This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2013 Staffing and Panels

RymRym
edited February 2013 in Conventions
Connecticon 2013 is the weekend of July 12th this year. We're scheduling panels now, but due to some yet-to-be-announced expansion, we are looking for a few good staffers.

So, if you want to run an event and haven't done so already, SUBMIT YOUR EVENT.

More importantly, if you're interesting in stepping up to staff under us in the Panels and Workshops department, let us know.

You'd basically be on the hook for something like three 4-hour "shifts" manning panel rooms and taking care of business. There are a few perks involved, including subsidized hotel rooms, complimentary badges to the con when you're not on-shift, etc...

The department is about to get huge, and we're about to go large. ;^)

Comments

• I have sent you guys 5 panels, and I am intrigued about your staff offer, any information you need from me on this?
  • Is audio visual handled by the convention center or do they have a buyout for using an outside a/v company?
  • Still in.

We need to do a late night story time panel.
  • I might submit a panel or two.
  • Still in.

Same and yes.
  • Still in.

Same and yes.
    Well I DID submit a panel dedicated to telling IT horror stories, if anyone wants to join me on that I have that suggested for late night.

• Probably a stupid noob question, how do I submit a panel?
  • Go to this page, select "panels and workshops" and fill out that form.
  • edited March 2013
    Is audio visual handled by the convention center or do they have a buyout for using an outside a/v company?
    I believe it is neither, and the con actually owns most of the equipment. I can double check for you, but what did you want to know?

You'd basically be on the hook for something like three 4-hour "shifts" manning panel rooms and taking care of business. There are a few perks involved, including subsidized hotel rooms, complimentary badges to the con when you're not on-shift, etc...
    To be honest, the Senior CTcon staff are looking for more than just a 3 shift commitment, but that's the minimum the panels department is asking for. Ideally we'd like enough staff to rotate shifts & allow people to still see what they want to around the con.

Hotel rooms are available for anyone willing to work as 'atCon staff'. You would be sharing with at least 1 other staff member, and 2 volunteers depending on the staff/volunteer ratio. All staff hotel rooms are single gender.

For the official information on staffing you can check here. http://connecticon.org/about/staff/
    Post edited by eggs on
  • We could up our own department to match either CtCon's general guidelines or PAX's. PAX is three 6-hour shifts.
  • Unless you are late night then you have two 6 hour shifts :-p
  • edited March 2013
    I fully expect to work pretty much the whole con in varying degrees of panic...again. :P
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • This year will be less panic-filled than all previous years.
  • Also, people who staff for us... PUT THAT SHIT ON YOUR RESUME. ;^)
  • Also, panelists, seriously, PUT THAT SHIT ON YOUR RESUME. Any sort of public speaking/PR style experience will look amazing for a quote-unquote real job.
  • Also, panelists, seriously, PUT THAT SHIT ON YOUR RESUME. Any sort of public speaking/PR style experience will look amazing for a quote-unquote real job.
    Hmm. I am suddenly realizing I've been presenting at cons for years and don't have any of that on my LinkedIn.

• You bet your ass I put that on my resume, I am trying to rework it to showcase that I presented for a multitude of conventions in multiple states (working on International) without taking a full page.
  • I'd push for somthing close to the PAX standard: ~4.5hr shift Friday/Sunday & ~6.5hr shift Saturday. We don't need a full staff at all hours of the con. A few die hards for super early and late. I'd like to be able to do a bit of a break rotation for meals.

I still think investing in some sort of uniform for any staffers on duty would be worth it.

Anyways. More after PAX.
  • I still think investing in some sort of uniform for any staffers on duty would be worth it.
    It would be a lot easier for panelists to know who to go to with questions if there were some sort of uniform. Even just baseball hats or something similarly inexpensive.
    As someone looking for jobs right now, that seems like a good idea.

• I put it on my resume, but then I don't have much else to put on there.
  • edited March 2013
    Also, panelists, seriously, PUT THAT SHIT ON YOUR RESUME. Any sort of public speaking/PR style experience will look amazing for a quote-unquote real job.
    Hmm. I am suddenly realizing I've been presenting at cons for years and don't have any of that on my LinkedIn.
    Hmm, where exactly should one put it on LinkedIn? "Publications"?
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • How the hell does the main hotel always sells out so fast?
    Hmm, where exactly should one put it on LinkedIn? "Publications"?
    I put it under volunteer experience, one entry per con. Tho reasonable people could differ on whether that's the right place.
  • How the hell does the main hotel always sells out so fast?
    Speaking of anyone interested in splitting a room at CTcon?
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2013
    How the hell does the main hotel always sells out so fast?
    Speaking of anyone interested in splitting a room at CTcon?
    I am. However that depends on what happens with my plans as I may or may not be taking a course at Yale that will coincide with CTcon. Could you sign me up anyway? If things fall through, I will tell you.

Post edited by Geo on
  • It appears Rym/Scott/Mysterious third party person is scheduling now, 3 of my panels were approved.
  • I'm slowly chewing through them while I have the plague.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    So...I have been confirmed for a panel at CTCon entitled "Great Anime Directors Other Than Hayao Miyazaki" on Sunday, July 14 at 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM.

Me having my own room booked for my own panel for the first time ever...I am positively shaking in my boots, but at the same time I am very excited.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Both of my panels got approved. Cartoon Themes from Around the World is going to be from noon to 1 on Friday in Panel 1, and GMing for the Terrified will be in Panel 5 (Ah, ah, ah, ah, Panel 5) from 11:30 AM to half past noon.
    So...I have been confirmed for a panel at CTCon entitled "Great Anime Directors Other Than Hayao Miyazaki" on Sunday, July 14 at 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM.

Me having my own room booked for my own panel for the first time ever...I am positively shaking in my boots, but at the same time I am very excited.
    It's a great feeling, man. Relish it while you can.