This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX PRIME 2013 4 days of PAX-TRAVAGANZA!

Comments

• Dragon*Con NEVER runs out of tickets...
    Huh, fancy that. Maybe nobody wants to go to a convention owned by a child molester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_E._Kramer
  • Who's in jail, hasn't been involved with any aspect since 2000, and cannot be legally forced to sell his shares. But don't let that stop you from using a logical fallacy for your argument.
  • I thought if I went to Dragon*Con I had to have sex with that guy first?
  • Who's in jail, hasn't been involved with any aspect since 2000, and cannot be legally forced to sell his shares. But don't let that stop you from using a logical fallacy for your argument.
    If a public event isn't selling out, then the method of selling tickets really doesn't matter since anyone who wants to go will be able to go.

If a sold out event like PAX tried Dragon Con's method, it would be disastrous. You would get a situation just like NFL season tickets where people are on a huge waiting list. Existing ticket holders get to renew every year, and new people can't get their seats unless they give them up. Most years only a handful, if any, seats go up while the waiting list has people in it who have been waiting their entire lives. The whole point of PAXes low prices, extra days, and multiple conventions is that they want everyone who wants some PAX to be able to get some PAX. Selling tickets at the event a year in advance is the exact opposite of that philosophy.

Also, DragonCon suuuux. :P
  • edited April 2013
    Dragon*Con allows you to purchase next year's tickets at the con itself. The only mad dash is for hotel rooms.
    That's bullshit and backwards. You are giving priority attendance to people who are already at the convention, making it very difficult for people to go who were unable to go last year, or never able to go before. If anything, they should sell them far away from the convention at another place so if you go this year, it is very difficult for you to go next year.
    I thought that the point of selling next years tickets at this years con was to ensure you get some of the same folks which aids in building a sense of continuity and community for the convention. I would think it's a useful metric for measuring attendee satisfaction as well.

I understand that those reasons aren't important for something like PAX, but it's a valid strategy for a smaller gathering, right?

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Nah. In my opinion, conventions that have the same set attending every year stagnate and get increasingly boring over time. No new attendees means no new staff, no new ideas, and a slow, lingering death.
  • Nah. In my opinion, conventions that have the same set attending every year stagnate and get increasingly boring over time. No new attendees means no new staff, no new ideas, and a slow, lingering death.
    I'll yield to your far superior con experience.

But... hasn't Connecticon been offering next year registration on sundays for years now? It seems to be doing ok. Is that an exception?

• I'll yield to your far superior con experience.

But... hasn't Connecticon been offering next year registration on sundays for years now? It seems to be doing ok. Is that an exception?
    ConnectiCon doesn't sell out. This is only a problem for conventions that are guaranteed to sell out immediately every year.

• edited April 2013
    Yea the same people keep going to the convention it stagnates.. Sooo by that logic Rym and Scott should skip a few PAXes just to keep it fresh.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Hey, we're the entertainment. Different story altogether. ;^)
  • Yea the same people keep going to the convention it stagnates.. Sooo by that logic Rym and Scott should skip a few PAXes just to keep it fresh.
    HAHA no. You forgot, the convention is FOR us. We want to see different people each time. If it's the same every year, we probably will get bored and stop going. So far, not.
  • Yea the same people keep going to the convention it stagnates.. Sooo by that logic Rym and Scott should skip a few PAXes just to keep it fresh.
    HAHA no. You forgot, the convention is FOR us. We want to see different people each time. If it's the same every year, we probably will get bored and stop going. So far, not.
  • edited April 2013
    Technically that rule applies 200% to the entertainment even more so than the attendees. Maybe 50% to the staff.

On a more serious note, I'm not really sure a convention with 26k people can stagnate on a con-goer level. It definitely can stagnate on a staff/entertainment level.
  • They had a really small room this year at East, PAX might be shuffling them off.
  • They had a really small room this year at East, PAX might be shuffling them off.
    I'll just [E]nforce forever.
  • Nah, that's the shaft they give board games, because all the real money is in video games.
  • Technically that rule applies 200% to the entertainment even more so than the attendees. Maybe 50% to the staff.
    Interestingly, two different people in the organization basically told us that one of the reasons they keep bringing us back is that we bring fresh content every year. We rarely duplicate lectures, and basically have something new every PAX. Lately, we haven't even duped between Prime and East!

• Technically that rule applies 200% to the entertainment even more so than the attendees. Maybe 50% to the staff.
    Interestingly, two different people in the organization basically told us that one of the reasons they keep bringing us back is that we bring fresh content every year. We rarely duplicate lectures, and basically have something new every PAX. Lately, we haven't even duped between Prime and East!

We at least go through the trouble of remixing the same panel with different titles so it seems new.
  • edited April 2013
    I said it applies to entertainment, never said you guys were entertaining :-p

Obviously I said Entertainment can stagnant a convention quicker than the attendees, obviously you don't fit that and PAX doesn't have that problem "YET"
  • So football player Ray Rice has a free football camp with only 500 spots. His rant is relevant to PAX.

• And PAX has a FAQ for their fast sellout of tickets.

http://prime.paxsite.com/news/the-registration-sellout-faq
  • AGGGGGGH, talking about 130k people at an event that clearly is around 20k is annoying to read.
  • AGGGGGGH, talking about 130k people at an event that clearly is around 20k is annoying to read.
    Ye olde turntile problem.

• NeoNeo
    edited April 2013
    This is probably beating a dead horse, but this news story caught my attention:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/13/04/25/2026214/wwdc-sells-out-in-2-minutes-ticket-on-ebay-45-minutes-later

Apple WWDC: Sold out in 2 minutes
    Google I/O: Sold out in 45 minutes
    Post edited by Neo on
  • Just remembered this shit is four days.
  • edited May 2013
    More tickets are available. Go now!

Too late.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • "Just remembered" as in "AW SHIT YEAH," or "welp, gotta rebook my flight/hotel"?
  • It's way too late for us to jump on board the PAX Prime wagon this year, but we've got a small group looking into PAX East 2014. It would be our first PAX experience. Though we've been searching through hotel rates, and the price shock is a little much considering we're used to hotels in our local city to run $150/night at most.
    Everyone's always talking about how great PAX is, but is it really worth it if you're not a hardcore gamer and you just play casually? My husband is obsessive, but I am mostly only obsessive on Pokemon, Mass Effect, and the Elder Scrolls and that's about it.
  • PAX is worth it at least once, but be careful, it is addictive. Bethesda will probably be demoing the Elder Scrolls Online again at Prime, and if it isn't out by East, it will be there too. The atmosphere is terrific and so fun. You can always look into an option of rooming with someone else to help lower the cost/person too. If you aren't bringing a lot of stuff (and that is usually reserved for the hardcore), then picking a hotel that is a bit of a walk or bus ride isn't a bad idea. There is a great deli that isn't too far away that is reasonably priced, and there are a few restaurants nearby that aren't too pricey as well.
  • Prime is looking more likely for me, as long as the job cooperates. Now that I am promoted I need to make sure I won't be too too busy. I wasn't sure how serious my wife was about me going out to Seattle for the extended PAX originally, but now we decided that her and the kid should fly down to see her mother who lives in Florida, do Disney and stuff. Now we're both equally excited for Labor Day weekend