This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Animation Shorts and Features

1235»

Comments

• edited April 2013
    To Disneys credit, they weren't turning out tons of crap back in the old'n days. It wasn't really technologically feasible, I understand, but I seriously doubt Walt would approve of things like Camp Rock, Austin & Ally, etc..

Also, there is nothing wrong with taking the best of the old stuff as you put it. If you look at the entire body of work from studio opening until about 1970, it was all more or less of equal, good quality.

Some of todays programming on the Disney channel is just pure garbage. There is no equivalent in the old stuff.

And are we really calling stuff from the 90's and 2000's old stuff? I mean, really?
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I was talking more about this type of nostalgia and commentary in general, not so much about your specific example. Recently I saw someone have a similar complaint about comedy sketch shows on TV. So I checked on YouTube and it turns out sooooo much of older comedy shows were just as bad as the current crop. It's easy to hold up the best examples of the past and the worst of today and say the past wins.

As for your example, I've never even heard of most of the "Disney Now" titles. I know who the Jonas brothers are, but that's it. Are these TV shows or movies?

Either way, I have particular problems with the "Disney Before" titles as paragons of quality. Tarzan is, I think, my least favourite of all Disney animated movies (eg. how the hell did an elephant climb onto a pirate ship? WTF?). Eddie Murphy and the dragon is the least interesting of any sidekick character (not a single laugh from me, even the little bird in Pocahontas got one). I watched Aladdin on a flight recently and, in case you've not seen it recently, it's SUPER dated (due mostly to the Genie's pop culture references) and remarkably racist. Lilo and Stitch was fun enough, but almost completely forgettable.

Put these against Wreck It Ralph or Tangled? No contest, in my mind.
  • It also forgets the sea of live action features of dubious quality Disney put out at a few junctures along the way.
  • Bad news, Dromaro, you've just entered the Topical Kingdom of Greg, Population: Disney Trivia.
    It also forgets the sea of live action features of dubious quality Disney put out at a few junctures along the way.
    This. Anyone remember The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes? Herbie the Love Bug? How about their animated Rotten Age, boasting such titles as Donald in Mathmagicland? Their educational oddities like Would You Eat A Blue Potato? How about that movie inspired by Walt's trip to South America to fight Nazis that was so unremarkable I can't even remember what to google to find its name (seriously, I remember Iwerks worked on the special effects for it, so I went to his Wikiped page but didn't find any leads, then went to the Disney Studios page but couldn't find their filmography page, then looked in the index of my dead-tree copy of Hand Behind the Mouse and couldn't fucking find it)?

Disney has been a bountiful farm of crap since they got enough money to be one from their propaganda work during the war. For as long as anyone posting on this forum has been alive, Disney has been marked by forgettable works not bad enough to lose money but not good enough for anyone to pay attention to.
    It wasn't really technologically feasible, I understand, but I seriously doubt Walt would approve of things like Camp Rock, Austin & Ally, etc..
    They make money, so Walt would approve of them. Contrary to what the Disney corporation would like you to believe, Walt was a capitalist above all else. If it made money, he'd approve of it. The one possible exception would be his City of Tomorrow project, but even that we'll never know because we didn't get to watch it evolve with him, but rather under the eyes of Roy and Roy E.

And, yeah, Luke is right, the "Disney Before" (before what?) titles are not overall great, they're just watchable. Lion King is taking three flavors that taste great (Hamlet, Kimba, and Elton John) and fucking up all of them, Tarzan is... in terms of craft, it's probably the worst Renaissance movie. The only thing remarkable about Mulan is their choice in source material, they don't do anything interesting with it. Aladdin is not the all time great people say it is. If you remove the Genie, it almost is, but with him it's mediocre. Really, I think the only all time great on there is Lilo & Stitch -- and Bambi, but what's Bambi doing there? I love it, but it came over 20 years before everything else in that picture.

• Not sure if this has been posted, but I really like the animation, specially how organically the characters are animated: each going as a unique unit rather than in unison, which is best seen in the crowd scenes and such.
  • How about their animated Rotten Age, boasting such titles as Donald in Mathmagicland?
    Donald Duck in Mathmagic land is the reason I was so interested in maths at a young age, and I credit it as a huge factor in much of my success to this day.

• Yea people sometimes forget that some things are good for the age range they are targeted for....
  • It was an interesting point metric that, in my high school, every single person taking the advanced calculus and physics C tests had seen Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land, and no one not taking them had.
  • Yea people sometimes forget that some things are good for the age range they are targeted for....
    What was it targeted for? I watched when I was 11 or 12.
  • Cartoon Network released the Steven Universe pilot on their website yesterday, and they took it down after only 24 hours.

Thankfully, a few brave souls reuploaded it to YouTube.

• Oh, thankful for that reupload. I was planning to watch it, and assumed it would be up for awhile. Actually, I was right. Nothing can be deleted from the Internet.
  • Watch it last night, sooo cute!
  • Oh that was pretty awesome, I love the idea of that item.
  • edited May 2013
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • New mickey mouse short! and it looks AWESOME!
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy5tqt_mickey-mouse-croissant-de-triomphe_shortfilms
    That's fantastic. Y U NO MOAR!?

• edited May 2013
    New mickey mouse short! and it looks AWESOME!
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy5tqt_mickey-mouse-croissant-de-triomphe_shortfilms
    That was actually released a couple of months ago on Disney's website. It was region-locked, though, so not everyone could watch it. I hope that link is more accessible to the world.
    That's fantastic. Y U NO MOAR!?
    There will be moar.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Cartoon Network released the Steven Universe pilot on their website yesterday, and they took it down after only 24 hours.

Thankfully, a few brave souls reuploaded it to YouTube.
    And it got taken down. That was quick.

Here's a download if you missed it.
    I like it. I can't quite say that I love it, but it's heading in the right direction and I fully support getting more of it.

• Maybe not appropriate, but I had a major nostalgia rush watching it again. (And I got to show it to my girlfriend, who adored it.)

It's much better to watch it all back to back, because you can see the subtext and get a more complete feeling for the world and characters. I actually think the first There She Is! may be the weakest because it's just a one sided chase/joke. 2 and 5 are my favorites because they have the best musical choices and the animation definitely jumped up in quality.
  • Maybe not appropriate, but I had a major nostalgia rush watching it again. (And I got to show it to my girlfriend, who adored it.)

It's much better to watch it all back to back, because you can see the subtext and get a more complete feeling for the world and characters. I actually think the first There She Is! may be the weakest because it's just a one sided chase/joke. 2 and 5 are my favorites because they have the best musical choices and the animation definitely jumped up in quality.
    This is a part of my nostalgia of being online and watching Newgrounds all the time. I think I watched the first one a billion times.

Out of the 5 shorts, my favorite is the 3rd. It's the transition from the lighthearted tone to the darker heavy message tone of the last two.
  • That was the first time I watched all of that. I think I had only seen the first before. I really liked it.
    Disney Channel promo for more new shorts.

Disney Channel promo for more new shorts.
    The shorts begin airing this Friday, and Disney has released another short on their website.
  • edited July 2013
    All of the DC Nation shorts were uploaded on Youtube this week. Several are pretty good if not amazing, and more generally I hope they get a lot of views so we see more of this behavior.

Post edited by Nissl on
  • It took me a while to figure out why Wonder Girl is hispanic. It's a very non-cannon logic, but logic nonetheless.
  • OK, so this is a game trailer, but it's so well done that I would qualify it as an animation short.
  • A legitimately heartwarming little animation about memes, from the main guy who makes Senpai Club.