This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Games

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    For those of you who love those Infocom Text Adventures (i.e. Zork, Enchanter, etc), they are now selling them in on both iOS and Android where you can get them all.

I've played a majority of them and enjoyed them immensely (I eat that shit up).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lost-treasures-of-infocom/id577626745?mt=8
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It doesn't seem to be that Lost Treasures of Infocom is on Android. :/
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    It doesn't seem to be that Lost Treasures of Infocom is on Android. :/
    Really? I could have sworn that it was there. Maybe I'm just so used to everything being on every mobile platform that I assumed it was there. Mea culpa for not doing my research correctly.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If you're into that sort of thing and you haven't seen Jason Scott's documentary Get Lamp, you're missing out. The film is Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licensed, so you can "pirate" it guilt-free, or you can watch it on YouTube right here (movie starts at about 7:30):
  • Jeremy stole my idea!

• Jeremy stole my idea!

I already did that to someone this morning. You guys are slow.
  • Well, check your town. I just added this to it.

• On Twitter Mike Krahulik highly recommended Major Magnet for iOS. It's $1. I concur with his recommendation.
    Yes, Major Magnet is hella fun. I talked to the guys who made it in my post PAX podcast. Definitely worth $1. I'm generally finding more and more games for under $4 that are well worth it lately.
  • edited April 2013
    On Twitter Mike Krahulik highly recommended Major Magnet for iOS. It's $1. I concur with his recommendation.
    Yes, Major Magnet is hella fun. I talked to the guys who made it in my post PAX podcast. Definitely worth $1. I'm generally finding more and more games for under $4 that are well worth it lately.
    Major Magnet does some fun things, but I deleted it after about 15 minutes of play. I am already getting tired of the entire "beat this short level well enough to earn 3 stars" style of games, and the magnet mechanics were cool enough to hold my interest, but they completely lost me with the microtransaction stuff.

Major Magnet literally forces you to click through tutorials mid-game that take you out of the level, into their IAP store, and directs you to buy power-ups with their in-game currency, of which they give you some seed cash. The first hit is free, and those IAP power-ups are then mandatory to clear the level.

I'd just rather pay a set price up front and have a game designer actually put some effort into crafting an experience w/ the proper difficulty to powerups ratio, rather than having them put their effort into throwing up difficulty walls and milking me like a fucking cow, $2 at a time. There are plenty of other great games where you don't have to deal with that shit.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Magnet Mike is a fun concept and really polished for the price. That being said, it's just a pain in the ass. I'm tired of all these games with loose controls that are all about trial and error.
  • Fuuuck, it's out now. iPad only. $7.

I don't want to buy an iPad just for this.

Dude, you have the physical game.

Does it have online play? If it does, it's totally worth getting.

I'm thinking about selling my 32gb iPad 2 because it's so bulky.

• My mom has an iPad 2 and it's absurd the resolution change on the retina. Looking at her screen is just mindblowing.

Yes, but with a digital version I can play online all the time. It does have asynchronous play, right?
  • I say you buy a $500 iPad for a $7 game.
  • I say you buy a $500 iPad for a $7 game.
    Nope! Just bought some PC games instead.

Yes, but with a digital version I can play online all the time. It does have asynchronous play, right?
    It does, yeah. Also an ipad mini is but three hundred and twenty nine of your earth dollars.
  • But it doesn't use Game Center for some unknown and probably ridiculous reason.
  • But it doesn't use Game Center for some unknown and probably ridiculous reason.
    Actually, the probable reason is pretty legit. Game Center's third-party APIs (and pretty much all of iCloud's APIs) suck and don't always work right. Even Apple themselves can't always get them to work right.
  • edited April 2013
    That is odd. So do you have to create an account with them or something to find friends to play with?

Edit: In Simpsons Tapped Out, my hedges turned into Ralph Wiggums.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That is odd. So do you have to create an account with them or something to find friends to play with?
    Yah, and it sends invites via e-mail.
    Actually, the probable reason is pretty legit. Game Center's third-party APIs (and pretty much all of iCloud's APIs) suck and don't always work right. Even Apple themselves can't always get them to work right.
    Oh, are the actual "its your turn" push notifications also handled by GC? I thought GC just gave you a common list of friends to invite to games or compare scores. Now that I think about it tho, the push notification does indeed come from GC and not the app itself.

• :)
    Welp, I was going to write a couple of pages of my thesis but I guess that has to wait a few days now!

• Eclipse really makes me wish ios board game devs would put in some more effort and add in good Airplay support :(
  • Eclipse really makes me wish ios board game devs would put in some more effort and add in good Airplay support :(
    Is online play no good?
  • I havent even tried it yet cause I can't remember how to play for the life of me, ahah. I just mean for pass and play, cause it's not very useful when you can't see the board while someone else is taking their turn. Would be cool to airplay all the public info to a TV, while all the hidden stuff stays on the ipad.
  • edited April 2013
    The optimal (and bourgeois) solution would be to put shared information on an ipad, and have each player pair an iphone to use for their secret information.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • So I've played a couple games of Eclipse using the new app, and the interface is pretty solid with only a couple gripes.

1) Kind of frustrating when you hit the "X" button to undo a move, when it actually means do nothing instead. It should have different text when the button skips a move instead of canceling what you started doing.

2) Not entirely sure what the "Undo" button does at all.

3) Not being able to see your stats when given the choice of victory points or artifact.

Otherwise, very impressed, and I managed to come in not last both times, despite never playing the game before.