This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Boston Marathon Attack

Comments

• So, how long until we get some bomb-control legislation passed? Clearly the only way to prevent these sorts of attacks is by banning the weapons used in the attack. Because, if we ban them the criminals won't be able to get them.
  • Great Steve, it only took you about 18 hours to attempt and score political points off of a tragedy with a completely inane and ridiculous point.

Oh yeah, and explosives already ARE heavily regulated. Which is why these sorts of things are RARE.
  • So, how long until we get some bomb-control legislation passed? Clearly the only way to prevent these sorts of attacks is by banning the weapons used in the attack. Because, if we ban them the criminals won't be able to get them.
    UR RITE OBAMA CANT TAKE MAH BOMBS AWAY CONSTITUTIOTUIN ITS MAH RITE TO BLOW PEEPLE UP TO PROTECK FREEDOM

Fuckhead.

• edited April 2013
    Steve is late to the game people were saying stuff like that like 5 minutes after the bombs went off. The same thing can be said about the NRA, I'm sure if we armed everyone we could have prevented this. OH wait.

It's a silly comment to begin with because people are not trying banning all guns....
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    Fucking asinine, as either an actual opinion, or a troll at work.

I'll say this, working with professional bomb guys is interesting. They were looking at pictures of this and figuring out what the explosive wasn't made from based on things like size of the fireball, the kind of smoke, and reports of what kind of sound was made.

• edited April 2013
    It's a silly comment to begin with because people are not trying banning all guns....
    No sillier than trying to have another damned rehash of the gun control debate right now, almost like both sides are trying to dip their pens in fresh blood just to scrawl the same tired message again.

Can we just leave it off for a bit? And no, I will not accept the tired old "Oh, but when WILL we talk about it then, no time like the present!" nonsense, because while this might have escaped your notice, nobody shot anybody, and this has nothing to do with your damned opinions about guns.

I appreciate that it's a rough time emotionally when horrible events like this occur, but that does not give us leave to take leave of our senses, and start pushing our agendas, even if we do think those agendas make us feel just that tiny bit more safe, at a time when we're all feeling decidedly unsafe, because it happened right on your doorstep, and if Boston, then why not Ohio, or Virgina, or any place we just happen to be? People have been killed, and people who I generally respect as rational, sensible, house-owning adultfolk are taking cracks at each other about gun control and using this as today's bludgeon of choice. Jesus christ, you've lost your minds. Get a hold of yourselves. This behavior is simply fucking disgusting.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2013
    Alex Jones is a cunt.

I mean, I already knew that - but a part of me clings to the naieve hope that the cuntiest among us will abandon cuntdom at some point. Grab a shred of humanity somewhere.

At least there were lots of good people in Boston outweighing any assholes on the Internet.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • We already know what ingredients are commonly used to make bombs AND credit card companies will shut off your card if you fill two cars at a gas station (among other suspicious activities) so why can't we put these two together?
  • You are fucking retarded.
  • credit card companies will shut off your card if you fill two cars at a gas station (among other suspicious activities) so why can't we put these two together?
    Source or EABOD. That is patently false.

• I haven't really checked activity but here's hoping none of our fine forum goers were caught in that attack.

And as horrified as I am at this I'm still a lot more pragmatic (and bit more snarky) about it than my coworkers who keep asking "Who would do such a thing?" Clearly some deranged person who probably wanted to kill as many people as possible.

I foresee security being bumped up at Thunder Over Louisville and the Kentucky Derby.
  • I haven't really checked activity but here's hoping none of our fine forum goers were caught in that attack.
    All Boston forumites have been accounted for in one place or another. We're all alright.
  • Well, at least, Americans poor grasp of science probably reduces successful bombs made. Most will follow an Internet cookbook, substitute some ingredients, mix windex with bleach, and save everyone some grief. /sarcasm
    = At least the bombs were only 50% successful.
  • edited April 2013
    Well, at least, Americans poor grasp of science probably reduces successful bombs made. Most will follow an Internet cookbook, substitute some ingredients, mix windex with bleach, and save everyone some grief. /sarcasm
    = At least the bombs were only 50% successful.
    Official story ATM is that there were only two devices, earlier reports of additional unexploded bombs were actually the Bomb Squads investigating suspicious packages.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Fuck CNN. The one time I bother trusting their news..
  • The bomb squad did (reported) detonate at least one, possibly two suspicious items. It's unclear what those items actually were, however.
  • edited April 2013
    wrong thread.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • There was some numerology guy who called in Coast To Coast AM last night and not even George Nory could make sense from him. He kept talking about 13 but wouldn't say the significance (George had to go to break but I think he wanted to get away from the guy, and he's used to kooks).
  • The FBI would be jumping for joy if there were unexploded bombs. I've heard that this was an IED similar to the kind used overseas against our troops.
  • That style of IED, if it's what is being reported only some sources, is used overseas because it's simple, easy to make, and easy to use. The style of bomb in this case doesn't really mean much in terms of guessing who was responsible.

Shrapnel pipe/canister bombs can be made in an afternoon for under $100 each by anyone with the ability to google for instructions.
  • I didn't mean to imply anything more. You are correct they're simple, but also known for their devastating wounding shrapnel.
  • Anybody have a legitimate source for annual domestic deaths from explosive devices? I can't find one, which leads me to believe it's statistically insignificant.
  • I'm split on the subject. I want there to be news coverage for a minor incident because it shows people care... but then I want no news coverage because I want people not to care too much! And I don't mean minor incident as an insult to the people killed, just that in the UK the IRA did bombings just like this multiple times a year. Sure, it made the news, but life seemed to go on. As in, there was other news mentioned.
  • All around the world actually, and it's a trend in comments from people outside the US, my twitter was flooded with "how about the hundreds that died just today on new bombings in X country in the middle east"
  • I just never want the US to get to the point that much of the rest of the world is at.

I don't want to have to go through a metal detector just to enter a mall.
    I don't want to lose basic things like trashcans in public places.
    I don't want checkpoints on our roads.
  • http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/
    I was mentally preparing for my jimmies to be russled, but then was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for that.
  • All around the world actually, and it's a trend in comments from people outside the US, my twitter was flooded with "how about the hundreds that died just today on new bombings in X country in the middle east"
    I've always been kinda confused by it, actually. I semi-regularly read Al Jazeera, AP Wire, and BBC Global, so I expect people to die in bombings every day. Two deaths is a fairly insignificant number -- these sorts of attacks tend to kill more like 7 or 8. I was chatting with my friends online when I first heard, and we both just sort of shrugged it off. The only ways that I separate this attack in my mind from all those other ones no one talks about are
    A) this could cause more mass hysteria and introduce policies that affect me
    B) parts of the T are going to be down for a few days
    C) people around me are visibly stressed about it, so I need to comfort them.
    If I wasn't so damn embedded in the US (and Boston, at that) I wouldn't give a shit.
  • Yeah, I agree, number of people killed in a bombing is definitely a good way to objectively measure the appropriate level of emotional reaction. In fact, you could probably come up with a good algorithm that could greatly increase grieving efficiency.