This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

summer jobs for a kid

edited May 2013 in Everything Else
My 14 year old needs something to do for the summer other than sit all day on her computer. Ideas?
Post edited by HMTKSteve on

Comments

• Online marketing :-p
  • In my area there's a company for 12-15 yos that sells chocolate or something.
  • Summer camp counselor. Best job in the world
  • Read a book, read a book, read a motherfucking book.
    +1 to that.

If she's crafty, you could encourage her to try selling something homemade on etsy. That could be rewarding.
  • I have a cousin who did an internship around that age, it was called "graphic design" but was for a local sign printing shop. As far as I can tell, it was some VERY basic photoshop work, mostly just arranging logos with text.

But that sort of thing goes back to sitting on someone else's computer all day.....
  • Any ideas that involve her staying home will turn into her staying on her computer all day. Socialization is more important than monetization.
  • edited May 2013
    Summer camp counselor. Best job in the world
    I am looking into that and volunteering at Animal Welfare. Unfortunately those positions get filled quickly by the Montesori kids.

The summer camp ones usually go to kids who have been going to the camp previously.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
    +1 to that.
    Even if it is a Day camp it is great experience.

I am looking into that and volunteering at Animal Welfare. Unfortunately those positions get filled quickly by the Montesori kids.

The summer camp ones usually go to kids who have been going to the camp previously.
    It is true that kids who go to a camp, and are now too old to go to that camp, often become counselors. However, out of a cabin of maybe less than 10 kids usually only one or two will move up to CIT or counselor. But the camp needs counselors for the entire camp, usually 15-20 per gender depending on the size of the camp. There are a metric fuckton of day and/or sleepaway camps in the area. It will not be hard to find one with room.
  • My time in a similar role in a military cadet program had rewarding parts mixed in with a great deal of suck (but it was still an incredibly educational experience).
  • I have been looking at the 'sitter wanted' ads but they all require driving. Everyone I know with little kids also has older kids to watch them.

While there may be day camps in the area if they are too far from my daily commute getting her there and picking her up will be a problem.
  • Honestly nothing wrong with letting your kid do what she wants for a summer. I didn't work until the summer of my senior year. I sent the days playing video games and Board games and Dungeon's and Dragons and wandering around.. Let her be a kid for a another year once you drive then make them work :-p
  • Honestly nothing wrong with letting your kid do what she wants for a summer. I didn't work until the summer of my senior year. I sent the days playing video games and Board games and Dungeon's and Dragons and wandering around.. Let her be a kid for a another year once you drive then make them work :-p
    While I agree her Guardian ad Litem and mother disagree. In order for me to keep custody she needs to do something other than sit In house all day.

I looked into day camps and sleep away camps but it is too expensive for me.
  • edited May 2013
    Honestly nothing wrong with letting your kid do what she wants for a summer. I didn't work until the summer of my senior year. I sent the days playing video games and Board games and Dungeon's and Dragons and wandering around.. Let her be a kid for a another year once you drive then make them work :-p
    While I agree her Guardian ad Litem and mother disagree. In order for me to keep custody she needs to do something other than sit In house all day.

Dance or swimming or something?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • My only summer job ever as a kid was working for the US Census. The next one's about seven years out, so that isn't really an option. ;^)

Some camps have "scholarships" or needy camper funds allowing some kids to go to the camp who can not afford it. Some honestly don't want the entire camp to be 100% rich snooty kids.
  • On paper I make too much to qualify for financial aid.
  • Are there parks in the area? Farms? Art galleries?
  • Yeah, camp counseling is awesome, but I think you were on the right track looking at more volunteer-oriented things too. If she's into animals, animal shelter stuff is perfect.
  • There may be local museums or parks who need volunteers for the summer.
  • Museums are definitely good. Parks can be hit or miss depending what they want you to do. It isn't going to be a very positive experience for her if all she's doing is picking up trash, unless that's something she happends to be enthusiastic about.
  • Any stables or something like that? Failing that farm work.
    That's not a bad idea. Hard to become an adult too proud to swing a shovel-full of shit, when you've spent a summer or two shoveling shit.
  • When I was 14, I worked at a hardware store for the summer. Went back the summer I was 15, then started a regular part-time job at a dry cleaners when I was 16.

Got any family friends who need a stock clerk?
    That's not a bad idea. Hard to become an adult too proud to swing a shovel-full of shit, when you've spent a summer or two shoveling shit.
    Truth. My first real job was cleaning buses, and let me tell you, the average bus rider does not give a shit about picking up after themselves.

• Mechanical Turk.
  • Day-camp volunteer/teaching assistant.
    Truth. My first real job was cleaning buses, and let me tell you, the average bus rider does not give a shit about picking up after themselves.

I would argue that labouring of any description is one of the best things you can do when young. You really learn the value of your money when you have killed yourself to get it. There is also a great feeling of acomplishment when you are done, hell there is stuff that I did nearly ten years ago that is still standing.
  • 14 is definitely a tough age. Around me, nobody started hiring for jobs until age 15, and that was only for supermarket and fast food work. This is also aside from the local weekly paper route I had since age 9 that paid me decently, but in extremely shady ways. Any theme parks or large tourist attractions by you? They do a lot of seasonal employment.