) views based on their age, which I shouldn't do even though I often think the refutation is obvious and shouldn't need to be stated.
  • I also tend to dismiss people's (generally unfounded) views based on their age, which I shouldn't do even though I often think the refutation is obvious and shouldn't need to be stated.
    I hadn't noticed.