This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablets (the iPad kind)

Comments

• Part of the problem with the Surface is that it uses a brand new API, and I don't think said API has even been around long enough for anyone to figure out how to properly use it yet. Again, MS screwing the pooch for not allowing people enough time to learn the new APIs and get top-notch apps out.
  • I just had a play with an iPad Mini for the first time. I thought I wouldn't like it now that I'm used to the retina screen on mz iPhone and the non-retina on my girlfriend's ipad 2 is painful to read on. But the smaller screen at the same resolution is actually totally acceptable. It's the same pixel density as my old iphone 3gs, but typically held further away. I didn't think I needed a book reader, as I do fine with my iphone... but damn...
  • Walmart was selling the Nexus 7 for $120. All sold out :(
  • I played with a Nexus 7, but I'm not sure if I didn't like it because of the screen shape or because I wasn't used to Android. It felt weird in my hand, that's all I know.
  • My netbook is dead. Not only did it measurably slow down (with benchmarks) but now the powercord is dead. I use it primarily for school, but it was also just a great on the go computing device when it came to things that my Nook tablet couldn't do. Come January I plan on replacing it with a Windows 8 device, but I'd like your opinions/suggestions.
    Here are my requirements, both hard and soft:
    Hard:
    • Touchscreen
    • Full Windows 8 (not RT), which means it would have to have an...
    • ...x86 processor
    • 720p cameras (at least) on both sides)
    • at least five hours of battery life
    Soft:
    • SD or MicroSD storage
    • Core i5 would be preferred
    • if it came with a keyboard or a keyboard dock, that would be great
    • Bluetooth and HDMI would also be good
    I've been eyeing this one for a while. The Acer Iconia W700. It meets my specs save for the SD card feature. I think I should get the 64GB variant, but my dad suggests getting the 128GB.

The other option is the Surface Pro which would be just as good, except it isn't out yet and I would need to purchase whatever would replace my netbook before school starts again.
  • edited December 2012
    Here's a point in favor of Apple tablets. Last year, my mom got an iPad. Over the past couple of months, the home button started acting flaky -- basically, it wouldn't always register presses and when it did, you had to press it very hard. I finally brought her to an Apple store to get it looked at yesterday. The tech listened to the problem and checked the warranty status of her iPad. As there were only 3 days left on the warranty, he was like "you know, I could fix this, but there's no guarantee the problem won't crop up again. I'll just get you a new one at no charge." So my mom weld in with a broken iPad ad waled out with a brand new one, no charge and no questions asked.

Love or hate Apple's products and prices, but for that premium price you do get premium customer service. I can't see any other tablet vendor doing what Apple did for my mom under the same circumstances.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Yeah, my girlfriend found two dead pixels on her iPhone 5. She reported it one day, a new phone arrived the next, she packed up her old one and a delivery guy picked it up the day after. Less than 24 hours for a new phone, no questions asked. It cost 30 euro for postage, but if there had been an Apple store in Berlin (there is one under construction) it would have been free. This was without any kind of Apple Care program.

Contracting this with similar dead-pixel problems I've had with other technology companies, it's really a breath of fresh air.
  • edited December 2012
    When Apple's customer service works, it's really the best. I've never had a problem, but some people have horror stories.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • I've only ever had horror stories at every non-Apple store and company, so 90% horror free with Apple is still a massive step up!
  • Same story as Luke, my friend got an iPhone 5, 2 dead pixels. The Apple guy was 100% on my friends side, said you can't spend that kind of money and not be happy with your phone and got a replacement to him in 3 days.

Insane service.
  • Have to agree. Walked in with an unresponsive clip-on shuffle and left with a new one. No receipt or anything.
  • Yeah, Apple's customer service as I saw this past Saturday has earned me more loyalty to them than I had before, at least when it comes to phones and tablets.
  • edited March 2013
    Alright, check it out. I got the brilliant idea today that I could use an Android tablet I with music trackers and notation software and get a lot done while I'm out and about. Does anyone have opinions on the Nexus 7 vs the Galaxy Tab 7" vs this cuz it's really cheap vs something else in the under $200 price range?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2013
    People who fill up their storage or need more are filling it with crap. It's like, you have an 8 oz glass to drink out of. You fill it with 8 oz of drink. That's the size you need. But there's no room to spare. So you get a 12 oz glass. Next thing you know, you're always drinking 12 oz of beverage. So you get a 24 oz glass, and you start always drinking 24 oz and get fat! Skinny people like me may have 32 oz glasses, but I always drink just 8 oz, the correct amount for one serving.
    Observe the soda consumption pattern of most Americans. Holy shit those people with 88 Oz. (Not kidding on the size) drink from 7-11 make me sick.

EDIT : Holy shit. 2 minutes of Journalism(tm) led me to this infographic. I'm so glad I just ate...

Post edited by Dromaro on
  • edited March 2013
    Alright, check it out. I got the brilliant idea today that I could use an Android tablet I with music trackers and notation software and get a lot done while I'm out and about. Does anyone have opinions on the Nexus 7 vs the Galaxy Tab 7" vs this cuz it's really cheap vs something else in the under $200 price range?
    Nexus 7 is still the best of those options right now. That really cheap one is obviously terrible - note that it's running a 1-year old OS and will probably never be updated, while Nexus 7 is on the latest Android and will continue getting updates from Google for at least another year. Nexus 7 will probably be replaced at Google I/O in May.

Hint: If a tablet feels the need to advertise the fact that it has speakers in its Newegg title, it probably doesn't bring very much to the table. The unspecified "3D Accelerator" is not very encouraging, and the advertised battery life of 4-5 hours is half that of the Nexus 7. If you want to use it "on the go," the Kocaso will probably spend most of its time sitting in your bag waiting to be charged.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • That stuff never really phased me. If you drink a gallon of water, you'll lose that gallon relatively shortly. It's what they are drinking that makes it dangerous.
  • So yeah, I'm considering buying an tablet, mostly to read comics on the fly and more conveniently. However, I'm not quite sure where to start because of this specific use case. I would rather like a more open device than an iPad to transfer files more easily and have a better reign over my device.

So where do I start and what would you people recommend?
  • So yeah, I'm considering buying an tablet, mostly to read comics on the fly and more conveniently. However, I'm not quite sure where to start because of this specific use case. I would rather like a more open device than an iPad to transfer files more easily and have a better reign over my device.

So where do I start and what would you people recommend?
    It's a bit overkill just for reading comics, but the Microsoft Surface Pro (not RT) is just a full-fledged computer. Imagine a laptop that has all the hardware in the screen half instead of the keyboard half, and the keyboard is removable. Also, the screen is all wacom-y. Expensive, though. But, it's all open and stuff.

The only other option I see is the Nexus 7.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, that Surface Pro is way out of the price range I'm looking into. Nexus 7 is also where I'm looking at the moment. It's not that reading comics is the only use I hve for the device, but it is the critical one and the primary reason I would like a tablet. Anyway, still got a time. Not going to buy it before my holiday pay arrives next month.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Don't buy anything other than an iPad.
  • There's probably going to be a new Nexus 7 this summer so I'd wait and see.
  • I have an Asus EEE Transformer 10 inch, and it's perfect for reading comics. I don't think that I would want to read them on a 7 inch tablet though, so I would keep that in mind.
  • Transferring files is insanely easy on an iPad btw. There is literally no reason to buy an inferior device, especially given that tablet development is almost entirely geared towards iPad hardware. You might save $100-150 on some cheap plastic android tablet, but the device won't have anywhere near the usable/worthwhile lifespan of an iPad. Android version fragmentation alone is enough of a reason to just stay the hell away from all that.
  • To quote a friend who bought a cheap chinese tablet: "$#%! &%!$#".

Also, about openness; unless you are literally aiming to rewrite stuff at the OS level, there is little of difference between Android and iOS. Tons of open source projects are out there and Xcode is free. If you don't want to pay for the dev access you can root[1], or even easier pay someone $5 on ebay for a provisioning profile (If you don't have any iOS devs in your circle of friends).

[1]: You may need to root your android device depending on which one you buy.
  • XCode is not free if you do not have a Mac.
  • edited May 2013
    XCode is not free if you do not have a Mac.
    Welp, that shows my bias ;-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Go for the Nexus 10 or the iPad. Most publishers design for that size of a screen and comics do not look as good on a 7 inch screen.
  • Yeah. I'm going to have to disagree. I got the iPad mini mainly because I felt my iPad 2 was feeling too bulky and heavy to read while in bed.

Reading comics on the 7 inch screen is great. No complaints here.
  • Nexus 7 or 10, Both are pretty awesome, have great hardware, and if you're already in the Google ecosystem it only gets better. I prefer the 7" one myself, I take my nexus 7 everywhere I go, work, coffee shop, wherever. My only wish was that it had native pen input support, like the Galaxy Note phones.
  • Ro - yes the larger tablets are bulkier to use in bed but I find the 7" screen on mine just isn't big enough because publishers format their stuff for the larger screen.

Comics require scrolling to see properly and magazines are a bust.