This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kilarney on FNPL.

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Kyle did a wonderful job on the FNPL podcast yesterday. I'm really hoping he has time to become a regular. Sadly, Scott couldn't make it this week, but I think he'll be back in future.

Here are the topics we discussed:

--After Alan Greenspan's interview aired on 60 Minutes, the price of gold has gone up. He predicts future double digit inflation. If hyperinflation happens in this country, does it make sense to to keep $5k in gold coins just to buy bread? Silver is another option, but it's more volatile. What do you think a person should do by way of currency in the face of world wide economic chaos?

--Does your source of news color your world-view? Geeks generally get news from a variety of sources, but what if your only source was CNN, Fox News or your local newspaper. Would the particular agency viewpoint make you see things only in that light? (11:15)

--Do Not Want. You've seen the meme, but what things in life do you actively avoid? (25:07)

--There was an article on Digg about a guy who was active on the Something Awful forums who killed a couple of people. Is it strange that they bothered to link a killer to a forum? Are forums new ways to associate people? Are forums the new Masons? Or is it more like the Sharks and the Jets? (36:16)

--Teh social networks. Do you use any of them? I had someone find me from High School yesterday on Facebook. I've had some good discussions on Linkedin. But is there any real point to it and can you explain how Facebook could really be worth more than $1.95 instead of $10 billion or half what General Motors is worth? (46:41)

--If you could own and operate a manufacturing plant, what would you make? (51:58)

Comments

• God help the internets!
  • God help the internets!
    Ya go that right.

While I was pretty bummed that I forgot about FNPL, more on that in this weeks shows, I'm simultaneously glad because now I have something to listen to.
  • Oh snaps!

Ya got that right.:-O
  • Oh snaps!
    Ya gotthat right.
    :-O
    It is somewhat reassuring that a minor spelling mistake is a cause for concern.
  • YEAH! Friday Night Party Line. Downloading.
  • --There was an article on Digg about a guy who was active on the Something Awful forums who killed a couple of people. Is it strange that they bothered to link a killer to a forum? Are forums new ways to associate people? Are forums the new Masons? Or is it more like the Sharks and the Jets? (36:16)
    You managed to get Digg/Something Awful, Masons, and West Side Story into one topic of conversation. Good show! Haha.
  • This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite podcasts. Well done, Thaed!
  • It is somewhat reassuring that a minor spelling mistake is a cause for concern.Pedantry is a virtue. Didn't you get that memo?
  • YEAH! RAY :D

Awesome episode. And Ray most definitely has more then 2 fans. For not all fans write emails.