This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
Who's been watching this anime? I've been following it since just before episode 8 came out, caught up and have been watching ever since. It's pretty awesome. Lots of hot blood and drills and mecha punching each other, but it's also not without its Evangelion-esque intrigue.

Comments

• I've been watching it, I'm really liking it. Its very fun, and yet manages to be serious but in a not particularly lame way.
  • Gainax finally got their groove back
  • The lack of Jam Project is a seious let down :(
  • Yeah, but the music is still pretty epic. Sorairo Days and Happily Ever After are probably my two favorites, though.
  • Yeah, I think I might have mentioned this in the "What Anime are you watching this season" thread but I really like this show.
  • So, the 27th and final episode's subs made it out today, and I just finished watching them. Many manly tears were shed. I have to say, that was probably one of the top ten anime endings in my book. Basically, it had four truly perfect, epic moments.
    1) When Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann was reveled, and it and the Anti-Spiral Supermecha started fighting by jumping on GALAXIES, and THROWING THEM AT EACH OTHER.
    2) When Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann charged the Anti-Spiral mecha, then the Supergalactic Gurren-Lagann hopped out, got a bit closer, and unleashed Arc-Gurren-Lagann, which made it close enough for Gurren-Lagann to jump out, which got just close enough for the Gurren to throw the Lagann at the Anti-Spiral.
    3) When Nia evaporated and Simon went wandering. Sad, but epic.
    4) When, after the credits, the 20 year timeskip, and Old Simon helped a kid use a drill.

So, since this is over, I can kinda give a perspective on it. Basically, this is two different anime in one. Pre-timeskip (that is, episodes 1-15) is much like a regular super robot anime. Lots of fighting, lots of yelling, and in the end, courage wins the day. Post timeskip, it plays out almost Eva-ish. The mecha are more vehicles for the story to unfold than some mega-focus of the show. Really, from 17 up until maybe 23 or 24, the mecha were really ancillary to the story of Gurren-Lagann. A lot of it was the give-and-take fight between Simon and Rossiu, and how humanity was going to be saved. The fights got smaller, and less black-and-white.Then, Simon stops wimping out and decides to put his hole in heaven, and fights. This is an anime to at least check out. It appealed to me, and to the part of me that likes yelling, screaming men in giant robots beating the shit out of other robots, and also the kind of mind-fuck "oh god what is GAINAX going to do now... " part of my personality.
  • I absolutely LOVE this series. It has become one of my favorites.

Watch out for the spoilers, though.
  • I absolutely LOVE this series. It has become one of my favorites.

Watch out for the spoilers, though.
    It's definitely a good enough show that the spoilers don't ruin your enjoyment completely, though. Which is good.
  • I'm sorely disappointed that Dave and Joel have not seen this anime. I constantly hear them squeeeing about "ridiculously epic" events in other anime that PALES in comparison to Gurren Lagann.
  • edited October 2007
    I'm sorely disappointed that Dave and Joel have not seen this anime. I constantly hear them squeeeing about "ridiculously epic" events in other anime that PALES in comparison to Gurren Lagann.
    Not even counting the post-timeskip arc (which is spoilerrific), theres:
    1) Kamina getting the Gurren.
    2) The first Giga Drill Breaker
    3) Simon's speech in ep 11
    4) All of episode 15
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Man, that was a good anime. The pacing and thematics were both excellent in and of themselves, but still managed to play off each other to reach even higher levels of greatness. I thought that in the end the fights were a bit repetitive, but nothing that would prevent me from calling this a damn fine anime.
  • The soundtrack has just been released on Tokyo Toshokan and Rapidsearch, so if anyone cares enough...

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA
  • I've got more spare time than usual in the next couple of days, so I think I'll start watching this anime. Unless of course someone has a far better suggestion (I'm not an old hand when it comes to anime) ;)
  • I thought the final two episodes were a bit spotty. Part of it, I think, was that they one-upped themselves so many times they didn't know quite what to do to finish things. Boota-Boy?! D: Viral as rural familyman was an interesting choice, though. Trapped in an alternate dimension idea in general? Not a fan. Why is the power fought through rowing? :)
  • I'm up to episode 11 right now. Love it.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm only up to episode 3456789, but it's good enough that I might watch all of it today (It's 1012am here).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Why is the power fought through rowing? :)
    Because you have to do the impossible, see the invisible, break the unbreakable.
    Because you have to do the impossible, see the invisible, break the unbreakable.
    Kick reason to the curb and break through the heavens!
    You have to stop believing in yourself, but to instead believe in the me that believes in you!
    You have to stop believing in yourself, but to instead believe in the me that believes in you!
    SPOILER AND MAKE-VIGA-CRY QUOTE: Simon, remember this. Don't believe in me, who believes on you.... and don't believe in the you who believes in me... Believe... Believe in yourself!
  • edited May 2008
    (SPOILER)

I really liked it, but after Kamina died I thought it wasn't quite as good.

I've marked the spoiler in white so people don't accidentally read it. -Andrew
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2008
    *Stuff Neito said*
    Screw you! *Viga cries*

Oh! (When Kamina died I cried so much!)
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm sorely disappointed that Dave and Joel have not seen this anime. I constantly hear them squeeeing about "ridiculously epic" events in other anime that PALES in comparison to Gurren Lagann.
    Hell yes, this show is the definition of "ridiculously epic".
    I'm at episode 12, and, well, the epicness is already OVER 9000, and doesn't seem likely to stop increasing.
  • I like how towards the end, all of their costumes turn into "space strippers".
  • I like how towards the end, all of their costumes turn into "space strippers".
    I'm guessing the "space" part of that is a spoiler, but then again, extrapolating the show basically would make them going into space the only possibility :P
  • Man, this series became the best ever when (giant robots start piloting even larger giant robots. That is just the most insane and awesome thing I have ever seen in a giant robot show.)
  • Li, I laughed so hard when I saw that.
  • Li, I laughed so hard when I saw that.
    Thank you, I'll be here all night. Don't forget to tip your waiters or waitresses!