This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Just one from me: You can run any ICE, even without a breaker and just suffer the sub routines.

You do NOT have to match it's strength or even have the correct breaker.

If it ends the run, then you get booted out. But if it doesn't end the run, suffer the subroutines and keep on going :)

That was my noob mistake.
  • Just one from me: You can run any ICE, even without a breaker and just suffer the sub routines.

You do NOT have to match it's strength or even have the correct breaker.

If it ends the run, then you get booted out. But if it doesn't end the run, suffer the subroutines and keep on going :)

That was my noob mistake.
    That's not a tip, that's just not knowing the rules of the game. I guess you could consider that a tip for every game ever. Learn the fucking rules.

Here's a real Netrunner tip. Do not make decks. Play the standard decks tens of times before even attempting to construct a deck. Using a custom deck or trying to make one before you have really figured out how to play the game is very dumb. It's like buying a really expensive DSLR and leaving it in auto mode because you don't know how to use it. Or maybe it's like buying very expensive golf clubs after only going golfing one time.

I've tested out tournament winning decks and have had minimal success with them. Unless your deck is really broken bad, how you play matters more than the cards you have.
  • Since this is still a new game, is there any holy grail of noob mistakes? I just have bought the base game and I am trying to get my local gaming crew in on it. Luckily for me, there is a meetup in my home city. I live in a city in Canada that has only 220,000 people and is hours from another major center. I searched board game geeks and found this article

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/894585/practices-to-help-beginner-corporations

Is that the relevant and true? Any other good tips and pointers?
    One think I can say to avoid (I have seen it done a few times), is remember that playing cards and scoring agendas happen on your turn when you are the Corp. Oversight AI is one of the cards I have seen people make this mistake with. You can't spend your clicks mid-run either, so no Magnum Opus to boost you while you are running.

• Oh yeah, the most important thing in Netrunner is not forgetting anything. There are lots and lots of cards and things out on the table that all do stuff. Do not forget any of them.

Do not forget to take a credit for your PAD Campaigns. Do not forget to fill datasuckers. Do not forget to take a credit for desperado. Do not forget to take credits as Gabe. Do not forget to use recurring credits that are available. Do not forget bad publicity. Do not forget to spend your credits to rez things before account siphon/vamp hit you in the face. Do not forget to rez your encryption protocols at the right time. Do not forget to keep four credits for snare. Do not forget that you scored a Nisei and can end the run. Do not forget you scored a Government Contracts, and can take 4 credits with two clicks.

Remembering all the little things will win you many games. Forgetting even a little bit will lose you many games. Every credit matters.
  • edited June 2013
    I dunno Scott, that seems too obvious to be advice. ^_^ but I agree.
    I would say: always apply pressure. No matter which side you play, there's usually going to be a bottleneck, often money. As a runner, you want to make corp pay for ice. Even if it means naked run, which leads me to:
    remember ice and what they do. This way, you always have a sense of how bad someone can fuck you up on a naked run and when the risk is worthwhile.
    Or, make runs intended to allow the corp to rez ice and use up their money, with the intent of hitting another server which they no longer can afford to rez.
    Protip: generally avoid last click runs.
    If HQ or R&D have no ice or corp cannot rez ice, run it. That extra knowledge is useful in predicting corp's play. And it's free.
    Also, as a runner, you need not build an insane ice breaking money consuming machine to win.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Thanks for all the advice. I will hopefully be able to elevate our little board games group level of play and then see if anyone wants to take the plunge.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm going to make/upload some more Netrunner videos soon. Should I create some sort of brand for this "show"? What should it be? Running with Scott is not so great. A lot of the clever names are already taken.

I'm thinking Private Scott Force.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Scott Bioroid
    Scotteki
    Scottrunner
  • Front Runner Crew?
  • OMG WINNAR.
  • OMG WINNAR.
    What can I say? It's a gift ;)

• Cracking the Ice: A Hacker Handbook to Netrunner
  • haha! I really like the idea. I think your personal workshop video was really well done & helpful. It's also a lot more interesting than watching a bunch of that-guys muttering over their games.
  • They just announced Spin Cycle 3 - Mala Tempora. Holy shit these cards.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4220

City Surveillance! GAME OVER

• I really want to play an economy denial deck with Reina. Forget all that Caissa nonsense. Just run Xanadu, Account Siphon, Vamp, etc. No money 4 u corp man!
  • edited June 2013
    Jesus City Surveillance is so dirty.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • coolstuffinc is having a big 4th of July sale. They had Tzolk'in for cheap, but sold out (of course). But they still have these cool Netrunner replacement tokens on sale.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1465

I've seen a few people use them. I would get them, but I really want my token set to be unique.
  • Google trends of Netrunner:

• Doesn't look big in AUS. However, I have been informed of a tournament the week after PAX AUS in Melbourne. Will probably hit it up.
  • How are tournaments? I have never been and I probably will never go to one except the one at the local flgs. Swiss is alright, does the prestige format favour some kind of decks?
  • How are tournaments? I have never been and I probably will never go to one except the one at the local flgs. Swiss is alright, does the prestige format favour some kind of decks?
    The prestige format favors you if you score more agenda points. It doesn't matter too much because winning is what matters most. If you want to win a tournament, you need a lot of 6es, which means you win both games against the same opponent. So in the end, the winner is someone who wins games, and the points end up no mattering as much. The winner is the same person who would have won in straight swiss or single elimination (if you have a finals).

What it does matter for is the rankings of the other players. If there are prizes that stretch down the rankings, then the point systems will matter quite a bit. People who score more agenda points will have an advantage.

For example. In one tournament I won exactly half of my games, but only won 1 out of 4 matches. Each opponent I faced I won one game, and lost one game. So we were relatively even across the board. But, in the games I lost, I did not score many agenda points. Thus, I got 2 prestige in 3 matches, and 4 prestige only once for a score of 10. If I had scored more points in the games I lost, even if I had still lost, I could have had a score of up to 16. That would have moved me far up the rankings, perhaps even near the top 8 prize payout.

Decks that are favored are decks that win. If you win, nothing else matters. But you are also slightly favored if you have a deck that scores many points on the chance that it loses. You see a lot of HB fast advance decks winning tournaments lately. I think part of it is that they are almost impossible to stop from scoring 4-6. And if you can't pressure R+D very hard, you can't beat them. You also see a lot of Criminal wins because their early pressure always steals points.
  • My running has been shit lately. Just came up with a new deck while at work that I'm excited about and can't wait to play.

Demolition Girl (45 cards)

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Event (13)
    2 Demolition Run
    3 Diesel
    3 Modded
    3 Test Run
    2 Tinkering

Hardware (18)
    3 Cyberfeeder
    2 Dinosaurus
    3 HQ Interface
    2 Plascrete Carapace
    3 R&D Interface
    2 Replicator
    3 The Personal Touch

Resource (2)
    2 Inside Man

Icebreaker (9)
    1 Crypsis
    2 Femme Fatale
    3 Gordian Blade
    3 Snowball

Program (3)
    3 Magnum Opus

This deck combines 3 things really elegantly.

1) It is the standard shaper 3-breaker deck with an MO that I'm used to playing. It even has two Tinkering and one Crypsis for some early aggression.

2) It has the replicator hardware combo with inside man. Get lots of hardware on the table fast, thin the deck to make drawing cards even better.

3) Demolition Run + Interfaces

The top corp decks these days are HB Fast Advance and Weyland Tag+Bag. I was trying to come up with an idea to counter both of these decks. I realized the weakness of both of these decks is that players hold a lot of cards in their hand. HB holds biotic labor and trick of light. Weyland holds scorched earth, midseason replacements, and SEA Source. If I can demo run HQ I can throw all those cards in the trash and dismantle everything. Even if they play archived memories, it should be devastating enough to really turn the game around.

It's also great how the hardware replicator really synergizes with both ideas. Personal touch and cyberfeeder dinosaurus go well with the typical shaper breaker suite. R+D Interface and HQ Interface go with the demo run.

I have good feelings about this, but we'll see how it actually plays.
  • I managed to play one game with a friend of mine but neither of us knew what we were doing. I plan to watch some of the tournament at ConnectiCon and maybe learn from it. I would go to the panel but it's scheduled against my own. :/
  • Are Weyland and Hb leagues above Jintekie or NBN? Or is it a small level of power that only matters at the 99th percentile.
  • I managed to play one game with a friend of mine but neither of us knew what we were doing. I plan to watch some of the tournament at ConnectiCon and maybe learn from it. I would go to the panel but it's scheduled against my own. :/
    The tutorial video show all of the basics, and makes the rule book easier to digest.

• Are Weyland and Hb leagues above Jintekie or NBN? Or is it a small level of power that only matters at the 99th percentile.
    I believe the current tiering puts Haas-Bioroid at the top, followed by Wayland, NBN, and Jinteki in that order. But nobody's really good at this game yet, so that hasn't cemented. There's no real equivalent to Red Deck Wins yet, so the game's pretty fluid.
  • edited July 2013
    Are Weyland and Hb leagues above Jintekie or NBN? Or is it a small level of power that only matters at the 99th percentile.
    It's not that HB is better, it's that HB Fast Advance is incredibly strong. Because they have more 3/2 agendas and biotic labor, and they can splash trick of light or sansan, they are able to score agendas out of hand. That is known as fast advance. So the only way to really beat that deck is to dig deep in R+D, but they can counter by power drawing to get the agendas in hand.

Weyland is also of course strong with the scorched earth. It really prevents you from being aggressive and trying to take agendas when they can just hit you with SEA Source or the new Midseason Replacements. They can also force you into a catch-22 by advancing a Posted Bounty. You gon' get tagged whether you take this or not.

The only defense you have against Weyland is to install plascrete carapace, keep a lot of cards in your hand, and make sure you have way more money than they do. If you do all those three things, you can safely take their agendas without getting scorched after the run.

If you watch the NYC regionals final video you can see the runner is always counting his credits so that it's impossible for Weyland to hit him with SEA Source after the run.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Alright cool, that is a good response. Your youtube account had those games and that is cool. Pillar of Community.
  • If you get crazy/plan way far ahead of time with the right HB deck, you can pull some crazy shit. By a combination of Trick of Light, Ice Wall, Project Vitruvius, and Biotic Labor, I was able to install and fully advance a Mandatory Upgrades (requires 6) in one turn. That was a fun game.
  • If you get crazy/plan way far ahead of time with the right HB deck, you can pull some crazy shit. By a combination of Trick of Light, Ice Wall, Project Vitruvius, and Biotic Labor, I was able to install and fully advance a Mandatory Upgrades (requires 6) in one turn. That was a fun game.
    I've seen it happen, but never against a decent opponent. Nobody good will let you get away with that.