This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Disney

Comments

• While we're at it, Aladdin was a middle eastern tale, and it was cast as such, and people constantly complain about how it is full of Arab stereotypes. I am 100% sure Disney can't win, whether they use white heroines or not.
    Here in the UK Aladdin is performed regularly on stage at Christmas as it's a traditional pantomime. It's always been set in China whenever I've seen it performed. Still a great movie though.
  • While we're at it, Aladdin was a middle eastern tale, and it was cast as such, and people constantly complain about how it is full of Arab stereotypes. I am 100% sure Disney can't win, whether they use white heroines or not.
    Here in the UK Aladdin is performed regularly on stage at Christmas as it's a traditional pantomime. It's always been set in China whenever I've seen it performed. Still a great movie though.
    The original story is actually set in China but it is a Middle Eastern folk tale.
  • How was Aladdin racist? I'm not familiar with pre-9/11 racism regarding Middle Easterners.
  • Please pay no attention to me. I am in no way a racist stereotype.

At least, I'm not worse than anything you will see in Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
  • How was Aladdin racist? I'm not familiar with pre-9/11 racism regarding Middle Easterners.
    One of the original lyrics in "Arabian Nights" was "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face". Obviously people had some issues with that, so it was changed to "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense" for all releases from the DVD release and on.

• Aladdin was offensive more in the fact that it had the trappings of an Arabian/Persian culture, but the characters basically acted and spoke in all ways like Americans. Aladdin was a Zach Morris.
  • Aladdin was offensive more in the fact that it had the trappings of an Arabian/Persian culture
    Well, Arabic/Persian culture as interpreted by the works of Al Hirschfeld.

• Aladdin was offensive more in the fact that it had the trappings of an Arabian/Persian culture
    That's a muslim name, right? Like Al-Rashid.
    That's a muslim name, right? Like Al-Rashid.
    Not going to lie, I lol'd.

• In Lady and the Tramp I don't think any two dogs shared an accent. The two cats on the other hand...
  • In Lady and the Tramp I don't think any two dogs shared an accent. The two cats on the other hand...
    To be fair, the bulldog was British, Jock the Scottish Terrier had a Scottish accent, and Trusty the bloodhound was Southern.

• I wasn't that impressed with Brave. It wasn't that I didn't like it but beforehand I just thought it would be more epic somehow. I liked what was there, but it sort of felt like it was missing its middle or something. Tangled, on the other hand, I really liked and had a lot more of that adventurey feeling than Brave did.

On a more general note, I wish Disney would make more high quality 2D animated movies.
  • I wasn't that impressed with Brave. It wasn't that I didn't like it but beforehand I just thought it would be more epic somehow. I liked what was there, but it sort of felt like it was missing its middle or something. Tangled, on the other hand, I really liked and had a lot more of that adventurey feeling than Brave did.

On a more general note, I wish Disney would make more high quality 2D animated movies.
    The problem is that both Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh both underperformed (in Disney's eyes). Of course, Princess and the Frog came out around the same time that Avatar was making all of the money ever, and Winnie the Pooh was released literally the same day as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, so it was kind of doomed from the start.

I definitely want more 2D animation from them, but the fact that they fired most of their old guard of 2D animators recently, the prospect is not looking good. :(

• I'm not going to say my problems with Brave (though, if you missed them, just let it be known that I summarized the entire movie into three youtube videos, and added depth by doing so), but I didn't truly hate it until it won the Oscar. Jokes on them, though, because they didn't get endorement form Mel Brooks.

Atheists: 0
    Christians: 0
    Wreck-It Ralph: 1
  • I'm not going to say my problems with Brave (though, if you missed them, just let it be known that I summarized the entire movie into three youtube videos, and added depth by doing so), but I didn't truly hate it until it won the Oscar. Jokes on them, though, because they didn't get endorement form Mel Brooks.

I really, really loved Brave and I still think Wreck-it Ralph should have won. It was an all-together tighter and more consistent movie.
  • edited July 2013
    I..., but I didn't truly hate it until it won the Oscar...
    That's not really Brave's fault. The accademy would probably rather run their collective dicks over a cheese grater before they would give an Oscar to a movie about (shudder) Video Games (crosses self and spits).
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • This is currently my only gripe at the moment with Frozen and over 90% of Disney 'heroines' being of the Caucasian persuasion.
    More like 60%, but yeah.
  • 0%. Last time I checked, the Caucases weren't in Germany, France, China, unspecified Arabia, Virginia, New Orleans, or the Atlantic Ocean (in Ariel's case).
  • *Caucasus. I cannot into spelling.

I really, really loved Brave and I still think Wreck-it Ralph should have won. It was an all-together tighter and more consistent movie.
    I think Paranorman should have won.
  • Paranorman didn't have a chance simply because too few movie buff types saw it.
  • edited July 2013
    Disney and Pixar films aren't engaging me like they once did. Many fall flat because they rely too heavily on fart jokes or referential humor. Others that try to tell an actual story fall prey to a lot of sexist and racist stereotypes (as they always have, I am just more sensitive to it now). I enjoyed Brave, though it did have it's shortcomings and I loved the crud out of the Pixar shorts.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on

I feel like ParaNorman and Wreck-it Ralph covered a lot of the same ground message-wise, but that WiR did it better (but only by the skin of it's teeth, because ParaNorman was amazing).
  • edited July 2013
    I'm not going to say my problems with Brave (though, if you missed them, just let it be known that I summarized the entire movie into three youtube videos, and added depth by doing so), but I didn't truly hate it until it won the Oscar. Jokes on them, though, because they didn't get endorement form Mel Brooks.

I feel like ParaNorman and Wreck-it Ralph covered a lot of the same ground message-wise, but that WiR did it better (but only by the skin of it's teeth, because ParaNorman was amazing).
    I score Ralph a point down because of Vanellope. ^_^
    Post edited by zeo1fan on
  • Wreck-It Ralph and The Pirates (Also a great movie, filled with that classic Aardman wit and visual gigs) were both superior to Brave. Ralph was my favorite, just because it really hit me with the video game appeal, the constant shifts in styles, the voice casting, and I did feel emotional because of the characters and message. Brave treaded on too much familiar ground and aside from the visuals, does absolutely nothing new.
    The problem is that both Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh both underperformed (in Disney's eyes). Of course, Princess and the Frog came out around the same time that Avatar was making all of the money ever, and Winnie the Pooh was released literally the same day as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, so it was kind of doomed from the start.
    Winnie The Pooh was so sadly a case of incredibly bad counter-marketing. They saw it against Harry Potter and Transformers 3...but the release was so limited compared to those that it was going to get buried no matter what, and those are two mega-hit-frachises. They should have waited to release it in March or Fall.

Princess and the Frog really deserved so much more money and love. It was actually out 3 weeks before Avatar, so that doesn't really get in the way and there weren't too many big movies out until that. That is one case where I'd want to back hand the casual-movie going audience for relying on franchises to expect the same level of crap. Ice Age 3 was the 3rd highest grossing movie that year, primarily because of a strangely large worldwide gross.
  • release it in March or Fall.
    Yeah, the fact that they released it in the Summer made it felt like they were trying to doom it to fail from the beginning.

• I think Paranorman should have won.
  • edited July 2013
    Tom Hanks as Walt Disney is absolute perfection:
    http://on.aol.com/video/saving-mr--banks---trailer-no--1-517851904
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Tom Hanks as Walt Disney is absolute perfection:
    http://on.aol.com/video/saving-mr--banks---trailer-no--1-517851904
    Now place your bets on when we are going to see him urinate in this film. I call at the 32:15 mark.