This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston 2013

edited November 2012 in Conventions
So, the panels submission form is up for Anime Boston 2013. Between Will and me, we've submitted three panels. I'm pretty excited about finally getting back to Anime Boston. Skipping a year meant so many less panels, and a whole con down. I'm looking forward to bringing my A game here.

Comments

• Family that Geeks will be retired, but JTVH will be doing a panel about moms in anime, me and Constantine will be revising and reviving "Bluff the Otaku" from CTcon, and I'm probably doing a TBA Madoka panel.
  • Family that Geeks will be retired, but JTVH will be doing a panel about moms in anime, me and Constantine will be revising and reviving "Bluff the Otaku" from CTcon, and I'm probably doing a TBA Madoka panel.
    If all our panels are accepted, Will and I will be doing Old Anime Openers, Manime!, and a revised Craziest Mecha Moments.
  • We expect to be there, and we have some new, fresh anime content!
  • I'm gonna be there now that PAX East is no longer an option for me. I am very excited as to what I'll find there and I hope to see at least some of you...
    You know, Panel submissions for PAX Australia are still open, and Australia is a good place to go for a family trip...

You know, Panel submissions for PAX Australia are still open, and Australia is a good place to go for a family trip...

Believe me, we've looked into it. Maybe 2014, but not this year.

• edited November 2012
    I'll be getting out my little "panel submissions are open" form letter in a couple days or so. Just that with the in-laws in town and various other craziness in my life, I've been a bit behind the ball this year. I'm sorry about that.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Hey, I'm way behind on finishing some things for ConnectiCon's going live. Trying to catch up on that this week. ;^)
  • Damn it, Boston Black Bay has an AWESOME discount deal going right now ($131 for a King Bed room/night) but it needs to be completed prior to AB this year. Ah well, hotel deals are nice but need to stack in, hey Lou got a dog pile room going yet?
  • Nope, no dog pile room because I get a free room (shared with other staff) due to being on staff. Sorry...
  • I want to try out some new stuff this year at AB. I can't wait!
  • It appears that I have one (maybe two) panels at AB this year. Although a question to those who are more familiar with the convention. Is there a tabletop area there to play some board games or is that more of a private hotel experience? I checked the website and could not find anything concrete on the subject.
  • There's a "tabletop gaming area", but it's worse than Magfests. It's basically a room with tables and a single copy of Apples to Apples.
  • There's a "tabletop gaming area", but it's worse than Magfests. It's basically a room with tables and a single copy of Apples to Apples.
    Figured that, well the good news is that I would need to bring my games for my panel at AB, so I am in the process of making a google Doc with a list of games that I have in my collection. If they have a check in/out policy I can bring the gauntlet and get some decent board gaming going.
  • They do not. Just bring the batch; we'll get use out of them. :P
  • They do not. Just bring the batch; we'll get use out of them. :P
    That I can do.
  • My panels have been accepted: "Every Pirate Loves His Mom: Representations of Motherhood in Anime," and "Cheer Up Emo Kid: Anime That Makes You Happy."

Apparently I really really like two-part titles.

I'm thinking we'll probably bring some games along.
  • Philosophy in Madoka Magica got rejected, but the woman who was going to do that with me is doing a witches panel that did get accepted. Y'all should see that.

Also, the "Every Pirate Loves His Mom" title was my idea and I'm taking credit for it.
  • I'm doing Reading Too Much Into AKB0048 and a new Yaoi panel. The new version of Beyond Pokemon as well. Also, I'm co paneling on some of Jed's panels.
  • Philosophy in Madoka Magica got rejected, but the woman who was going to do that with me is doing a witches panel that did get accepted. Y'all should see that.

Also, the "Every Pirate Loves His Mom" title was my idea and I'm taking credit for it.
    Not rejected. "Waitlisted." There are only a handful of panels that were truly rejected. :)
  • So, how solid is the schedule? I'm thinking of printing some Anime Boston specific flyers including our schedule this year (like we often do at PAX). ;^)
  • Not solid at all right now, sadly. The room situation is crazy this year due to various restrictions the Sheraton and Hynes are putting on us with regards to room availability that didn't exist in prior years. Apparently we also have a bunch of additional industry panels coming in (more than in prior years, from what I've heard) via the guest and public relations department and those can often throw the fan and featured panel situation into a tizzy.

I've already had to reschedule a few of your panels just last night due to the room situation, though I haven't had a chance to send updates as my baby started crying and needed soothing and a diaper change just as I finished rescheduling stuff... ^^;

All I can say is it's going to be an interesting year for AB panels this year...
  • I remember tabletop being nice despite being small. Bring games and all will be good
  • So, Anime Boston 2013 is going to happen not so long from now.

Apparently there will be bag checks when entering the Hynes. I suppose it's not surprising given the proximity to the bombing, and I'm guessing the Hynes might be requiring that of all conventions now. Still, it'll be a bit of a drag. I predict Line-Con jokes in 3. . . 2. . .

Apparently there will be bag checks when entering the Hynes. I suppose it's not surprising given the proximity to the bombing, and I'm guessing the Hynes might be requiring that of all conventions now. Still, it'll be a bit of a drag. I predict Line-Con jokes in 3. . . 2. . .
    Don't know what to do about this. Guaranteed disaster.

Don't know what to do about this. Guaranteed disaster.
    I wonder if they'll take a page from the Disneyland book, and have a "no bags" lane. That might help a bit. But yeah it's likely to be a mob scene.
  • Carry in panel doing equipment, such as laptop, without a bag. Get a bag inside perhaps from the dealer's room. Hello, CTCon booth! Then leave panel-doing equipment in the convention somewhere, Lou, HQ?

Then never enter the convention center with a bag. Only bring bag to hotel with games for gaming.
  • So....where did you guy want me to store the board games for playing?
  • You're welcome to leave panel equipment with me, but with one caveat: due to the new baby, I won't be staying at con all-night (going to head home to help take care of the baby), so it may be a problem if you have late night panels and whoever's subbing for me doesn't know what's going on.
  • Lou, do you have any inside scoop on the logistics? Will there be a bag-free lane for speedier access, or will going bagless only save one the few moments of actually having their own bag searched?