This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Arrested Development!

124»

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Wow, of all people, I'm really going to be the first person to talk about the new Arrested Development here? That's sad.

It starts out pretty consistent with the rest of the series. Definitely some very good moments. Also there's a lot of star power. The Workaholics and Ron Howard scenes were especially fun.

There was clearly a benefit to filming all the episodes together and the way they reveal new parts to previous scenes is really clever. I'm only about halfway through the season, but this is the element that probably makes this season surpass previous AD for me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm 5 episodes in. It's a bit different from the original series. It's interesting how each episode is mainly about one character and their point of view, but you can easily see how it's all going to come full circle by the last episode.

It does seem more bleak for the family than how it was in the original series, which makes it kinda sad to me. I dunno.

It's definitely A NU START.
  • I just finished episode nine. They forgot to make the characters human. Before, they tried to do the right thing and failed miserably because they are monstrously selfish. Now just the last part.

I made some notes for when I eventually podcast on season four. They're broken into two sections: 1) Unfortunately it's not very good, and 2) Fortunately it's actually kind of good.

PS: I’m Johnny Storm, the Human Flamer.
  • edited May 2013
    Just finished. I enjoyed it but that ending was really anti-climactic and kinda wtf.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I watched seasons 1-3 for the first time last year. I have only watched them once. I am now two episodes into season 4. It does not feel significantly different in any way - it just feels like more Arrested Development. This is a good thing.
  • In order to strike revenge on all of the aggressive AD-pushers I know, I watched episodes 1 and 2 of Season 1 just after Season 4 came out. Doing my part to add to the server load.
  • I really hate the structure and character-centric editing of the new season. It wasn't until today that I realized that it was originally developed so it could be watched in any order. However, in post-production editing they found it wouldn't work, so had to change the structure. The result is confusing, disjointed, and ultimately less rewarding to watch. Disappointing to say the least.
  • edited May 2013
    Why would they try and make it watchable in any order knowing it was going to be on Netflix? That would make sense only if it were going to air on TV.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Why does anyone think a cancelled show returning to production will EVER live up to fans' ridiculous expectations?
  • I suppose as long as its funny I don't really care how different it is.
  • edited May 2013
    Maybe I'm one of the few who really enjoyed this only because I wasn't much of a fan of the original anyway.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I've enjoyed the two episodes that I've seen. It's not the show that it used to be, but I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting there to be nothing funny, but this has a lot of kinda funny jokes. Nothing immortal like the banana stand, but it's worth watching and I like that.
  • haven't watched yet.. Probably will wait a bit to watch ^_^
  • I really hate the structure and character-centric editing of the new season. It wasn't until today that I realized that it was originally developed so it could be watched in any order. However, in post-production editing they found it wouldn't work, so had to change the structure. The result is confusing, disjointed, and ultimately less rewarding to watch. Disappointing to say the least.
    Wasn't this mostly a result of having to work around cast availability issues?

Anyway, I'm about halfway through S2 of this show, and I'm finding I like S2 a lot more than S1. It's odd to me that I've never seen that opinion in reviews.

• Episode 11 of the new series is quite possibly the best episode of AD ever made.
  • Which one was that?
  • Which one was that?
    I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it either involves The Fantastic Four or a Mariachi Band.
  • It's the GOB/Tony Wonder episode.
  • Maybe I'm one of the few who really enjoyed this only because I wasn't much of a fan of the original anyway.
    Huge fan of the original series here, saying that the new season lived up to my expectations and I liked it a lot.

Props to the Lindsay, Lucille, and Maeby episodes for being the best ones.
  • Episode 11 of the new series is quite possibly the best episode of AD ever made.
    The Sound of Silence cue.
  • I enjoyed Season 4, but I did not care for the first three episodes or so. As the series went along and started to fill in the holes it got better and better. Which was impressive and a nice experiment... but not the best way to draw people in.
  • I still think this is the best Simon and Garfunkel joke ever created.
  • Up to episode 6. I declare AD the unofficial 40th Anniversary Happy Days reunion.
  • More of this, please.
  • Best line:
    For a second, I thought that was a real guy.