This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Panel Drafting

edited May 2013 in Conventions
Due to the most recent Anime Boston I have been slowly working on a bunch of panels to be used in future events. I thought why not share a thread about some of them and collaborate on ideas.

I really would like to get a Pecha Kucha style panel at a place like Connecticon where we can get everyone in the crew involved in shotgunning 5 minutes presentations on a very specific subject.

Others I am working on (In no particular order)

Bleeps and Bloops 3.0!
How to Stuff your Box!
The Monolopoly Monolith
Daicon: The Panel
I insert a witty description about Meta: the panel
Cardboard Kabuki v1.2
Nerd Music
GET ON WITH IT! A panel about getting things done

Comments

• Right now, Will and I are just working on two: GMing for the Terrified, and Cartoon Openers From Around The World. However, we have plans for new versions of many of our older panels, including Batshit Insane Creators and (especially) Craziest Mecha Moments.
  • Trying to make one panel more dynamic by having the playlist and slides be in video form. Things I learned from this: this will not work on a chrome book.
  • edited June 2013
    Right now, Will and I are just working on two: GMing for the Terrified, and Cartoon Openers From Around The World.
    I have Will down for Monster Hunter 101 at ConnectiCon as well.
    Post edited by eggs on
  • So I am curious if anyone had this in the past, but the Canadian convention I am doing panels on wants talking points. Should I strictly adhere to the points or is there enough wiggle room that after I submitted it to change if necessary?
  • Right now, Will and I are just working on two: GMing for the Terrified, and Cartoon Openers From Around The World.
    I have Will down for Monster Hunter 101 at ConnectiCon as well.
    Yes, but that one's all Will, so I'm technically not working on it. :P
  • edited June 2013
    So I am curious if anyone had this in the past, but the Canadian convention I am doing panels on wants talking points. Should I strictly adhere to the points or is there enough wiggle room that after I submitted it to change if necessary?
    They want talking points, not a script. Just give them an outline of the major topics you're going to hit.
    For example, here's a part of the outline for my "Sound is Magic" lecture.

- Introduction
    --- What is Sound Design?
    --- Topic Previews
    - History
    --- Animation Origins
    --- Synchronized Sound
    --- Toei Animation
    --- Hanna-Barberra
    ------ HB Sound Effects Library
    - Diegesis
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Oh cool, you do sound design? I wanna to learn how to do shit w/ PureData or Max, but it's just so much work for a product I don't actually have any use for.
  • So I've been working on this "Getting into Hip Hop" panel for a while and making some progress, but man it's a lot harder with this sort of subject matter than it is with my other Kung Fu movie panel. Probably because the subject matter isn't as inherently nerdy as Kung Fu movies are.
  • In preparing for my Monopoly panel I had to purchase a DVD for a 1998 release of Monopoly that is scored by fortune (victory points). I could not locate this online anywhere. Semi tempted to post it on YT or something...
  • Oh cool, you do sound design? I wanna to learn how to do shit w/ PureData or Max, but it's just so much work for a product I don't actually have any use for.
    Nobody that I know in the industry uses that. We either use stock effects or do the foley ourselves.
  • Pirated a Monopoly documentary, enough information acquired to do the first half of panel.
    We either use stock effects or do the foley ourselves.
    Are the foley sessions as fun as they look from the promotional/documentary footage I've seen of them?

• So the Monopoly DVD for the victory point game just came in, man graphics are so bad
    Nobody that I know in the industry uses that. We either use stock effects or do the foley ourselves.
    Ahh. I just want to be able to create sounds from scratch honestly. Synthesis ftw
  • ...this shit needs to be shared with the word...anyone know how to do the "choose your own adventure" annotations?
  • Manually.
  • Manually.
    Figured that Handbrake is not helping ripping all the segments
  • edited July 2013
    I've taken over 200 photos of boxes yesterday over 8 hours, now to get them in a coherent order for the panel at CTcon.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
    We either use stock effects or do the foley ourselves.
    Are the foley sessions as fun as they look from the promotional/documentary footage I've seen of them?
    When you have a proper foley stage and money to buy things for the sole purpose of breaking them, then yes. When you don't, it's still fun, but it takes 100x more planning. At that point, it's often just easier to get the right sound effect than to make it yourself.
  • Reworking the Monopoly Monolith post section as well as the Bleeps and Bloops, that might evolve into a general "Nerd Music" panel so that I can cut down on clips but provide more music prowess in the talk.

Going to start applying to MAGFest, hopefully this year I can get at least one panel approved as opposed to zero, also working towards next year's convention schedule and finding my targets for which ones to go to.
  • Gonna spin the WWII cartoons from American Tezukas off into their own panel with some Warner Bros war cartoons. Also going to rebrand it, because attendance has been going down steadily. I don't think people realize I show different cartoons each year.

Are there any cons besides ConnectiCon that would be interested in this? I really love it and wish I could do it more than just the once a year.

• Are there any cons besides ConnectiCon that would be interested in this? I really love it and wish I could do it more than just the once a year.
    I go with the philosophy that if there is a convention near by, then there is a chance, I got into TooManyGames by spit balling my panels in the dark that way.
  • On my day off I will be tweaking panels, and looking into moving away from powerpoint/google presentations after the canada trip.
  • I keep thinking this thread is about racing.
  • The new and revised Otakon version of Family Geeks started to be outlined over dinner Sunday at CTcon. We're building it from the ground up, if only because we're sick of doing the old one (that's part of why we took a year off from it). We're aiming to have it fully outlined and begun by the end of this week, finished by the end of the month.
  • I got my schedule for presenting at Con Bravo this upcoming weekend:

Monopoly Monolith: 11pm to 12 am on Friday

Beyond Bleeps and Bloops: 9pm to 10pm on Saturday

No breaks between panels for set up, I am following LARP 101 and a Panel with James Portnow.

Chance on returning to this convention to present: slim.
  • I spent a good chunk of the morning revising my, uh, script-thingy for the panel I'm submitting to ConnectiCon, "Cancel your Fantasy Heartbreaker: How to Write Tabletop RPGs" and I got about halfway through a dry run before getting fed up and going to make revisions, so I wanna ask a question of more experienced panel-doers in case I'm going about this entirely the wrong way.

How tightly do you script your panels? I've never done this before, so I'm kinda making it up as I go based on what worked for me for school presentations. I've been creating a topic/point list in bullet form then explaining those points to myself, reviewing and iterating on those explanations, but I've not actually been writing a proper script. Should I be?
  • Our lectures are barely scripted.

Until very recently, all we'd do is make a set of slides. We'd make the talk up as we went along based on the slides, and time everything just to them. No script beyond what amounts to a short list of pictures.

Now, we make slides with a few words reminding of the key point we want to make at that juncture. Still, no script at all really.
  • I create an agenda in bullet list form, then translate that to bare-bones slides, as Rym described. Keep it conversational. Try not to slip into either preachy professing or nervousness, both of which will sink a panel. Experience goes a long way here. Just keep doing it.
  • Good to hear I'm roughly on the right track, then.