This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you read magazines?

edited July 2013 in Everything Else
I'm really curious to know if anyone on this forum reads magazines. If so, do you prefer any particular subjects (i.e. tech, beauty, etc.) that magazines cover?

Comments

• Just naughty subjects and Cat Fancy.
  • I like Nylon and will pick it up in the supermarket while waiting in line, but I never buy it.
  • I read 2600 on my Kindle.
  • Like a physical magazine?
  • I just finished reading a magazine. It said: "Made in germany" and ".22 Long Rifle" and "Patent Pending". A very informative read, but it could have done with some more editorials.
    /joke

I still get a magazine or two every month from gift subscriptions and such. I'll read an article here and there but if i want getting them for free, I wouldn't bother.
  • Only one. I subscribe to Time Out New York, which is a weekly magazine that focuses mostly on local events and things to do. I like ~40 min from NYC and spend a good deal of my weekends there, so I'm well past they typical tourist stuff.

I actually found out about NerdNYC from an issue of Time Out New York in 2009, at the same time as I was planning my first trip to PAX, the combination of which caused me to discover Geeknights, meet Rym and Scott, and wind up here.

When I worked for Wired as a side-job from 2011-2012 I felt an odd obligation to get the magazine. It was $10 for a year and there was always the minute chance that a post that I wrote, or a blurb from one, could get picked up and put in print. Let it expire after I quit.
  • Did someone watch Colbert last night?
  • When Time puts out one of those nice specials with the hard spine and no ads, I buy those. They're about $12, but they are so awesome and information dense. I love it.
  • The only true magazine I buy and read is Scroll. My girlfriend also gets Cooking Light, which I peruse from time to time.
  • When Time puts out one of those nice specials with the hard spine and no ads, I buy those. I love it.
  • edited July 2013
    Occasionally I will buy Otaku USA if I see it on the stands, because it is so rare to see it for sale in my area. Also because I know that my purchase of the physical magazine also supports their online operations, not just dead tree media.

Although, speaking of other dead tree media, would buying comic floppies count as buying/reading magazines? They come out monthly, they're about the same size, and have about the same number of ads. Because I will admit, I started buying floppies last year because it feels surprisingly satisfying for me to read in that format. A combination of the texture, page size, lightness, and done-with-quickly-ness appeals to me, even though I hate that, again, I'm supporting dead tree media by buying them. Doesn't hurt that I get a big discount on them from my work, at least.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I buy Otaku USA every time I physically seen it. Spoilers: I have never physically seen it.
  • Tape Op, because it's free and generally good. And I would subscribe to Sound On Sound if I could afford it, easily the greatest publication on audio ever.
  • I get a couple of pilot magazines and I also get Communications of the ACM as a result of being an ACM member.
  • I read "Bicycle Times" digitally, and adding "BikeHugger" & "Peleton" sometimes. Used to read those physically but recently switched to digital. Once in a blue moon I picked up AI & PCG.
  • ... I also get Communications of the ACM as a result of being an ACM member.
    Is that worth it?
  • FUCK IEEE communications. I swear, I get more spam from them then penis enlargement mail.
    Is that worth it?
    Depends... For one thing, I have free access with my membership to a shit-ton of O'Reilly books online via an arrangement between the ACM and O'Reilly's Safari book service.
  • The only magazine I read is The Chap. Truly, it is the only quarterly magazine needed by distinguished gentlemen.
    Is that worth it?
    Depends... For one thing, I have free access with my membership to a shit-ton of O'Reilly books online via an arrangement between the ACM and O'Reilly's Safari book service.
    As a CS student, this interests me.
  • Entertainment Weekly insists on sending me its issues :/

I think it's some bizarre points/award thing for recycling a lot.
  • I can't remember the last time I used an O'Reilly book.
    Is that worth it?
    As a CS student, this interests me.
    I think they have student membership discounts.
    I can't remember the last time I used an O'Reilly book.
    I don't use them super-often, but I do keep the around as they are quite handy. They're good for learning new things as well.