This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Confessions of A Part Time Sorceress -Review

edited September 2007 in Role Playing Games

This is a book I'm sure one of you out there is interested in. It is, as the cover claims, "a girl's guide to the Dungeons & Dragons game." Written by Shelly Mazzanoble, it's full of wit and energy. Several times, I've burst out into giggles despite the fact I was in class at the time or riding the bus. Shelly goes into all the rules and the world of D&D enough so one can understand how to play and even DM a bit (after some experience), but without complicating it with all the unnecessary extras that usually dissuade a novice.

With a lot of jokes relating to both D&D and all those girly things at the same time, she captures people's attention, and for girls, probably convince them to play. A perfect idea for that girlfriend of yours who refuses to play because it's "complicated, boring, and for guys". I know that, more than ever before, I want to get into a campaign, and already character ideas are sprouting.

I wonder how weird it'd be to play in a campaign with my teacher DMing it? =D

(Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons and Dragons Game by Shelly Mazzanoble. Published by Wizards Coast. $12.95 US, $16.95 CAN)
(Holy crap I sound like an advertisement. Sorry, I just really loved this book.)

Comments

• YES!Thank you, Kage! Well, since my campaign crew is mostly girls we would all enjoy this. I can't wait to get this next payday. I'm actually going to spend my book money on something besides manga. Plus, it would probably help me understand the game more.
  • =D I'm glad. <3 Well, it made me stop in vol 8 of Death Note, so I really enjoyed it; usually nothing can stop my manga reading except other manga. <3
  • edited September 2007
    How exactly does the author feminize an approach to D&D? What, in specific, makes this a "girl's guide" as opposed to a "boy's guide," or even a gender-neutral guide?
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • (Description of the Cleric class)
    "Clerics rely on magic and divine inspiration to help them out in tough spots. The cleric is your best pal, the one who knows exactly what to say to make you feel better. When the cleric says, "Forget it, you were too good for him anyway," you believe her. When she tells you the cut of the pants you're wearing are very slimming, you buy them in every color. Clerics are an asset to every group because of their ability to cast healing and protective spells."

Basically, she makes jokes and references that most males would either not understand, or at least not appreciate. How many men care if the pants they wear make them look slimming? She makes it seem a world just as accessible to girls as boys; perhaps, with her wording, makes it seem even more for chicks than guys. She also takes the myths that it's mostly guys with social problems playing it and completely destroys it. Here she is, a high-class, shoe-buying, nail-polish wearing, ultra fem chick playing, describing, and explaining a world that can seem anti-all that.

I'm sure that, if a guy was to read this in an attempt to get interested in D&D, he would find it fails for him.
  • edited September 2007
    That sounds more like pandering and reinforcing gender stereotypes than suggesting why D&D is not a male-biased game.

"Hey girlfriend! That cleric just told you all about that big ole shoe sale up at Filene's Basement!"

If you think guys don't get references like "too good for him" or "these pants make me look thin" then you must not know many guys.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • Well, okay, they do get it, but they probably wouldn't appreciate it. Same with brand names of purses. I know most guys don't give a shit about that stuff.
  • Well, okay, they do get it, but they probably wouldn't appreciate it. Same with brand names of purses. I know most guys don't give a shit about that stuff.
    That's because most people shouldn't care about said brands. Jeans are jeans, even if it says Jack and Jones or Denim. Said brand only jacks up the price.

Anyways, said jokes are understandable. But men just don't care about those things. They might appreciate the jokes, but they don't care. At least it's debunking the stupid myths. (never played D&D; btw)
  • To be honest, I don't know much about brands myself beyond what I have to know for fashion (one day, I'm gonna be a fashion designer, and you'll wanna wear Katie's Geekz!!) but ...yeah. *shrugs*
  • To be honest, I don't know much about brands myself beyond what I have to know for fashion (one day, I'm gonna be a fashion designer, and you'll wanna wear Katie's Geekz!!) but ...yeah. *shrugs*
    LOL. I used to think Jos. A Bank was a bank until recently when I stepped into a fancy mall. I think most name brands are kinda silly.