This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071001 - Tech Conventions

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Conventions
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about technology-related conventions. In the news, Gutsy Gibbon gives grief, but also growth, and Slashdot is a decade old.
Scott's Thing - The Beaufort Scale

Rym's Thing - Bodega

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Olden times? Pft, the Beaufort Scale is still used. The US Coast Guard uses it, and my local harbor station puts up the corresponding numerical flags. When we're on the water in our little dinghys, sans-instruments, we use these kind of signs to estimate the wind speed. It's far from obsolete.
    Post edited by Sail on
    edited October 2007
    I agree with Sail. Beaufort is far from obsolete. It's used daily by the news here to indicate the wind speeds of tomorrow. You crazy Americans should just use proper scales! XD

EDIT: *listening to the episode* Expose is awesome. And Scott should look better.
    The name Manhattan derives from the word Manna-hata, as written in the 1609 logbook of Robert Juet, an officer on Henry Hudson's yacht Halve Maen (Half Moon).[3] A 1610 map depicts the name Manahata twice, on both the west and east sides of the Mauritius River (later named the Hudson River). The word "Manhattan" has been translated as "island of many hills" from the Lenape language.[4]
    Though there's some idiot adding "By aliens" in some places as far as I can see from the histories.
    Post edited by ... on
  • And Scott should look better.
    You sayin' I'm ugly?
    edited October 2007
    You sayin' I'm ugly?
    Ah damn! I knew someone would say that. But no, didn't mean that. And of course won't say if I did mean it. But yeeh, I looked over the intro paragraph too at first, went to the menu, searched for "Origins" or something similar, looked at the top of my screen and saw "The name Manhattan"... hmmmm...

Edit: Though, why are you concerned that a straight guy might not think you're pretty?
    Post edited by ... on
  • You sayin' I'm ugly?
    Ah damn! I knew someone would say that. But no, didn't mean that. And of course won't say if I did mean it. But yeeh, I looked over the intro paragraph too at first, went to the menu, searched for "Origins" or something similar, looked at the top of my screen and saw "The name Manhattan"... hmmmm...

Edit: Though, why are you concerned that a straight guy might not think you're pretty?
    Just pointing out your bad grammar.
  • <Rym> Today, tech conventions and why we avoid them
    <Scott> And your mom.
  • Today, tech conventions and why we avoid them
    And your mom.
    You have no idea.
  • edited October 2007
    Today, tech conventions and why we avoid them
    And your mom.
    I laughed so hard when I heard that.
    Post edited by Viga on
    And your mom.
    I laughed when I read Neito's comment and then relistened. SCOTT! You sneaked that in so good! Darn it.
    And your mom.
    I laughed when I read Neito's comment and then relistened. SCOTT! You sneaked that in so good! Darn it.
    You people have no idea.
  • SCOTT! You sneaked that in so good! Darn it.
    Wow, just wow.
  • This episode is so full of material for a certain thread....
  • SCOTT! You sneaked that in so good! Darn it.
    I could hear it... and I was in the other room. Or you guys just being sarcastic?
  • I could hear it... and I was in the other room. Or you guys just being sarcastic?
    Do you put your speakers on "BLEEDING EARS WHEN WITHIN 10 FEET" loud? Or, like me, normal.
  • I could hear it... and I was in the other room. Or you guys just being sarcastic?
    Do you put your speakers on "BLEEDING EARS WHEN WITHIN 10 FEET" loud? Or, like me, normal.
    Uhm... outta the 16 blocks on my Mac, it was at 8. So not that loud.
  • You people have no idea.
    Enlighten us ?
    Also, you got excited (surprised?) by a Naruto/Starwars convention, why? I only just watched some Naruto so I don't have much of an opinion on it yet.
  • Don't worry. He doesn't particularly like/dislike Naruto. Just the thought of a Naruto/Star Wars Crossover convention seems INCREDIBLY strange.
    I'd go to it. Just to see what the FUCK is going on.
  • I'd go to it. Just to see what the FUCK is going on.
    That's probably how they get most of their money and attendees.
  • Rest assured, we're going to make sure someone goes to that con, just so we can hear what happened.  I imagine at least one murder.
  • First con report I find on it I'm reading it.