This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Edward Snowden

edited June 2013 in News
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/12/heres-everything-we-know-about-prism-to-date/

What are your thoughts on this guy, as well as what the NSA's doing?

Comments

• No comment.
    I plead the fourth.
  • I plead the third.
  • I plead that you make your jokes understandable to foreigners.
  • The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
  • I believe that the founding fathers would have written the constitution differently if they knew that technology could have given them so many fun, convenient ways of spying on their constituents. Living document and all that.
  • In all seriousness, between this and all the drone drama, my only concern is the possibility that the line between the government's treatment of US citizens and foreigners may be eroding. I can't say if it is or will, but of all these modern paranoias I find that one the most justifiable.
  • Every time someone mentions his name I think they're talking about a Game of Thrones character.
  • What do you think corporations consider a red flag worthy of giving information to the government?
  • I plead that you make your jokes understandable to foreigners.
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
  • edited June 2013
    I plead that you make your jokes understandable to foreigners.
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
    Well, the US has been at war for the last decade so good luck pleading the third...
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • There's currently, as far as I know, no "Manner prescribed by law" for quartering soldiers.
  • Not unless "soldiers" is government software "quarter" is install and "house" is your PC ;-)
  • Which it isn't. The Third isn't about protecting privacy, it's about not forcing civilians to give up their resources to shelter and feed soldiers. This was actually a serious problem during the 17th and 18th centuries. There would be lowered fertility rates and greatly increased mortality rates whenever soldiers occupied a city -- even without imposing martial law. I was pleading the third just because I always plead it when someone else pleads any amendment. It's my favorite amendment.

Also, technically we haven't been at war since 1945.
  • Which it isn't. The Third isn't about protecting privacy, it's about not forcing civilians to give up their resources to shelter and feed soldiers. This was actually a serious problem during the 17th and 18th centuries. There would be lowered fertility rates and greatly increased mortality rates whenever soldiers occupied a city -- even without imposing martial law. I was pleading the third just because I always plead it when someone else pleads any amendment. It's my favorite amendment.

Also, technically we haven't been at war since 1945.
    What about the Iraq war?
  • There was no declaration of war.
  • What about the war on (drugs, poverty, obesity)... ?
  • There was no declaration of war.
    Didn't Obama declare an end to the Iraq war in one of his early addresses?
  • If he did, it was an end to war, not War.
  • I was completely on board with what Snowden was doing - seemed like whistleblowing done right - until he started talking to the Chinese paper and mentioning specific computers the NSA was hacking. Don't provide help to our biggest, non-democratic rival.

As for the NSA itself, it's necessary but it needs to be scaled back. For example, make phone providers keep a complete database of phone records, but only turn over those that are specifically requested. Figure out a way to put more transparency into the approval system, starting with congress getting off its lazy ass and doing something. Briefings have been available for years, but it's only this week that most of them are learning about it.
  • The important thing to realize is that even though we send our army to shoot other armies in other countries doesn't mean we are at war.
  • edited June 2013
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2013
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Man just knowing I'm being watched makes me feel like I have more friends and I'm more interesting....
    Is that real?
  • No.
    What do you think of PRISM?
  • No.
    It's bad news.
  • No.
    It's bad news.
    Is it that big a problem if corporations only give the government information on specific suspects? And only when asked?
  • Well, privacy is kind of a farce anyway. And I'm more against the blanket surveillance than the suspect thing.