This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Windows open because it's hella hot. I can hear, with perfect clarity, my neighbors having sex. I can also hear the spankings.

damn, y'all
  • I saw a seagull slap a magpie with its web foot.
  • http://m.nbcnews.com/science/tag/wii-u

Why does NBC have a 'Wii U' tag in their science news?
  • I've been trying out different browsers recently. Chrome doesn't seem to have any benefits at the moment. Safari is pretty quick, and the synching of tabs between my MacBook and iPhone is a killer feature. I think I might switch back to Firefox though, because although Safari has all the extension I like, there are a few tiny things that Firefox does better. It's hardly worth listing them though, as they are all purely due to my own likes and preferences, and not that Safari does something wrong and Firefox right.
  • My receipt says 22oz fountain drink but the cups say 21 oz on them. Who do I sue???
    Everyone
  • Someone made a tumblr specifically chronicling all the RAGE that Swimming Anime is producing.
    This makes me want to watch the show.
  • So I've finally gotten tired of working for a company that seems to be going nowhere and I'm aiming for Amazon. Looks like I get to brush up on all those things I learned in college 5+ years ago and have forgotten since.
  • Was listening to the old GeekNights episode about being jaded just now and heard Rym use the phrase "the crazier you are, the less Diggs you get." Wow that threw me back so hard I think my neck broke.
  • edited July 2013
    On Friday, Bay Area Fox affiliate KTVU told viewers the purported names of the pilots on Asiana Flight 214.

The problem was that the names — "Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk" and "Bang Ding Ow" — were obviously fake. The news anchor read the names off the teleprompter and didn't bat an eye, adding that the information had been confirmed by the National Transportation Safety Board.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3588569?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1230303,b=facebook
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Sitting around, browsing from the beach. It's pretty damned nice up here.
  • edited July 2013
    On Friday, Bay Area Fox affiliate KTVU told viewers the purported names of the pilots on Asiana Flight 214.

The problem was that the names — "Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk" and "Bang Ding Ow" — were obviously fake. The news anchor read the names off the teleprompter and didn't bat an eye, adding that the information had been confirmed by the National Transportation Safety Board.
    The one question I have about this, other than what idiot was in charge of screening calls at the TV station, is whether the prankster in question was just pulling a Bart Simpson calling Moe's Tavern sort of prank ("Hello, may I speak to Jacques Strappe, please?") or whether he/she was actually a racist jackass.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I feel like the anchors not realizing that they were joke names was more racist than the names themselves, and I'm pretty sure it was probably just a Bart Simpson prank anyway.
  • The fact is that they called the National Transportation Safety Board and were told they were the correct names. In this case, the news organization did cover their backs as far as fact checking... but yeah, it makes me wonder how it slipped through the most common bullshit detector.
  • I had two giggle fits at the dinner table this evening. Giggle fit the first: I was doing a mid-term for an online course before and after dinner so I sat down to the dinner table and, expressing my frustration, said, "This is shitty." My mom thought I was talking about the food and said, "Excuse me?" Giggle fit the second: My dad used the word "moray." I asked, "What's a moray?" and then proceeded to answer my own question by singing, "That's Amoré."
  • I wonder how difficult it would be to make a peer-to-peer encrypted chat application based off of bittorrent sync. I mean really all you would need would to have a couple of one-way secrets that modify a text file or two and display it as a chat log.
  • edited July 2013
    Giggle fit the second: My dad used the word "moray." I asked, "What's a moray?" and then proceeded to answer my own question by singing, "That's Amoré."
    I really thought this joke was hilarious. Am I the only one?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I wonder how difficult it would be to make a peer-to-peer encrypted chat application based off of bittorrent sync. I mean really all you would need would to have a couple of one-way secrets that modify a text file or two and display it as a chat log.
    Why complicate it by using the bittorrent protocol? Encrypted chat is easy enough to make, and there's plenty of them out there already.
  • To expand upon that, bittorrent is designed to send large files in chunks, safely and wholly. Chat works best with constant updates (Seeing what the other person is typing as he's typing it) or as a per message basis. You want these to be delivered as quick as possible. The messages are also way too small to make good use of bittorrent. Lastly, you'd have to keep the other side updated with "things to expect". Keeping all parties up to date would cost as much effort as simply sending the messages.

All that said, it would probably not be hard to set up. Just a little inefficient.
  • For the next Presidential election, I won't vote for a candidate from either major party.
  • edited July 2013
    For the next Presidential election, I won't vote for a candidate from either major party.
    So you will be voting Republican? (Rimshot)
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • For the next Presidential election, I won't vote for a candidate from either major party.
    So you will be voting Republican? (Rimshot)
    Heh, cute. :P

Actually, I'll probably end up just writing myself in (I guess I need to vote for somebody for the office) as the vast majority of so-called third parties are at least as nuts, if not crazier, than the mainstream ones. At least in my case, I agree 100% with where I stand in the issues.
  • Who voted third party last election? This guy.
  • edited July 2013
    Please don't write people in (unless it's a serious campaign) all write ins do is cause Poll workers to hang around longer on an already long day :-p

Pick none of the above or undervote (I.E. don't vote for that particular office while still voting).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Please don't write people in (unless it's a serious campaign) all write ins do is cause Poll workers to hang around longer on an already long day :-p

Pick none of the above or undervote (I.E. don't vote for that particular office while still voting).
    Good point... Undervoting is probably the way to go I guess in this case. The whole "write myself in" thing is just to shut people up who say, "you have to vote for somebody, you can't just leave it blank."
  • My hat and coat for my Inquisitor costume came today :)
  • The whole "write myself in" thing is just to shut people up who say, "you have to vote for somebody, you can't just leave it blank."
    Those people are stupid. Shut them up by not talking to them. You should never vote for anyone you haven't done at least preliminary research on. If that means leaving a race blank, so be it. Better than picking someone you don't know anything about because of superficial things.

• edited July 2013
    Those people are stupid. Shut them up by not talking to them. You should never vote for anyone you haven't done at least preliminary research on. If that means leaving a race blank, so be it. Better than picking someone you don't know anything about because of superficial things.
    Oh, I agree completely... Voting may be a civic duty, but only if you're a knowledgeable voter. Of course, then comes the argument that, "you know all about the candidates in question, so pick the one you like the most/hate the least." I mean, it's one thing if you leave the ballot blank when it comes to voting for the town dogcatcher who lacks a website and who wasn't covered in any of the local news outlets. It's another thing when you're voting for President and have oodles of information accessible about the candidates, even third party ones. In that case, leaving the ballot blank is less a refusal to make an uninformed decision and more a protest that all the decisions suck.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I still note, that I didn't vote in the 2000 election. I thought at the time that Gore and Bush were pretty much the same, and I'm pretty sure we had an extra war because of that election. I still feel bad to this day.
  • Who voted third party last election? This guy.
    I did by proxy. Convinced dad to vote for Jill Stein instead of Obama on the grounds that she was closest to his (my dad's) platforms, and a Presidential vote from MA didn't matter.
    I still note, that I didn't vote in the 2000 election. I thought at the time that Gore and Bush were pretty much the same, and I'm pretty sure we had an extra war because of that election. I still feel bad to this day.
    Don't, unless you were voting in Florida, Ohio, etc. (what even were the swing states that year?) jtvh voted Nader with no regrets -- MA was deadlocked Democrat and that was the basis for her vote.
    Actually, I'll probably end up just writing myself in (I guess I need to vote for somebody for the office) as the vast majority of so-called third parties are at least as nuts, if not crazier, than the mainstream ones. At least in my case, I agree 100% with where I stand in the issues.
    No love for the Ghost of William Jennings Bryan? He'd be my go to protest vote. Either him or Donald Duck. I know the Swedes love voting for Donald, and IIRC he's fairly popular in Finland too (though, when I went looking for Finnish protest votes regarding the famous duck, I could only find a false rumor that he was banned in the country).
  • I probably would have voted for Gary Johnson if it weren't for that whole getting rid of the Department of Education and random other crazy things that libertarians tend to say. Still better than Ron Paul though.