This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• I can't wait!
    I am in lesbians with that comic so bad!
  • Who wants a Lying Cat t-shirt? On sale in July, probably for SDCC.

• I've been working my way through the Ex Machina deluxe collections and I'm loving this comic. Smart superheroes meets the West Wing. I know Brian K. Vaughan is tearing things up with Saga, but I think Ex Machina is probably better than Y the Last Man. I'm going to have to withhold judgment on Saga, at least for the moment, in comparison to Ex Machina. There just isn't enough of it yet for me to rate them against each other.
  • edited June 2013
    Just in case anyone forgot: Hawkeye is still not only worth reading, it should be required reading to anyone who likes comics at this point, and the most recent Pizza Dog issue is just the fuckin' creme de la creme. If you haven't read it already, you really should try at least the first trade. If I had to drop every underwear pervert comic I was reading right now except for one right this second, this would be the one I would keep buying.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Just in case anyone forgot: Hawkeye is still not only worth reading, it should be required reading to anyone who likes comics at this point, and the most recent Pizza Dog issue is just the fuckin' creme de la creme. If you haven't read it already, you really should try at least the first trade. If I had to drop every underwear pervert comic I was reading right now except for one right this second, this would be the one I would keep buying.
    Really? Is it really that good? People have been raving about Matt Fraction for years, but I can't stand anything of his that I've ever read.
  • edited June 2013
    He's pretty much on a roll right now. He's got a few series going with the whole Marvel NOW thing, all of which are at least decent (Fantastic Four) to pretty darn good (FF), but this feels like the one title where he is really allowed to cut loose and build something that feels special, more like his independent work.

It's got the appeal of a no BS, street-level book without stupid villains or secret acronym organizations, focusing more on Hawkeye and his interactions with the people in his neighbourhood, and how he gets himself into trouble without really trying sometimes. It's built up by an art style that makes it feel like a cool 60s/70s style action or spy movie combined with a neat use of icons, patterns, and experimental panel layouts. The dialogue is often funny and stylized, builds up repeating patterns for the purposes of breaking those patterns in interesting ways as the series goes on (a thing I am a big fan of), and yet the style doesn't get far enough away from the characters to make them feel like they aren't real people. And most importantly, despite all the stylization going on, it all feels fairly low key a lot of the time, which usually keeps it from feeling too try-hard or in your face.

Everyone I talk to who reads it pretty much agrees, it's probably one of the best series he's done to date, if not the best. It's on our staff picks rack at work right next to Saga, Atomic Robo, Scott Pilgrim, and the Adventure Time comic. I'd say even if you don't like Fraction and end up not liking this book for some reason, it's worth at least a try, because it is doing a lot of things that no other superhero book is doing right now.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Saying it's like his indie work is not filling me with confidence since I was thoroughly unimpressed with Five Fists of Science and Casanova.
  • edited June 2013
    Can't help you much if he just isn't your thing, but I will not budge on it being high quality creative work, at least.

EDIT - It would probably help to ask: what don't you like about Fraction, generally?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Can't help you much if he just isn't your thing, but I will not budge on it being high quality creative work, at least.

EDIT - It would probably help to ask: what don't you like about Fraction, generally?
    At this point I don't even remember too many specifics. I remember him being insanely hyped up to be so good. Jonathan Hickman was also hyped up, but he lived up to his hype. When I read Fraction I was like why are people so in love with this? Casanova in particular didn't even make sense.
  • Hawkeye I can at least say makes more sense than Casanova, if only because Marvel requires at least some semblance of a more mainstream storyline in their books. It's probably that Utena TV syndrome at work (or heck, George Lucas syndrome): just enough of the creator's unfiltered style to give the work a strong creative flare, but the creator also has to come up with ways to work within the restrictions of the format or company they're working with. With just the right balance, it results in something even better than the creator might make without any restrictions, or with too many restrictions.

One thing I just thought of that appeals to me about this series is that it starts out kind of episodic feeling, like each issue is its own stand-alone thing in an action-spy serial, and they're each satisfying in their own right on just that pulpy, pure entertainment level. It isn't until a few issues in (maybe around issue 6 or so, give or take) that you realize stuff is building up to form a longer overarching story, and you realize you're already invested in it because you've gotten used to the ancillary things that have been recurring in each issue. It's a much more organic way to build a superhero story than the typical "Oh shit son, we have to stop the B.L.A.H. Organization!" or "Your mission today is to take on the Agents of W.H.O.C.A.R.E.S. and discover their hideout and evil plans."

A major recurring villain group does come in eventually, but they aren't supervillains, and they don't become involved in Hawkeye's story because he's a superhero and he's contractually obligated to fight them. They become involved because Hawkeye stumbles into them the wrong way while standing up for his principles, and stuff just kind of builds and compounds on other stuff from there with a focus on whether what Hawkeye is doing is right or not, the mistakes he makes as a person, the people he gets involved with, how he functions day-to-day, the effects his actions have on others, etc. Just great character-driven storytelling that is supported by kick-ass art and layouts that give a unique flavour to his world. And arrows. Lots of arrows.
  • People have already mentioned here, but I really liked Saga. I also picked up "Superman Birthright" and "Superman All Star" both pretty good as well.
  • edited July 2013
    'Hawkeye' and 'Saga' Lead The 2013 Harvey Awards Nominations

Just sayin'.

Also yeeeeeah hoping Nimona wins for best online work~
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I don't know if Steve Ditko's new comics are worth reading but this essay about Steve Ditko's new comics sure is.
  • Just finished Punkrock Jesus, liked it, a lot.
  • Gosh, those Hawkeye covers are so good. I have heard so many positive things about the series, and the few pages I read basically addressed the very reason I didn't previously like Hawkeye. (Arrow shooting is cool, but if you are going to be hanging around with gods, you are so under-powered.) I am game to try this one.
  • Finished Sweet Tooth, lots of exposition at points, but a good read.
  • I am thinking o biting the bullet an subscribe for Marvel-Netflixesque app so I can read some of those comics that I heard that are good.
    Has anyone tried it?
  • Finally got around to reading all 6 issues of The Lookouts. Man that stuff is great. It definitely makes me wanting to know more about the world and the lore. I especially enjoy the extra stuff at the end where they go into detail about all the different badges and levels each Lookout can achieve.

I am looking forward to reading more as it comes out.
  • I recently got and read The Contract With God Trilogy. Holy shit that book. I need more works like that in my life. The Dropsie Avenue book was especially fantastic.
  • I recently got and read The Contract With God Trilogy. Holy shit that book. I need more works like that in my life. The Dropsie Avenue book was especially fantastic.
    You've ridden the tallest roller coaster in comics. Most other comics ever made are going to be at best meh in comparison. The only things that even come close are Watchmen, Akira, Phoenix, and Buddha. Even Eisner himself did not make another comic as great as that.
  • edited August 2013
    I recently got and read The Contract With God Trilogy. Holy shit that book. I need more works like that in my life. The Dropsie Avenue book was especially fantastic.
    I reread this early in the year and forgot how freaking amazing it was.

I'm deciding between "The Killing Joke" or the "Gotham Central" series next.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • One of the many podcasts that I listened to had an interesting discussion on the area in which comic books are located when it comes to literature. Take a listen if you are so inclined.
    You've ridden the tallest roller coaster in comics. Most other comics ever made are going to be at best meh in comparison. The only things that even come close are Watchmen, Akira, Phoenix, and Buddha. Even Eisner himself did not make another comic as great as that.
    I would also personally make a strong argument for Daytripper. Damn near made me cry at the end of it. I have Watchmen and Akira, but I should probably get on Buddha before it becomes as hard to find as Phoenix. In print form anyway.
    I personally liked "A Life Force" the most between the three. It is definitely not as epic as "Dropsie Avenue" though. I liked that it is mostly focus during "The great depression" which I think it was a fascinating period of time in United States history.

I would totally recommend Buddha, and Phoenix. Now, if you have the time I would totally try to hunt the Astroboy comics.
  • Apparently I missed Saga #13 being released last month. The comiXology app should give notifications of comics being released from your purchase history.

New races brought up into the mix, yet again. Can't wait for the new character from Alana's past in the next issue.
  • I will wait for the next TPB