This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Accidental BIOS password?

edited March 2013 in Technology
Hey guys, I'm sorry to be asking this, but I couldn't find any other solutions by googling. Somehow my father, on his Toshiba Satellite a505, set a BIOS password on accident. Even though he's an IT professional he doesn't really know anything about personal computing. I don't know how he would have known to set this BIOS password in the first place. Apparently he was on website last night, something started "acting up" so he shut the computer down. (They can't tell me what this "acting up" is). He tried to get back on the computer, and this BIOS password screen came up. Or at least, I think it's a BIOS screen. It's a black, blank screen with a blue "enter password" box. I can't access the boot menu or setup utility before this screen appears.
Unfortunately, I know just enough about computers to fix some basic stuff. This has exceeded my knowledge base.
I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer. Thank you!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    You're going to need to do a CMOS reset - get the manual with the motherboard information, and you'll need to either remove both the normal battery and the CMOS battery, or if it has a jumper you can also use that to reset the BIOS

EDIT: Also, in the future I recommend taking specific support questions to either StackOverflow or calling Toshiba's support.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Thank you very much. And I apologize.
  • Actually, go to superuser.com instead of StackOverflow.
  • No need to apologize, they're just more likely to be helpful than we are. I mean, going to Toshiba support takes time being on hold and the like, but they're also people who are paid to know the machines (at least to an extent) and help you fix them.
  • It's also slightly possible that the manufacturer, retailer, or previous owner (if any) set this BIOS password for their own reasons.
  • edited March 2013
    Also, welcome to the forum. You may want to make a post in the "Identify Yourself" thread so we know a little more about you other than the fact that your father has a Toshiba. Derp. Why does your profile say you've only visited once, even though you've made several posts?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I've been lurking a while now, but I never post! Which, I suppose, is quite common.
  • edited March 2013
    Well, you should keep posting.

AND YOU! All you other lurkers! Get in here and post! It's not like we bite... well, most of us don't, anyway.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Can I post?
  • No, bronz. Back to the IRC with you.
  • Well, you should keep posting.

AND YOU! All you other lurkers! Get in here and post! It's not like we bite... well, most of us don't, anyway.
    No, there is definitely biting. AND IT'S CATCHING. that said, get in! (;