This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• I initially thought Feeedly was going to be my savoir. But in the last few days, I have been having problems with it. It keeps resetting, so it's not keeping track of what I have already read. It's also hanging big time on me, I'm guessing that their servers aren't up to the job yet. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.
  • I initially thought Feeedly was going to be my savoir. But in the last few days, I have been having problems with it. It keeps resetting, so it's not keeping track of what I have already read. It's also hanging big time on me, I'm guessing that their servers aren't up to the job yet. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.
    Has happened to me too. I just hope it's just growing pains which will stabilize with time. Also while the extension is really unreliable for me, the web version works pretty much always.

• I've still be very happy with Feedbin. It gets a little sluggish, but otherwise it's been reliable.

Oh, and apparently AOL now has a Reader.
  • NewsBlur has been great for me so far. Just as good as Google Reader for everything I use it for, and has some really great viewing features with by-feed preferences. It cost me 20 dollars for the year, but I don't mind paying for something I use like that every day.
  • If Google had added something like Reader to Google Plus, I might now have had a reason to use it.
  • edited June 2013
    Digg is going to be releasing their Reader tomorrow, iirc.

As for Feedly, I had to log out and log back in for the iOS apps to have it resync with the web version.

I mainly use the web/Chrome version and it's been good for me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I keep seeing articles (mostly out of Europe) where competitors complain about Google listing its own services more prominently that those offered by rivals. Can someone explain how Google is wrong here?

• I keep seeing articles (mostly out of Europe) where competitors complain about Google listing its own services more prominently that those offered by rivals. Can someone explain how Google is wrong here?

Are those in organic or paid result spots? A lot of times Google will just beat people in the organic results because their stuff is just better.

I mean, seriously. If you search for free email, GMail is the first result. Right?

• I mean, seriously. If you search for free email, GMail is the first result. Right?
    Not necessarily:image

Although, if you follow that about.com link, Gmail is first:image
  • I thought hotmail was dead and replaced by outlook?
  • I thought hotmail was dead and replaced by outlook?
    It was, but it's possible not all the sites that link to Hotmail have been updated to link to Outlook, and most search engines feed that info into whatever their ranking algorithms are.
  • Actually, https://www.google.com/search?q=free+email
    And if you look at that, why gee willikers, Gmail is #1 on that list (though it is at least marked off as a sponsored link).

Oddly enough, the first non-sponsored link from both Google and Bing was the same about.com article.
  • What..
    I suppose it's being fair.
  • Even on Bing, Yahoo and Gmail are 1 and 2 when just searching for "email."
  • I'm trying out Digg reader. It's nice when it works. It's having some trouble loading and such.
  • Feedbin is utter crap. Slow, didn't import my starred items properly and no viewing options to speak of. Seems like someone did minimal work building a ....

Ok now it's down due to server move. Will give it one more chance tomorrow.
  • Feedly is better with the cloud sync. I tried to check out Digg, but it says to send an email to be notified when it's available. :/
  • Feedly is better with the cloud sync. I tried to check out Digg, but it says to send an email to be notified when it's available. :/
    Yeah, I got that email the next day.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm sort of liking feedly as well and the iOS aps seem to sync pretty quickly. The problem is that they are horrible for reading lots of items. Reeder was perfect for that, but that only has feedbin support so far.

These devs spend too much time on making the web app look like google reader! First order of business should be a 1 to 1 replication of the google reader API (second should be desiging for scalability) so that all the apps can just change a url and be done with it.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • How so? There are 4 different view settings they have to offer:

1. Title Only (Google Reader View)
    2. Magazine View
    3. Cards View
    4. Full Article View

I prefer the Full Article View.
  • Should have been more specific. I want the "all" view to be sortable by feed group and then chronologically. I subscribe to a lot of relatively low volume feeds, I don't want to have to go to a side bar every time I switch feeds and reading items that constantly switch from design to architecture to technology to research science to my work related papers to lolcats to ... is even more irritating. I want to be able to read all my tech stuff then switch to all my design stuff then to all my coding stuff etc.

Reeder let me do this like a charm.
  • Did you suggest that to Feedly? It may help.
  • I was trying to transfer but they were over capacity and I don't really use reader any more.

This must be a server technician's nightmare, having to take in all the migrating users of another larger website in a short space of time.
  • Feedly's working out ok. It was forgetting that some items were already viewed for the first few days, and today the iPad app stopped letting me select articles for viewing (WTF) until I kill/restarted the app. Waiting for Reeder!
  • I've been using The Old Reader, and it seems rather nice. A bit basic, but that's really all I need. It feels very similar to Google Reader (at least, in my opinion).
  • edited July 2013
    Welp, Reader's been taken offline. Time to kill myself since every single fucking alternative I've tried is unresponsive as fuck. And I've tried them for a week, and not a single fucking one manages to keep their shit synched properly at fucking all, on top of it taking fucking forever to load one single feed. Meanwhile there's 100 other feeds I'll have to load and read afterwards! Then there's all the terrible keyboard shortcuts being terrible or significantly inferior to Reader. I already miss the days of just hitting space to read every single fucking thing, feed by feed.

Oh, and for fuck's sake. Why the hell shove a piece of shit block at the bottom of the articles list saying there's no more articles. NO SHIT SHERLOCK. I JUST READ THEM ALL. And somehow fixing the retarded crap with a simple userchrome.css edit BREAKS THE FUCKING KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS. ON THE ONE 'ALTERNATIVE' THAT MAKES ME RAGE LEAST. HOW. THE. FUCK. Call me when there's an actual alternative that works to boot!

EDIT: Also, the lot of them look like bloated fucking arse. Reader allowed me to see a ton of updated feeds, everything I tried could only show half that number before failing back on a scrollbar. Fucking terrible design.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Google Listen still lives!
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah, what's up with that? I thought they tried to kill the android app for that months ago.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on