This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• I see Retreval Run being really good. The Runner has precious few ways to interact with his Heap, and being able to yank shit out of there, especially "avoiding all costs"? If only there were some self-mill, there'd be some really great ways to cheat cards out turn two or three.
  • I see Retreval Run being really good. The Runner has precious few ways to interact with his Heap, and being able to yank shit out of there, especially "avoiding all costs"? If only there were some self-mill, there'd be some really great ways to cheat cards out turn two or three.
    There is a self mill. You draw cards and then discard when you have too many. This card is really only worth it for femme, but it saves you some test runs possibly.
  • I taught one of my friends, who is mainly into M:tG, yesterday. He said the game was interesting. I also had him watch the Fantasy Flight video tutorials.

He played my Shaper deck vs. my NBN deck and was able to beat me because I couldn't get any solid Ice out.

He said it was a pretty solid game and it was interesting. Hopefully this will be the start of getting my friends into this game to play with Jeremy and myself!
    There is a self mill. You draw cards and then discard when you have too many. This card is really only worth it for femme, but it saves you some test runs possibly.
    I'm talking about MTG levels of self mill. Like, target player mills seven levels.
  • Seattle people. According to /r/Netrunner there is an active group of Netrunners that play Sunday nights at Card Kingdom.
  • Yeah, I know this. It's just difficult for me to trudge all the way up there for evenings before a workday.
  • Yeah it's been talked about a couple time in this thread already hahaha.
  • I don't know if I could handle trying to set up a group for people south of Seattle. I haven't really made the effort to get the word out to play test my games either, which would be higher on the priority list. Card Kingdom is about 45 minutes or so from us too.
  • Finally made it out to some regionals - some 31-ish people showed up to the tournament in San Francisco, crazy stuff. It was 5 rounds of matches, swiss-style scoring w. prestige points to determine the top players, then the top 8 hashed it out. Ultimately, I placed ~18th - I won 5/10 games, which I'm happy about, I just didn't take the majority of match points so I was slightly below the average. Still, considering it was my first really competitive Netrunner and my decks are shit, I'm happy with the 14 prestige points I racked up. Took home some of those snazzy click counters, too. :)
  • OK peeps, looks like I might get this game for myself. Those of you who have been playing a lot: is it really necessary to get the starter x 3? I mean, are any of the one off and two off cards prominent in tournament level / good casual decks?
  • OK peeps, looks like I might get this game for myself. Those of you who have been playing a lot: is it really necessary to get the starter x 3? I mean, are any of the one off and two off cards prominent in tournament level / good casual decks?
    If you want to play casually, just buy one starter and that's it. It is a great two-player game out of the box with tons of variations possible.

If you want to play competitively, you need at least two core sets and one of every expansion. The second core set is going to be necessary since there are lots of 2x cards that you absolutely need 3 copies of. The third core set is not 100% essential, but probably worth it if you get really serious. All the consoles are 1x. Aesop's Pawnshop is 1x. Corporate Troubleshooter is 1x.

Having more core sets also makes it easy to have multiple decks constructed simultaneously without having to swap cards around. If you put 3 sure gambles in each runner deck, then having 9 of them means you can have three runner decks at once.

There are some places you can just buy the 1x and 2x cards from other people who have bought core sets and taken them apart, such as eBay. However, the prices are sometimes silly. I have seen people buy their missing cards for more than the cost of a new core set. Core sets can go as low as $20, such as in this deal that is happening right now.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgadn01.html
  • That deal is why I'm asking the question. Thanks for the concise answer.
  • That deal is why I'm asking the question. Thanks for the concise answer.
    The bad news is they are assholes who rip you off on the core set. The good news is they only rip you off on the core set. Every other expansion that has been, or will be, released contains 3 copies of every card. That way you can construct any possible tournament legal deck.
  • In other news, Netrunner is now above Eclipse on the BGG rankings. I actually think that is very wrong.
  • In other news, Netrunner is now above Eclipse on the BGG rankings. I actually think that is very wrong.
    Hmm, looking at the stats I'd say that it is going to get past Puerto Rico as well...
  • BTW, do three core sets fit into just one box? I assume so but just want to make sure. Anyone want to rebox and ship to me?
  • Even with some data packs, easily. There's a lot of wasted space in the box for expansions.
  • I need to learn how to play this game.

They need to make an RPG out of this. I miss Cyberpunk 2020.
  • That deal says $20, but shipping is $10 which makes it the same price as if you get it off Amazon right now w/ super saver shipping.
  • edited June 2013
    I tried to get in on some sweet deals, but...

$51.95 is a bit rich for my blood
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
    Apples and oranges. Both are great games, that is all you can conclude from that list.
    Apples and oranges. Both are great games, that is all you can conclude from that list.
    No, you can not conclude that. Remember, Twilight Struggle is still #1, and that is oh so wrong.
    No, you can not conclude that. Remember, Twilight Struggle is still #1, and that is oh so wrong.
    Hah, well, I haven't played TS but it can't be TERRIBLE can it?

• There's a lot wrong with the BGG list. Dominion Intrigue, Caylus, and 7 Wonders are all far higher on the list than they should be.

I tend to ignore it, and just look at the ratings of individual games.
  • They do publish the raw voting data and encourage people to come up with better ways to rank the games (they do stuffed median averaging).
  • They do publish the raw voting data and encourage people to come up with better ways to rank the games (they do stuffed median averaging).
    I think it really needs to be a weighted system based on more than just the ratings given by individuals. If a game has been highly rated for a long period, that test of time should count for more. That way a hot new flash in the pan game can't shoot up the charts.

A game that has a lot of forum activity over a long period should get bonus points. Likewise, a game with too much activity in the rules forum should lose points for having rules that require lots of questions. Session posts should count more because it means people are actually playing the game seriously enough to write up their plays. But that also counts against simple games you wouldn't write up sessions for, like Jungle Speed.

Site traffic should also matter. If a lot of people are hitting the page for a particular game, that shows there is something up. If it is possible to acquire reliable game sales data, that should be used. BGG marketplace can also be used. If a game has more buyers than sellers, it's hot. If the average BGG sell price is up or steady over a long period, that says something. If a game gets cheap, not so good.

The problem is that even if you agree that some of these factors should be considered in the rankings, how much? How much is a recent forum post worth compared to a sale in the BGG marketplace? The process of choosing what counts for what ends up being subjective.
  • http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4168

Spin Cycle Data Pack 2 announced. I need that Jinteki Agenda. Who cares about the bad publicity it does. 2 advance 1 point!
  • Plus it only gives you a bad publicity if the runner scum steals it. Now Jinteki can enjoy their own Breaking News!

I was confused by Elizabeth Mills for the better part of a day until I realized "Location" is a type that is on runner cards, and I was getting it confused with "Region".
  • Plus it only gives you a bad publicity if the runner scum steals it. Now Jinteki can enjoy their own Breaking News!

I was confused by Elizabeth Mills for the better part of a day until I realized "Location" is a type that is on runner cards, and I was getting it confused with "Region".
    Yeah, any time they put something in bold on a card like AI, Link, Location, or AP they are talking about card subtypes.