This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - The Levels of Protecting Your Privacy

edited July 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, in light of recent non-revelations about the activities of the NSA, we discuss how you can protect yourself, your associations, and your communication. It comes down to the levels of inconvenience with which you are willing to deal. But first, Rym reviews Citibike in New York, and how quickmeme was taken out.

Level 1

Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5
  • GPG Voip
Level 6 Level 7
  • Burner Laptops
  • Ridiculous Spy Bullshit
  • Preternatural Forethought
Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I like how the show notes got fucked up such that level 7 privacy includes Star Wars x Pocky.
  • If he can't get out of Russia before winter, looks like he'll be...
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    Snowden.

YEEEEAAAAAAAA
  • That quickmeme article reads like an episode of some daytime crime show. Awesome.
  • That you guys think the lowest gear on my hub gear bike is just for hills, you're missing one of the main reasons I prefer hug gears to derailleur gears.
  • And if you think Citi Bike hub gears are in any way representative of the hub gear on my bike... you're just wrong.
  • edited July 2013
    I spent two days in the city last weekend and tried Citi Bike for pretty much nothing but shits and giggles on Saturday morning, since it was ass early on the weekend, the NJTransit bus that stops in front of my house got there in record time. I am by NO means a "bike guy" so I am keenly aware of the many ways I can get myself killed biking around in NYC, but I really wanted to try it, so what better time than 7:30AM on a Saturday? Deserted island.

I can pretty much confirm everything that Rym said, BUT as someone who does not have a magic bike, I thought the Citi Bike was a pretty serviceable option and am pretty impressed by the overall service. I also understand why you NYC-dwellers embrace the bike culture. It's a fantastic way to get around the city. Now that I know I can handle it without killing myself, I will consider it again in the future if I need it (but $10 for 30 min as a non-subscriber is a big hurdle now that the novelty factor is gone).

On the topic of NYC mayor... I am much more plugged into this race that I would be if there was not amazing potential for ridiculous Weiner headlines. "Weiner unexpectedly pulls out ahead." Is it really that crazy though to think the Democrats are a lock to win, when NYC hasn't had a democratic mayor in 20 years? I do not know much about NYC politics, but in theory, I like the idea of a party split between executive and legislative branches (when it doesn't result in immature gridlock like our federal gov't). The past 20 years have been rather good for NYC, so it's not a stretch to say a large portion of the population will make that same anecdotal observation and not want one viewpoint to run away with all the power. Besides, it's not like NYC republicans are Texas republicans.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • It's not $10 for 30 minutes. It's ten dollars for an entire day, but you can only take a bike for 30 minutes at a time. You can bike for 24 hours if you manage to dock and undock the bike every half hour.
  • The trouble is that with their weight, gearing, and slowness, you wouldn't want to. They're basically good for extending your walking range and getting between to places where you would otherwise walk faster, but are ridiculously slower than even a cheapo mountain bike.
  • It's not $10 for 30 minutes. It's ten dollars for an entire day, but you can only take a bike for 30 minutes at a time. You can bike for 24 hours if you manage to dock and undock the bike every half hour.
    D'oh, yeah I knew this fact right up until about 7:45AM today when I started typing.
  • I've been using the Gamestop USB charger for my 3DS/DSiXL for a while now. It's great to use with my external battery at the conventions and long outings.
  • Holy crap, thanks for reminding me of the P-P-P-Powerbook. Haven't thought about that in about... eight years.
  • edited July 2013
    I've been using the Gamestop USB charger for my 3DS/DSiXL for a while now. It's great to use with my external battery at the conventions and long outings.
    I have a 12v 10Ah scooter battery in a bag hooked up to a car usb charger. I'll never need an outlet at a convention (for my phone, at least).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Listened to this last night.

It's good listening because I suddenly got that uncomfortable feeling that I was listening to "terror hacker training 101". And then I started to wonder who could find out I was listening to this. And then I realised I've got to care about who monitors what and to what extent a little more than I currently do.
  • As soon as you started talking about level one I thought "But what about key loggers?" and then you went there about a minute later. Level zero is no malware!
  • As soon as you started talking about level one I thought "But what about key loggers?" and then you went there about a minute later. Level zero is no malware!
    Level zero can't be stressed enough!

1. Don't install bullshit warez.
    2. Any of you who think you can identify non-bullshit warez are probably wrong.
    3. Don't install bullshit warez.

• Not to be tin-foil-hat crazy but, if the NSA, or pick any other three lettered agency of your choice, has worked with MS to build in vulnerabilities into our OSes then even level 0 can't really be enforced. We are still implicitly trusting that MS has secured our OS against everyone. Or Adobe, or Valve, or any given innocuous piece of software no one really thought of.

I'm most assuredly not accusing MS, or any one else, of doing such, just musing aloud that in all of this we have a much larger circle of trust than it would at first seem and that I am unsure that anyone could be completely certain that they are completely hidden.
  • Not as much as you might think.

The OS is under a lot of scrutiny. Egress monitoring makes it highly unlikely, and people would notice quickly. A lot of actually paranoid people are constantly watching for the first sign of trouble.
  • edited July 2013
    Relevant article I listened to this morning: Tools To Help You Hide Online Raise The Ire Of Advertisers

I laughed so hard when they mentioned how it worries online advertisers and how they say it's going to threaten the economy. It's in the audio version and not really in the written article.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Would you crowd fund an encrypted messenger app for your phone?
    Hmm... Given that the site doesn't even have a valid security cert, I wonder how much I'd trust 'em.
    Hmm... Given that the site doesn't even have a valid security cert, I wonder how much I'd trust 'em.
    My browser sees it as valid. Also, I paid via PayPal which is valid.
    Which browser? Firefox doesn't seem to like it.
    Which browser? Firefox doesn't seem to like it.
    Chrome.

• Which browser? Firefox doesn't seem to like it.
    Chrome.
    Hmm, makes sense then. Firefox tends to be a bit more picky about its trusted CAs than Chrome is. Firefox uses its own internal list whereas Chrome uses whatever list ships with the OS (so the same list that IE uses on Windows, Safari on Mac, etc.).

• Which browser? Firefox doesn't seem to like it.
    Chrome.
    Hmm, makes sense then. Firefox tends to be a bit more picky about its trusted CAs than Chrome is. Firefox uses its own internal list whereas Chrome uses whatever list ships with the OS (so the same list that IE uses on Windows, Safari on Mac, etc.).
    I was on Chome and at first it was not secure, later it was secure, it might be in the process of being authenticated.
  • I say go to level 3 since it seems to have the best cost/benefit ratio. Even though they say that they'll definitely save encrypted stuff, they're saving pretty much everything else anyway so you might as well make them work for it and the more people that do that the better. That is, until they try to make it illegal but I don't think they want to open up that can of worms.