This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX PRIME 2013 4 days of PAX-TRAVAGANZA!

Comments

• I don't recall of that happening at the last 3 PAX conventions. They were just there. No one screaming, just handing out swag.
    You haven't spent much time near Riot's expo booth.
  • Oh. If we get accepted to dev again, and policy doesn't change, that will come with PAX 4-day passes. Chase Gordon might have some sort of first dib claim on at least one of those because of last year.
  • So on top of the 4 day passes Rym already purchased, you get an extra set.
  • Monday is low and Friday is now sold out. They're all about to be gone.
  • I have to say, full day Sunday sounds glorious. Is Monday a half-day like Sunday was before?
  • Oh god damn it, I missed out on buying tickets.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh god damn it, I missed out on buying tickets.
    I share your lament; my downfall was in not watching the twitter feed like a hungry cat.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • I was on the bus from 10 minutes before the new hit to 10 minutes after it sold. I could not have possibly bought tickets.
  • I was on the bus from 10 minutes before the new hit to 10 minutes after it sold. I could not have possibly bought tickets.
    Life moves at the speed of Internet. Buses do not.

Everybody [E]nforce. That is, if you are actually planning to work. Don't try to [E] just to get a badge and then not take Enforcing seriously.
  • I would [E] if I could get there in the first place :( I don't like not having a job.
  • I posted this elsewhere on the Internets.

Even though scalping exists, it is a very small percentage of ticket sales. Even if you could eliminate all scalping, tickets would still sell out just as quickly. People are acting like if somehow we fought all scalpers away that all the people who wanted to go to PAX would be able to get tickets. That is simply not the case. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people would still be disappointed. The demand is simply way higher than the supply.

The only solution to keep the tickets from selling out immediately is to jack up the price. PA Megacorp does not do this because they do not want PAX to be only accessible to wealthy gamers, but all gamers. For that they should be commended as they could easily double the price of the tickets, still sell out, and vastly increase revenues. The result of that generosity is that tickets sell out instantly. Selling single days and limiting the availability of 4-day passes effectively is a price increase as many people just buy multiple one-day passes.

There is no other solution besides moving PAX to somewhere bigger or the Seattle convention center magically growing itself overnight. PAX selling out instantly is just something we have to accept. And instead of looking at it as a bad thing, we should look at it as a good thing. PAX is so amazing that everyone wants to go. The way I see it I expect to live for a few more decades. With 3 PAXes in the world, and hopefully more to come, almost everyone who wants to have PAX in their lives will be able to do so.

Imagine if PAX tickets weren't selling. That would be MUCH worse. Instant sell out is a good problem to have.
  • So what could be done to fix it? Let's try to get a handle on the problem. How many people currently attend PAX? Even for one day. I'm talking unique IP's, not 1 person X 3 days = attendance of 3.
  • No longer have it in Seattle unless they make a larger convention center.
  • edited April 2013
    I mean between me and two other devs we bought 21 individual tickets. I know others that several single day tickets. That's a lot of tickets between very few people when you think about it
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So I just found out the exact headcounts and the little piddly anime con I just went too could fit inside PAX's main theatre. I was saying as much, but now I know for sure.

I'd love to be there with you guys, but I'll make due.
  • Austin could easily handle a PAX. Just sayin
  • I am %100 pro-PAX Austin. It would be a cool shift in tone and setting.
  • You guys forget the core set of Enforcers that are Washington based. I was thinking along the lines of Vancouver, BC or Portland, if they have large enough venues.
  • edited April 2013
    How about some kind of system where the price goes up as more badges get sold? That way getting in cheaply is an option, and if you're late you don't necessarily have to go to a scalper.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The number of large venues that don't also suck ass in other ways in North America can be counted on one's fingers (thumbs excluded) with room to spare.

The BCEC in Boston is not big enough, and it's much larger than the Seattle venue in total. I suspect the ONLY reason it takes a little longer to completely sell out of the lingering 1-day badges (compared to Prime) is that the reasonable hotels sell out faster than the 3-day badges, and the rest of the hotels are super far away.

The Javits is awful. No food, no hotels (less than the BCEC on both counts), and logistically it's a nightmare expo hall venue.

The Gaylord isn't laid out for the kind of show that PAX is, and has numerous problems.

The BCC in Baltimore is probably the best single venue in terms of:

1. Usable space
    2. Usefully laid out space
    3. Access to hotels
    4. Access to food

Unfortunately, it's in Baltimore. Also, East Coast, not that far from Boston.

There are so few good venues for large conventions, and even they will fill easily enough, this is currently an intractable problem. It's like the physical Slashdottings in Hyperion.
  • How about some kind of system where the price goes up as more badges get sold? That way getting in cheaply is an option, and if you're late you don't necessarily have to go to a scalper.
    That would mean that money still trumps other factors. People like me are willing to pay $500, and would be able to guarantee a badge for ourselves with money alone. Meanwhile, a small number of random people would get the cheaper badges (of which there are now much fewer) before they sold out. It's not really better, it's just better for the wealthy.
  • Ah, but isn't it already the case that someone willing to spend $500 can guarantee a badge with money alone? Better that money go to PAX than to scalpers.
  • Obviously we need some sort of nerd theme park the size of Disneyworld where we can just go whenever we want to take a vacation.
  • funny enough Rym hasn't been to any of the top 16 convention centers in the US.... to my knowledge :-p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_convention_and_exhibition_centers

I bet it would take a while to sell out in Chicago. :-p
  • Ah, but isn't it already the case that someone willing to spend $500 can guarantee a badge with money alone? Better that money go to PAX than to scalpers.
    There are so few scalpers they don't even register. You can't guarantee a badge with money alone because the handful of scalpers sell out also. On eBay I see barely one page of PAX Prime badges available, few of which are 4-days. Some of those could be scams. That's about out of thousands upon thousands of badges.
  • funny enough Rym hasn't been to any of the top 16 convention centers in the US.... to my knowledge :-p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_convention_and_exhibition_centers

I bet it would take a while to sell out in Chicago. :-p
    Chicago already has C2E2. ReedPop isn't going to compete with themselves.
  • edited April 2013
    Ah, but isn't it already the case that someone willing to spend $500 can guarantee a badge with money alone? Better that money go to PAX than to scalpers.
    There are so few scalpers they don't even register. You can't guarantee a badge with money alone because the handful of scalpers sell out also.
    Really? For a high enough price I'm sure you could do it. The person you buy it off doesn't necessarily need to be a dedicated scalper, but merely someone who has a badge but to whom the badge isn't worth as much money as it is to you.

If you wouldn't be willing to buy a badge for $500 but you refuse to sell one for $500, you are (assuming the transaction is relatively safe and easy) simply irrational.
    There are so few scalpers they don't even register. You can't guarantee a badge with money alone because the handful of scalpers sell out also.
    Really? For a high enough price I'm sure you could do it. The person you buy it off doesn't necessarily need to be a dedicated scalper, but merely someone who has a badge but to whom the badge isn't worth as much money as it is to you.

If you wouldn't be willing to buy a badge for $500 but you refuse to sell one for $500, you are (assuming the transaction is relatively safe and easy) simply irrational.
    I'm pretty sure that the only people who have a PAX badge and will sell it are people who have an extra, people who suddenly can't go, people who are very poor, etc. Someone who has a badge and intends to use it are incredibly unlikely to sell it.
  • edited April 2013
    Hence most people are either willing to pay $500+ for a badge or are irrational.
  • San Diego would be excellent insofar as meeting the Scrym requirements.

It's big, has good hotels nearby, and since its smack in the middle of downtown of a major city, its got food and outside distractions.

I'm not that into SD but I think it would work.