This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I don't want your stupid thing, Google!

edited May 2013 in Technology
I don't know why this is happening, but it's becoming a nuisance right now.

Every time I go to any page on YouTube, this weird little download prompt pops up:

Would anyone happen to know what this is? This happens every time I click a link on YouTube, whether it be a video, my inbox, my subscriptions...ANYTHING!

Has anyone else gotten this, and does anyone know of a solution so I don't have to keep clicking Cancel whenever it shows up?
Post edited by Daikun on

Comments

• What Firefox extensions do you have installed? Are you in the latest Firefox (20)?
  • Wikipedia: Webkit --> Drosera browser --> Drosera --> Carnivorous plants are horrifying --> Cape Sundew (Drosera Capensis) --> Could be cool to have them around to trap flies.
  • What Firefox extensions do you have installed? Are you in the latest Firefox (20)?
    Adblock Plus
    DownloadHelper
    feedly
    Greasemonkey
    IE Tab
    IE View
    NoSquint
    Status-4-Evar

Yes, Firefox is up to date.
  • It might be the DownloadHelper one. Try disabling it and restarting?

Or you could, you know, use Chrome like everyone else.
  • It's probably an ad or something being received with a MIME type that Firefox doesn't know how to handle, so it defaults to downloading it. I've had it happen when I fuck up configuring Apache.
  • What the fuck is DownloadHelper? That sounds like bad news before I even go to google about it.
  • It's probably an ad or something being received with a MIME type that Firefox doesn't know how to handle, so it defaults to downloading it.
    It's probably the +1 button, but I don't have the same issue in my Firefox, so there's definitely something else going on.

DownloadHelper looks like it's something about downloading YouTube videos and such, but I don't know why you'd use that when there are hundreds of Greasemonkey scripts that do a way better job at the same thing (I use YouTube Center).

Do you ever actually use IE Tab or IE View? I used to have stability issues with those back when I still used Firefox.
  • edited May 2013
    What the fuck is DownloadHelper? That sounds like bad news before I even go to google about it.
    It's a Firefox addon that lets you download embedded media in websites that use Flash or other such crap to "secure" it.
    Do you ever actually use IE Tab or IE View? I used to have stability issues with those back when I still used Firefox.
    I only use it for a few websites.

P.S. I'm not getting that download prompt anymore. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm glad it stopped. In case it happens again, though, I'll come back to this thread.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Well, something is broken in your install.

I would uninstall firefox and re-install it clean. If the problem doesn't go away, I'd assume malware.
  • Well, something is broken in your install.

I would uninstall firefox and re-install it clean. If the problem doesn't go away, I'd assume malware.
    This. Also, don't install extensions for rarely used things and/or disable them when you're not using them. I use chrome with flash and JavaScript enabled on demand only, and use FF (with verbose firewall rules) only when I need Java. There was just a point where FF turned into Howl's Chicken Castle.