This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• Where's the point that's equidistant from all PAXes?
    Does one necessarily exist?
  • edited December 2012
    With three or less PAXes, there should be one, or generally two, I believe. With more than three, there typically is no such point.

If you think it's cool enough I could probably put extra points like that on the map.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Where's the point that's equidistant from all PAXes?
    Does one necessarily exist?
    Yes, but it'd be somewhere in the ocean off the arse-end of Chile, I think.
  • Better question: where's the point that's fiscally equidistant from all PAXes?
  • Okay; the URL encoding scheme works; now you can make your own configuration (e.g. renaming whichever PAX you prefer to "Best PAX") and post it via URL.
  • Does one necessarily exist?
    Always two. Imagine the three PAXes form a triangle that slices through the earth. Every triangle has a point equidistant from all three vertices. If you stand on the middle of this triangle and dig perpendicular to it, you will pop out equidistant from all three. For the other point, you just dig the other direction.
  • Level of talking:

Shit [--------------------------------[x]--------] Not

Hey guys, we're never going to run out of show ideas again!

Bonus for everybody who "already knows everything Rym and Scott are going to say:" you can now know everything they are going to say for the rest of their lives!
    Tonight on GeekNights, we review Wii Sports. In the news, we banter about the previous 221 shows we've seen in recent memory. But first, rural landlines are dropping calls, not.
  • edited February 2013
    Level of talking:

Shit [--------------------------------[x]--------] Not

Hey guys, we're never going to run out of show ideas again!

Bonus for everybody who "already knows everything Rym and Scott are going to say:" you can now know everything they are going to say for the rest of their lives!

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Wii Sports. In the news, we banter about the previous 221 shows we've seen in recent memory. But first, rural landlines are dropping calls, not.
    You score all the points.

the bigwigs of American fandom -- Ranma 1/2, and Rose of Versailles

we discuss the scariness of video game law, NyQuil, and virtual vigilantes
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • we touch on the consoles and peripherals and including some changes we've made to make multiplayer more intuitive despite their (sarcastically) glowing history of computer programming languages. In the news, Apple announces new awesome manga and Paprika has been canceled by DC.

Sounds good to me!
  • edited February 2013
    The first one I had was pretty decent, but ended with "In the news, since there's interesting."

I must admit, I like how they mostly seem perfectly acceptable at face value, but are just ever so slightly surreal, or end up as complete nonsense.

"Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss IRC (Internet Relay Chat), from a purely consumer perspective, leaving out most of the comics we acquired on Free Comic Book Day 2008. In the news, anime is also disappearing for Japan for a longer-running series on building/buying a new computer is finally dead Boston's"

"Tonight on GeekNights, in light of the many outweigh the needs of the New York Comic Con is bankrupt and Bionic Commando has rearmed and virtual vigilantes. Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the classic Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch is released. Tonight on GeekNights, we talk very, very generally paying."

And my personal favorite so far :

Tonight on GeekNights, Scott brings us his coverage of MAGFest 9! The audio is a little Team Fortress 2 in the tech world, and Australia is building a Dragon, and iTunes might pull out of control. Tonight on GeekNights we wonder on the subject (The Bible with Sources Revealed). on.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Australia is building a dragon? We're screwed.
  • "Tonight on GeekNights, we begin worst week with a look at everything that went down at Connecticon 2008. In the news, the Phantom still doesn't exist, and Pac Man is somehow still in the works. Tonight on GeekNights, we review the tabletop."

Furniture review! GeekNights is branching out!
  • edited February 2013
    "Tonight on GeekNights, we begin worst week with a look at everything that went down at Connecticon 2008. In the news, the Phantom still doesn't exist, and Pac Man is somehow still in the works. Tonight on GeekNights, we review the tabletop."

Furniture review! GeekNights is branching out!
    True, but I do wonder about the timeliness of their Connecticon reviews.

Also, Phantom still not existing, perfectly accurate.

"Tonight on GeekNights, we give a shoutout to the man (the man being Blizzard). Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss, after ranting a bit about the iPhone and non-AT&T carriers, the future and a teacher doesn't know open source wins in court, and Seattle loses its toilets. Tonight on GeekNights, conclude."

Edit:

"Tonight on GeekNights, we Bone. In the news, PAX is coming to the NYAF, and they're really making the rounds with the stories of days past instead of the art and comics we found at the New York Comic Con nothing."

I can only assume most of that was written as afterglow nonsense-talking, considering.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Tonight on GeekNights,

we continue "How Computers Work" with a detailed analysis of Shoujo Kakumei Utena, OR, Scott muckspreading. Finally: Ultra Relax! Tonight on GeekNights, we go where no anime podcaster dare go. We bring you the last-man-standing battles of: the Thunderdome.
  • "Tonight on GeekNights we shut up quick because today sucked all around. But there were so many questions that there is some anime available on iTunes as well as new."
  • Plot twist: they're the actual beta episode shownotes.
  • "Tonight on GeekNights, we review the Astro Boy anime from the last several weeks in the Batmanimatrix, and Japanese are."

Japanese are.
  • "We talk about Abobo's Big Adventure, but not before some lengthy thoughts on Ricochet Robots and Set! Also, don't forget GeekNights."
  • edited April 2013
    Is something up with PyPi? I can't get anything to download.

Edit:hmm, seems it was just chrome.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Is something up with PyPi? I can't get anything to download.

Edit:hmm, seems it was just chrome.
    PyPi always has issues. That's why I setup a private mirror at work.
  • I've never had issues with PyPi.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • edited April 2013
    If I want a program to remember it's password, how do I store the password securely?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • You store it in a password protected encrypted file.
  • edited April 2013
    I realize this is tangential, but I saw this post while perusing this thread:
    I am insulted! Screw you Farragar! You may not realize it, but your statements implied that you claim to have had any manner of lurid sexual relations with all of my family members simultaneously.
    ^^This is my favorite Scottpost of all time.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    How would I store the file's password then?
    How would I store the file's password then?
    Oh, well you store that password in a password protected encrypted file.
  • Lol. Infinite amount of password files does not seem like the way to go.
  • You store the password hashed and salted appropriately, and when you enter the password you hash it and compare to the saved hash.
  • I'm not looking to compare an entered password to a saved one, just saving the one a server requires a client to enter, the secure login is already set up (it's an ssh server with password authentication). I just don't want users to have to enter the password every time they want to start the server.