This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• Why do you read webcomics that hide their content from you? Are they really that good?
    As for the Glass screen being too small for articles: Well, yes, I know the screen is small, but if it can display a tweet's length, it can display a RSS headline. And if it can't, it's useless. Also, Slashdot articles are super short =P If you can't read a Slashdot article with less than 3 scrolls, it also sucks.
  • edited March 2013
    Why do you read webcomics that hide their content from you? Are they really that good?
    Penny Arcade does this, as does many other very well known and popular webcomics that many here on this forum enjoy.

Also Lou pretty much summed up what I said:
    I liked Google Reader is that I used it as an alternative to bookmarking all the sites I check routinely.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I only used it to sync Feedr on my phone, I stopped using Feedr a couple months ago. While this sucks for people you actively used it, I can't say I will shed a tear. I only use RSS now for podcasts in iTunes.

I go to FRC, Tumblr, Reddit for most of my internet needs. The other blogs and sites I use I just have bookmarked in Chrome. Since I have Chrome on my phones, tablet and computers all my bookmarks sync.
  • So why don't more sites embed ads in their RSS feeds? Why do they insist on truncated content and linkback instead?
    I don't think it's a problem with the extraction of statistics or click through. There are people bucking the trend and doing very well. These are mostly popular single person blogs / news sites, which gives, I think, a better insight into why other sites with larger infrastructure don't go for RSS; the end game of RSS is the abandonment of the website.

It's like Microsoft trying to push out a tablet but the OEM licensing department putting on the breaks because they fear for their jobs (and they can wave the big wad of cash they bring in every quarter in front of the board).

It's the same with print media, they are unwilling to embrace digital mostly because the endgame is a complete abandonment of their current way of doing things. More importantly it is not necessarily about the end game being financally inferior to what they currently have but about the uncertainty in the transition and about institutionalized resistance to change.
  • That's just not the primary or most useful case for AR. If anything, using it for that sort of interaction is going to be distracting and dangerous.

AR glasses are about accessing information in parallel with your actual activities, not directly consuming engaging data.
  • Timo is spot on.

HBO doesn't bother with Internet distribution untethered to cable networks because the latter is their cash cow still.
  • Solution. Google releases source. People host their own rss reader.
  • edited March 2013
    RSS is dying, Podcasts are dying, blogs are starting to fade from the public consciousness. All hail the new flesh.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited March 2013
    RSS is dying, Podcasts are dying, blogs are starting to fade from the public consciousness. All hail the new flesh.
    Don't forget PC gaming is dying, consoles are dying, mainstream movies are dying, physical storage media is dying, the cloud is dying, apple is dying, cars are dying, the internet is dying, twitter is dying, Facebook is dying, g+ is dying, Microsoft is dying, pretty much fucking everything that any geek or nerd has talked about ever is dying.

Basically, if you want to sound smart without having much to say, you say something is dying. The last time it was a correct assessment was Steve Jobs. It's a safe bet, really. You say it's dying, and if it doesn't, everybody forgets. If it does, you get to say "I told you it was dying AGES ago, y u no listen?"
    Post edited by Churba on
  • RSS is dying, Podcasts are dying, blogs are starting to fade from the public consciousness. All hail the new flesh.
    Don't forget PC gaming is dying, consoles are dying, mainstream movies are dying, physical storage media is dying, the cloud is dying, apple is dying, cars are dying, the internet is dying, twitter is dying, Facebook is dying, g+ is dying, Microsoft is dying, pretty much fucking everything that any geek or nerd has talked about ever is dying.

Basically, if you want to sound smart without having much to say, you say something is dying. The last time it was a correct assessment was Steve Jobs. It's a safe bet, really. You say it's dying, and if it doesn't, everybody forgets. If it does, you get to say "I told you it was dying AGES ago, y u no listen?"
    Churba is dying.
  • I would love something that combines an RSS reader with a service like Pocket, which downloads articles to your phone in an unobtrusive layout. Let me check my feeds, get the RSS short description, and download the article from the source in a format that is guaranteed to play well with any electronic device.

Also, Pocket has all but replaced Google Reader for me.
  • Entropy exists. Everything is always dying.
    Except Entropy.
    Except Entropy.
    And Jesus.

• edited March 2013
    Entropy exists. Everything is always dying.
    Except Entropy.
    Once Entropy reaches max level it stops leveling up.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I've never been an RSS user, as with Rym the sites that I follow have regular update schedules and I check them on my own time. Anything that isn't regular, I can often like on Facebook, and get updates that way (as I do with Erfworld for example)
  • Churba is dying.
    At some times, faster than others. In multiple senses of the word.
  • I have no fucks to give on this subject.
    Except Entropy.
    Wouldn't continuing quantum fluctuations cause tiny energy build-ups that would be subject to entropy, even at the heat-death state?
  • People who still use RSS readers - Why? Are you using it as content discovery, or so you don't have to read the content on the website? A reminder to check your favorite websites?
  • edited March 2013
    Entropy exists. Everything is always dying.
    Except Entropy.
    Wouldn't continuing quantum fluctuations cause tiny energy build-ups that would be subject to entropy, even at the heat-death state?
    That way lie Boltzmann Brains and other weirdness. Also, I think you mean the cold death.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • People who still use RSS readers - Why? Are you using it as content discovery, or so you don't have to read the content on the website? A reminder to check your favorite websites?
    A little bit of both.
    High 5.

High 5.
    High 5.
  • Google been evil for a while
    Pretty sure I explained this on the first page.
  • The one thing Google Reader has been very useful for is keeping track of news updates via custom RSS feeds from Google searches. Of course, I only use that when I am actively researching a topic.

Somehow, I think I'll get along without it just fine.
    Pretty sure I explained this on the first page.
    I want to know what other people think. It's an honest question, not a criticism.
  • edited March 2013
    Mainly as a reminder to check the stuff I like to read. I can't keep track of all that stuff if I ignore the internets for a few days. Point in case: next Wednesday through Tuesday.
    Post edited by Rochelle on