This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Adventure Time!

edited May 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, it's Adventure Time! (Scott wouldn't sing the song). In the news, Venture Brothers is starting up a new season soon, physical media continues to die, and Princess Knight is getting a remastered release (but dub only).

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Couldn't you just torrent the 1080p Utena remaster instead of ripping?
  • edited May 2013
    Haven't listened to the episode yet, so I'm not sure if they addressed this or not, but I think I remember them saying they don't like the way the remasters look. Which is just silly, but they're entitled to their opinion.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I have seasons 1-3 on my hard drive, torrented ages ago. Just haven't gotten to watching it yet.
  • Good episode, the inspiration is upon me, going to marathon S1 right n.. . .. .
  • It took me a long time to realise this was an actual thing. For the longest time I genuinely thought it was a meme of convincing someone that a show exisited when it didn't really.

Hmmm £20 for season 1 on iTunes. Standard definition... Seemingly no other legal option watch it. I might just hold off until after I've heard this episode.
  • I saw Rym favorite this song and was like "Huh, I wonder when that comes up." The next episode I watched was What Was Missing.

Awesome episode (one of my favorites), but I think I must have missed the brooding resentment between Princess Bubblegum and Marceline. They've been in the same room, what, a handful of times? The drama came out of left field for me, but was entertaining drama anyway.

Did anyone else see that coming, and I'm just oblivious?
  • edited May 2013

Also, Cinnamon bun isn't just dumb, he's brain damaged. Early in the first season he falls and hits his head and his speech and overall character changes to that of someone with serious brain damage.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Adventure time interview from the NYCC that a friend of mine did, take a look if you want to know how they create the show.
  • I loved it, it's Zelda with amazing writing and a great soundtrack. It's a bit on the short side though, iirc.
  • It's a legit game and the writing is spot-on. They worked very closely with Pen Ward to make sure they got it right. It's made by WayForward(who did the Switchforce games and is doing the Ducktails remake) and it's basically the spiritual successor to Zelda II.
  • It's a legit game and the writing is spot-on. They worked very closely with Pen Ward to make sure they got it right. It's made by WayForward(who did the Switchforce games and is doing the Ducktails remake) and it's basically the spiritual successor to Zelda II.
    What is the difference between the DS and 3DS versions?
  • Mostly that the 3DS version has higher quality music, wider aspect ratio and brighter colors. There's also the 3DS only easter egg(s).
  • edited May 2013
    Archer is all about the stylized banter to me as well; what I tend to find lacking is any characters I can connect to emotionally and any attempt to ever tell a serious story or parody anything more substantial than Sealab. I've still watched every episode for the banter, but I tend to marathon them in chunks with a few friends.

I also think Bob's Burgers does that kind of thing well, particularly between the kids, but it has a bit of heart in its stories. It's also got lots of weird characters who aren't too dumb to live or "wacky," and it builds out its town with a strong supporting cast. You all should check that one out; it's not for nothing that a) it was the only Fox show to gain ratings last year and b) AV Club is calling it the most enjoyable show running right now. As with most western comedies, it seems, the first season is kind of rough. Heck, start with S3. "Boyz 4 Now" is up on Hulu and was a great recent episode.

Venture Brothers has repeatedly failed to click for me despite so many trusted people telling me about it. I love Brock but nothing else. I'm going to try skipping to S2.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I've played a bit of the Adventure time Game for DS. Its definitely Zelda II. I'm sure the 3DS version is better, but playing the DS version it didn't feel like a shitty backwards port or anything if you just want to buy/pirate it right now, for those without 3DS's.
  • Listened the episode and decided that it's time for me to continue watching Adventure Time.
    Downloaded the first season and now I'll try to find the episode where I was left when I last watched the show. And rewatching some episodes in the process.
  • edited May 2013
    I'd just like to point out to Scott that Dr. Princess isn't a princess (that's just her surname) so you can't date her.
    Post edited by Ganty on
  • I'd just like to point out to Scott that Dr. Princess isn't a princess (that's just her surname) so you can't date her.
    Pretty sure the reason I can't date her is because she is a fictional character.
  • edited May 2013
    She might not be a princess, but she is a Princess.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2013
    I always figured this is a show I'd like but I just end up putting off watching it. Started watching the first season last night on Netflix and I'm really digging it. My only criticism is I don't really understand why they change up his exclamations so much but that's just sort of nitpicking.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'd just like to point out to Scott that Dr. Princess isn't a princess (that's just her surname) so you can't date her.
    Pretty sure the reason I can't date her is because she is a fictional character.
    Technology will fix that someday.
  • I like how there's one episode where the message is that violence is the answer and to not be a pussy.
  • Just listened to this, and aside from reaffiing to myself that I need to press further into season 1, I was left with one main question: why was the podcast stinger music the Fushigi Yuugi theme?
  • I randomly choose stingers based on random urges.
  • Fair enough.
  • Just listened to this, and aside from reaffiing to myself that I need to press further into season 1, I was left with one main question: why was the podcast stinger music the Fushigi Yuugi theme?
    I randomly choose stingers based on random urges.
    I thought the Fushigi Yuugi theme was due to the whole talking about season/series ending cliffhanger stuff you mentioned during the show and that you were confusing FY with Escaflowne for some reason as FY was way worse about the whole cliffhanger than than Escaflowne was, IMHO.