This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Passwords and Cheat Codes

edited May 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we nominally talk about passwords and cheat codes (e.g., why PAKING PAKING PAKING PAKING and 8uuuuu uuuuuu uuuuuu uuuuuu work the way they do). We also talk at length about why World of Warcraft is fading so quickly, the Stanley Cup playoffs, and a new Adventure Time game is coming.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Just to clear this up, WoW isn't "Dying" or "Fading".

1) Blizzard just cleared out a ton of gold farmer accounts and made it harder for them to make new accounts.

2) Changes to the rules of certain areas (namely, PvP Battlegrounds) have made multi-boxing (and thus, multiple accounts per person) basically useless.

3) It's the middle of an expansion, so we're seeing a natural drop before the next one picks up steam again.

Consider that World of Warcraft has more paying subscribers than there are people in the entirety of New York City. All five boroughs put together just barely equals WoW's subscriber base.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I used to be annoyed with passwords because of the extra bother and because it doesn't always save it exactly, but now I kind of like them because I don't have to worry about the battery in those games dying.
  • I recently discontinued my xbox gold membership and it didn't give me any of that bullshit, it just okay and set it to not auto renew.
  • What Neito said. 8-something million is not dead. And it won't die for another 3-5 years. Then Warcraft IV. Then WoW 2.
    Trust me.
  • The number of WoW players will never rise again. Dying doesn't mean dead: it means dying. WoW is currently the realm of depressives, noobs, and addicts
  • The number of WoW players will never rise again. Dying doesn't mean dead: it means dying. WoW is currently the realm of depressives, noobs, and addicts
    We shall see when the next expansion comes out. Sure it's dying, but so is everything else. The numbers WoW pulls are still impressive and I'm sure that the expansion will get yet again some burst of attention towards it. Sure it will never reach it's previous peaks again but there's still life left in it.

• edited May 2013

I agree with Scott, I don't think LoL is pulling people. I do know some people who used to play WoW who now play LoL but almost everyone I know who plays LoL are not people who played WoW. I agree that people still want that coordination, but I think that LoL is only the current facet because its the most popular. If NS2 was more accepted they would just as readily engage in that.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
    I mean, I've resubscribed again and have read about many people resubscribing. When expansions hit, the numbers go back up. It's happened like clockwork each expansion. Especially if the rumors about the expansion are true and we go back to the area from the first expansion, all the WoW players who talk about "the glory days" will come back.

• ...all the WoW players who talk about "the glory days" will come back.

I highly doubt that. ;^)

I highly doubt that. ;^)

Trust me, I hear this story constantly. The people who bitch so heavily about WoW are the ones who want to come back. The promise of going back to upgraded old content will get them to drop $40 on the expansion. They'll play for two months and then stop. That alone will get Blizzard lots of money.

• If I want some MMO action there are so many "decent" Free to play MMO's that are not pay to win. Why would I ever go back to WoW at this point (also they completely screwed up the gameplay)
  • If I want some MMO action there are so many "decent" Free to play MMO's that are not pay to win. Why would I ever go back to WoW at this point (also they completely screwed up the gameplay)
    What F2P MMO is not pay to win?
  • Just think, the little children who played WoW when they were 12 will soon be old enough to feel nostalgic for it.

I highly doubt that. ;^)

I agree with this, if only because I personally have been through the cycle of hardcore raiding, playing as a casual, leaving, coming back, etc.

I bought every expansion and played for a shorter and shorter time after each one. The first expansion I did not buy was Pandas, but that's because I was given beta access for free and I realized I was done with it before I got out of the beta.

I don't know if this is personal bias or not, but I also see friends of mine doing the same thing. It's just that after this many expansions, that magic that you get from being in the WoW experience is just straight gone. I know a few stragglers, but for the most part, it just gets old faster and faster.

So, is it just my friends/Rym's Friends/Wow Messageboards that are providing confirmation bias, or is this going to happen as a whole?
    Define win. Doing PvP in F2P MMO, might be stupid, but doesn't stop from exploring the PvE side of the game.

Define win. Doing PvP in F2P MMO, might be stupid, but doesn't stop from exploring the PvE side of the game.

If there is anything to spend money on which has a mechanical in-game effect. Buying hats that are purely aesthetic is fine. Buying swords, XP, stats, etc. is not cool.

• edited May 2013
    I view P2W as anytime you get something that effects the game that you can not get by playing the game that is better. So I don't view buying swords or boosts to EXP as issues as long as you can get them by playing the game.

Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2013
    I view P2W as anytime you get something that effects the game that you can not get by playing the game that is better. So I don't view buying swords or boosts to EXP as issues as long as you can get them a legit way.
    That's still paying to win because you can use money instead of time. The game is testing your determination/patience/persistence, but money will bypass that test.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2013
    That's only if that part of the game is the actual game. That's more of the annoyance while the other aspects of the game are why I would play it.
  • If there is anything to spend money on which has a mechanical in-game effect. Buying hats that are purely aesthetic is fine. Buying swords, XP, stats, etc. is not cool.
    So if John Random can do a mission 14 seconds faster than you because he paid money for special moneygun, it somehow makes it so that you can't enjoy the mission yourself?

• That's only if that part of the game is the actual game. That's more of the annoyance while the other aspects of the game are why I would play it.
    Why play a game that has annoying parts and pay to remove the annoying parts? Just play a different fucking game.
  • If there is anything to spend money on which has a mechanical in-game effect. Buying hats that are purely aesthetic is fine. Buying swords, XP, stats, etc. is not cool.
    So if John Random can do a mission 14 seconds faster than you because he paid money for special moneygun, it somehow makes it so that you can't enjoy the mission yourself?

No. It just means the game is a bullshit money trap for the weak-willed.
  • No. It just means the game is a bullshit money trap for the weak-willed.
    If it's fun to play, I don't care.

• edited May 2013
    It's not really annoying if the game is good. For example I could pay like 30 dollars and get a bunch of stuff quickly in Planetside 2, but I enjoy the game and it's not really about what stuff you have.
  • edited May 2013
    Dead Space 3 was fun, and despite all the bitching I heard about "Pay to win DLC" I was able to complete the game without paying a red cent, and it didn't ruin my fun at all.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • It's really only an issue in games where people are playing against each other and the items provide a advantage that can not be achieved without spending money.
  • That's only if that part of the game is the actual game. That's more of the annoyance while the other aspects of the game are why I would play it.
    Why play a game that has annoying parts and pay to remove the annoying parts? Just play a different fucking game.
    Exactly, especially if they make it extra grindy to get those things. For example, I downloaded a free JRPG-style game for iOS a while back and it seemed fun and interesting (at least if you're into JRPGs, anyway). Then I got 2 or 3 towns into it and saw that in order to purchase the best equipment, even this early in the game, I either had to fork over real money or spend way too much time grinding to get enough in-game currency to purchase it. Haven't played the game since.
  • Well the game actually has to be fun, not just seem fun. I haven't found a F2P game that's a MOORPG that has really grabbed me, though someday I'll probably try KOTR2, Star Trek, LOTR or Neverwinter if I ever get around to it.
  • I tried LOTR demo DVD that came in a PAX swag bag. You can skip that shit.
  • Well the game actually has to be fun, not just seem fun. I haven't found a F2P game that's a MOORPG that has really grabbed me, though someday I'll probably try KOTR2, Star Trek, LOTR or Neverwinter if I ever get around to it.
    That's just it. It was fun for the first couple of dungeons or so, before things got insanely grindy. When you got just a little ways in, that's when the prices in the local shops went up exponentially and the game itself got far more grindy. At that point, it stopped being fun.

I know RPGs, and JRPGs in particular, are supposed to be at least a little grindy. I'm actually okay with that to an extent as I don't mind RPG combat, especially if there's a bit more to it than just "push A" over and over and over again. For example, a reasonable amount of grinding to me means that you get enough money and experience to advance just by cleaning out a dungeon of all its treasures and, in dungeons without random encounters, monsters. In a game with random encounters, the rate in said dungeon better not be too high and still allow for earning enough money and experience to advance. Heck, I'm also okay with spending a little bit (say no more than 30 minutes or so, total) of time per town grinding outside of dungeons in order to get the hottest gear available in said town.

The grindiest JRPG I've ever played was probably Phantasy Star II, although part of that was because you had such a huge cast of characters in it, all of whom start out at level 1 no matter when they are made available to you, and you often needed to grind with some of them quite a while in order to get some crucial stuff (i.e. Shir Gold needed to be at least at level 10, if I recall correct, in order to steal some necessary items like the Visiphone, Star Mist, and Moon Dew). Even here, though, once you get past a certain point, most of the "grinding" mostly consisted of crawling through some of the most insanely difficult dungeons ever committed to ROM chips, a challenge intellectually stimulating enough, IMHO, that it wasn't all that much of a grind, especially when compared to just wandering around outside of a town fighting monsters over and over.

The problem with this iOS game in question is that in order to get the really good stuff in town, you'd need to spend hours and hours grinding per town.