This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What makes a film rewatchable for you?

ArkArk
edited July 2013 in Anime
Hi there,

After watching a couple of films recently that I hadn't in a while, I started thinking about why certain films are rewatchable and others aren't. For myself, I've come to the conclusion, that it's the depth of characterisation and the atmosphere the film generates, that brings me back. A good plot is entertaining, but once you know what it is there's no shock/discovery value to it anymore.

A good case in point for me is Eva Rebuild 2. When I first saw it in 2009 I was so excited and watched it 3 times in a row. Now though, it just doesn't do anything for me, because I know the main plot twists and they're just not interesting anymore. However I can still watch End Of Eva, and still get a lot out of it, because although I know the plot (such as it is), it does have that level of characterisation and engaging atmosphere that draws me in.

Anyways, what is that brings you back to a particular film?

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Really excellent cinematography gets me rewatching shit to look at certain shots/scenes more and more closely (I could watch Twin Peaks 10000 times). Excellent dialogue is great, too, like anything written by the Coen brothers is worth watching multiple times.

edit: Oh hey is this just about anime? Cause then I have no idea and ignore me!! peace out
    Post edited by johndis on
  • For me, its the writing. It doesn't have to be all time great writing, but good writing with memorable lines and a plot that doesn't make bang my head on the table go a long way toward making an enjoyable and rewatchable movie.
  • Definitely writing, though cinematography plays a role too. For instance, take Snatch. It's not my favorite movie, but whenever a friend who hasn't seen it wants to watch something I always recommend it. I've probably seen that movie 20 times, and I know almost every line. The writing and camera work is so tight, it still holds up after so many viewings.
  • Explosions, robots, people catching fire.
  • Quotable movies: Snatch, Fifth Element, Super Trooper.

Good Narration: Shawkshank Redemption.

I would go on, but I'm kinda recording something right now.
  • I was going to say, "boobies" but then I realized that the movies with lots of boobies I only watch for about two minutes at a time! (Rim shot)

I find the movies I watch more than once are movies that I want to share with someone else. If I am home alone I do not watch things I have already seen.

As to which movies I share it usually depends on the person I am sharing the experience with. If I encounter something that they have not seen that I think they will like I will watch it again.

That and bad movies. Some movies are so bad that you have to share them. Hawk the Slayer is one such movie.
  • I can't find any other reason than do I like the movie. If I like a movie there is a good chance I'll rewatch it at some point in the future. It might be because I've forgotten parts/details and want to refresh my memory, or just because I feel like experiencing that particular movie again.
  • Cleverly masked foreshadowing is a sure way to get multiple rewatches -- such as when you realize the time dilation patterns and character perspective problems in Fight Club existing from the first few frames.
  • Most of movies I watch repeatedly feel like they were made with me or people like me in mind. Skycrawlers comes to mind, that movie ripped my heart out in a special sort of way. Also, like most home schooled kids, I love Napoleon Dynamite.
  • 1. Good characters and funny lines that are always entertaining to watch.
    2. Visual spectacles (action scenes or otherwise) that are always entertaining to watch.
    3. Good soundtrack that backs everything in the movie up and gives it that epic feeling.

Those are the main things.
  • Cleverly masked foreshadowing is a sure way to get multiple rewatches -- such as when you realize the time dilation patterns and character perspective problems in Fight Club existing from the first few frames.
    cf. Nolan et al.

• edit: Oh hey is this just about anime? Cause then I have no idea and ignore me!! peace out
    Nope, any film.
  • Very clever individual scenes that just edited well. That hallway fight scene in Oldboy, that sex scene in Trainspotting, scenes like are addicting.
  • 1. Good characters and funny lines that are always entertaining to watch.
    2. Visual spectacles (action scenes or otherwise) that are always entertaining to watch.
    3. Good soundtrack that backs everything in the movie up and gives it that epic feeling.

Those are the main things.
    That.

• Music is definately an important part of creating atmosphere. A good example of this is Jin-Roh. That soundtrack fits perfectly and really draws you in, despite the film having quite a simple plot.
  • The length of time I watched something and how much I enjoyed it. Is a factor for me. I need a few months or years. But I don't normally rewatch movies or shows though. And when I do I will usually just watch a scene I thought was funny or interesting. There are some exceptions though. Like the Big Lebowski for example.
  • edited July 2013
    Shit just clicks sometimes.

Well, that, and Steven Seagal.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I like the one where Steven Seagal is an ex-Marine who tries to stop those terrorists from getting the thing.
  • I love that one. The boo ray criterion extended directors cut is a must have.
  • edited July 2013
    Devil's in the detail. When something is so well put together, you want to rewatch to take a closer look, dissect and analyse. All part of the appreciation and acknowledgement much of the thing you're consuming.

For all of it's flaws, I still can't stop watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

"You shall not pass!!" never gets old

Also watching a film you really enjoy with someone who hasn't seen it is also another reason to rewatch a film.

Nostalgia, maybe, also.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2013
    Much of what everyone had brought up are both valid and excellent for rewatching movies. One other way for me that I've found has worked in the past, much to my surprise each time, is to watch it a second time because I didn't like it the first time around.

A variety of reasons that could factor into this are reasons such as my not being in a good mood, I was too tired to pay attention, I did not understand it, or simply that I was unable to appreciate it at the time. Young Adult, the Coens' True Grit, The Big Lebowski, It's A Wonderful Life, Full Metal Jacket, One Hour Photo, and The Royal Tenenbaums are all examples of movies I either actively disliked/had ambivalent feelings towards/was disappointed by the first time I saw them, but changed my mind on when I subsequently revisited them.

Tldr: You never really know how you truly feel about a movie until you watch it a second time. Your opinion could be radically different the next time around.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Entertainment.
  • Shit just clicks sometimes.

Well, that, and Steven Seagal.
    in Seagal's case, that click is more of a snap.
  • edited November 2013
    When I notice something new every time. There are a lot of films that do that, but one series that goes under appreciated in that regard is Harry Potter. The first time you watch them, they are about Harry, the second time, they are about Voldemort, the third time, they are about Snape, and by the fourth time, you've found that the series has a triumvirate of leading characters that each represent something very different philosophies about facing mortality.

Music is a big deal for me. Shiro Sagisu, John Williams, Joe Hisaishi, Yoko Kanno, and Ennio Morricone always keep me coming back.

Another thing is great scenes. Evangelion is one of my favorite franchises because it is just packed with incredible scenes I could watch over and over without losing interest. Even though I wanted the rebuild movies to be fresh, I'm still glad some of my favorites got into them, and many of my favorites are actually new.

If a film is dense with significance, that can really help. There are certain directors that know that everything a character does molds them into who they are, and are very diligent about considering the implications of those things. It makes the film feel cohesive, and makes every scene feel like an important piece of the message the director is trying to get across.
    Post edited by Viethra on