This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX PRIME 2013 4 days of PAX-TRAVAGANZA!

Comments

• edited May 2013
    It's way too late for us to jump on board the PAX Prime wagon this year, but we've got a small group looking into PAX East 2014. It would be our first PAX experience. Though we've been searching through hotel rates, and the price shock is a little much considering we're used to hotels in our local city to run $150/night at most.
    Everyone's always talking about how great PAX is, but is it really worth it if you're not a hardcore gamer and you just play casually? My husband is obsessive, but I am mostly only obsessive on Pokemon, Mass Effect, and the Elder Scrolls and that's about it.
    It's always worth it (especially the first time), though admittedly I have skipped a couple because of finances. Just bought a new car this time, so I'm skipping Prime. If you can snag a hotel through OnPeak when it goes up, it's ~$170-180 a night I think for the Westin. It is difficult to land those rooms though (I only had it for 3 days this last east).

It's very casual friendly and way more relaxed and still professional compared to cons around KC and STL IME. It's the best con I've been to (only other comparable sized ones being stuff like Gencon).
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • [E] should check the forums and head over to the TableTop category for Prime news.
  • Interesting.
  • Quite.

A decision I made previously based on old information now stands to be somewhat incorrect.
  • Well at least I'm in on the info, though it doesn't mean anything to me as I won't be there.
  • I wish to get on the inside tract with [E], it appears that next PAX East will be the time that the game shall be raised.
  • It's been made public.

EVENT HOURS
    Friday, Aug 30th: 10am - 12am
    Saturday, Aug 31st: 10am - 12am
    Sunday, Sep 1st: 10am - 12am
    Monday, Sep 2nd: 10am - 6pm

EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, Aug 30th: 10am - 6pm
    Saturday, Aug 31st: 10am - 6pm
    Sunday, Sep 1st: 10am - 6pm
    Monday, Sep 2nd: 10am - 6pm

Fourt day. Fewer hours per day. So all those people with one-day passes are going to get less PAX for their buck. We will have to find some way to game late into the night. Concerts will start earlier, end earlier, and/or be shorter. Omegathon finale is probably Monday ending at 6pm. So even though we lose 4 hours of gaming on Friday/Saturday late night, PAX is actually 14 hours longer than it was before.
  • I am pretty sure the hotels nearby will allow gaming until whenever, the trick will be getting a table or 2. The Sheraton had the extra room open last year, and I would be willing to bet that they will have it this year as well.
  • Surprise everyone and bring your own table.
  • Surprise everyone and bring your own table.
    >.> I've done that in the past before....long story on that one.
  • Less than three months and yet it seems like I just got back from the last PAX Prime...
  • Less than three months and yet it seems like I just got back from the last PAX Prime...
    I've got two PAXes in three months.
  • Technically 3 if you count PAX Dev.
  • You know what would be smart? To be one of those companies that sells external batters like Anker or Energizer and have a booth at PAX and sell the ever living fuck out of USB external batteries. They would make some mad monies.

I've seen so many nubs sitting next to wall outlets, charging their phones, tablets, handhelds.

Buying that Anker battery was one of the best purchases I could make, especially if you're a con-goer.
  • My Energi is working well.
  • Do you guys mention to have one in your Con Survival guide or whatever?
  • edited June 2013
    I think Sonic was doing some con survival panel. Not at PAX.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Reminds me I need to move the battery from my wishlist to my cart before Prime. Not going to make that mistake again this PAX.
  • It actually is rarely a problem for us, so I didn't think to. We went to MANY cons before smartphones existed: dumb phones would last an entire weekend without charging. ;^)
  • edited June 2013
    Us PAX Prime people already know that the food in the convention center is for losers. At the very least you have to eat at the mall food court.

That rule does have one exception, Juicy Cafe! You know, the place with the juice and rice boxes near the Rock Band stage.

TIL that you can call in your order to the Juicy Cafe and avoid waiting in line. I am 100% taking advantage of that shit. Place order. Play board game. Pick up food. Immediately start another game.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That stuff was okay. I'd rather get a meal though.
  • I haven't eaten at the food mall court in ages. I crave that Indian or Greek food. Oh mans. Let's go there for at least one meal, k?

Also got The Duke today, so expect to play that at Prime.
  • TIL that you can call in your order to the Juicy Cafe and avoid waiting in line. I am 100% taking advantage of that shit.
    This knowledge will demonstrably change my life for the better.
  • I just checked, and it seems like my 3DS charger is the only thing that will require a voltage converter to work properly in Australia. The other devices will work fine with a simple power adapter. I don't want to buy a voltage converter or an Australian 3DS charger...
  • I MIGHT have a spare available. I'll check my stuff.

Also, protip, buy/bring an american power strip. Only need one plug adapter, that way, and you can still do all the stuff that doesn't strictly require a voltage converter at the same time.
  • I MIGHT have a spare available. I'll check my stuff.

Also, protip, buy/bring an american power strip. Only need one plug adapter, that way, and you can still do all the stuff that doesn't strictly require a voltage converter at the same time.
    I am way ahead of you. I already have a small travel power strip. The thing is that the best power adapters on Amazon came in a 3 pack, so I have extras anyway.
  • Oh, that's handy. I normally only buy them one-by-one, even if I'm buying top of the line stuff.
  • edited June 2013
    When I used to have a more regular need for them, I carried single-unit universal adapters, and only ever one, two at most, which I still have. Sturdy as hell, fused, and useful in just about every country that I'd ever end up in. But I'll keep those in mind for other Americans making the trip out here for whatever reason. Well, that, and Amazon won't ship jack shit to me 99% of the time.
    Post edited by Churba on