This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Boston Marathon Attack

Comments

• Novelty certainly factors into it.

• Also, all these bombings feel pretty fucking insignificant to my generation, whose first terrorist attack was 9/11.
  • The reaction is arguably disproportionate. The significance of the event itself is pretty low unless the reaction causes it to become a bigger deal than it should be. I could be wrong and it could be more than that, certainly, but with the little information I have I feel justified in my feels.
  • @Rym - This directly relates to credit card companies shutting off your card for suspicious activities. While it does not directly address the gas station example that is a known example of an activity that the bank will question.

• RymRym
    edited April 2013
    @Rym - This directly relates to credit card companies shutting off your card for suspicious activities. While it does not directly address the gas station example that is a known example of an activity that the bank will question.

Suspicious only means fraud in these cases. Not buying "shady" things.

If I spend more than $5k in a day overseas, they cut it off until I call them.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I love how Alex Jones immediately calls it a false flag. Isn't one of the main parts of a false flag actually having someone to blame in the first place?

• I love how Alex Jones immediately calls it a false flag. Isn't one of the main parts of a false flag actually having someone to blame in the first place?
    Not to mention the question of who benefits from the false flag. Every benefit that would supposedly come from a false flag operation, the US government can already do anyway.
  • Every false flag operation or planned false flag operation in American history (at least that I'm aware of) has involved boats. Tonkin, Lusitania, USS Maine (?); I'm skeptical of anything on land being a false flag. That being said, if that laser battleship we're sending over to the Arabian Gulf gets attacked, I'll call shenanigans.
  • Well, the other point is it has to be an expendable ship, I'm pretty sure our laser battleship will not be one of those.
  • Greg, why was the Lusitania on your list of false flag operations? I'm having a bit of a Poe's Law deal. Is it because they were shipping munitions under a civilian flag?
  • Well, the other point is it has to be an expendable ship, I'm pretty sure our laser battleship will not be one of those.
    These ships aren't always destroyed. The Maddox was just fine, save for one or two scratches on the hull.
    Greg, why was the Lusitania on your list of false flag operations? I'm having a bit of a Poe's Law deal. Is it because they were shipping munitions under a civilian flag?
    The Lusitania is a little bit of a gray area. I'd say it was false flag for the reason you stated, but it's an arguable point.
  • It stretches the whole false flag thing, as they were very directly ordered not to fly any flag at all - not that it helped, she was a very distinctive ship.
  • University students? What does he think this is, 1848?
  • edited April 2013
    University students? What does he think this is, 1848?
    Nobody knows what goes on in the mind of Alan Jones. Presumably very little.

He's also a xenophobic, racist, elitist, anti-intellectual right-wing nutbar, so that's something to consider. This is hardly the first time he's blamed uni students for everything wrong with the world.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2013
    Would it be more apropos to call him an Australian Limbaugh then? Bill O'Reilly is occasionally a comedian and is on the more moderate side of things.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Would it be more apropos to call him an Australian Limbaugh then? Bill O'Reilly is occasionally a comedian and is on the more moderate side of things.
    Propably, yeah. I just couldn't pull that bastard's name to mind.

• It's better you forget about... who were we talking about again?
  • An elitist AND anti-intellectual. That's the lottery you want to win right there.
  • An elitist AND anti-intellectual. That's the lottery you want to win right there.
    Don't have to be smart to have a shitload of money, and that's his style of elitisim - it's all about how rich you are. Rich people are better than us regular folk. Also, the people who tend to disagree with his ideas are often younger and educated. And since it clearly can't be a problem with his crazy far-far-right nutjob ravings, it must be because of what they're teaching them nowdays in the universities that makes them into idiotic leftists that don't agree with him.

And yes, Leftists is actually the word he uses.
  • I'm not giving that man the justification of my time.
    You'd better damn well be talking about Rev. Phelps and Not Mr. Rogers. Folk round here don't take kindly to a man speaking ill of Mr Rogers. (-_-#)
    You'd better damn well be talking about Rev. Phelps and Not Mr. Rogers. Folk round here don't take kindly to a man speaking ill of Mr Rogers. (-_-#)
    Folk around ANYWHERE.
    Folk around ANYWHERE.
    You don't diss Fred Rogers. Man may have been the best soul on this planet for the duration of his life.
    Folk around ANYWHERE.
    Agreed. Mr. Glen Rogers was a hero to the community. ;^)

• Good work Rym.
  • Okay, I am suddenly having a huge WTF moment.

What's up with this "Boston will rise" viral video? I know a lot of people got hurt, and a few got killed, and many of us were shaken up. I have shed a few tears. But it's not like we got bombed into the Stone Age here, people. Most of us went back to work Tuesday. We didn't fall down and we don't need to rise. (Colbert and Stewart both did way better in their remarks on Tuesday.)

Today I stopped to take a picture of an impromptu memorial for a graduate student from my university who was killed in the bombing. As I walked away, a TV reporter from Wisconsin wanted to talk to me about it.

Any moment now Anderson Cooper will be here in his tight black disaster-zone t-shirt, I just know it. Oh wait, he was already here.

Also of course I love Mr. Rogers and if he wanted to come over and have a cuppa, that would be fine.
  • The FBI is over. It used to have good OC, but now it's just reposts from 4Chan.