This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anyone else going to GenCon?

edited April 2013 in Conventions
This is my first year and I'd like to meet-up/play some games if any FRCF are going.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I want to go however my wallet is not agreeing with me. The WBC on the other hand is a good possibility.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • It's too far away from me, given that I don't yet have monies.
  • I am philosophically opposed to GenCon.
  • I will be at GenCon. I will also be GMing at Games on Demand.

I have two serialized games of FreeMarket that need their second and third sessions. I think one MRCZ is about to be disbanded due to flow issues.
    I am philosophically opposed to GenCon.
    Regarding paying for event tickets? Ok.

I bought exactly one event ticket.
  • edited June 2013
    I will be at GenCon. I will also be GMing at Games on Demand.

I have two serialized games of FreeMarket that need their second and third sessions. I think one MRCZ is about to be disbanded due to flow issues.
    I am philosophically opposed to GenCon.
    Regarding paying for event tickets? Ok.

I bought exactly one event ticket.
    The mere existence of the tickets is enough for me. Shame for even buying one! While I do despise the existence of the tickets, and it's enough for me to skip the con, that isn't the worst part. The worst thing is that the person running the event doesn't get the ticket money. If you GM a game and there are tickets for it, GenCon gets paid for your hard work.

If you try to charge money for my work, and not give me the money, GO FUCK YOURSELF. If you do that shit to other people, I will definitely oppose you with all my might.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Wow, that's super lame. I DM at a store near my house that does charge when I DM, but I get store credit equal to the amount of real person money the store brings in. I'd always just kinda assumed a similar deal happened at GenCon.
  • The mere existence of the tickets is enough for me. Shame for even buying one! While I do despise the existence of the tickets, and it's enough for me to skip the con, that isn't the worst part. The worst thing is that the person running the event doesn't get the ticket money. If you GM a game and there are tickets for it, GenCon gets paid for your hard work.

If you try to charge money for my work, and not give me the money, GO FUCK YOURSELF. If you do that shit to other people, I will definitely oppose you with all my might.
    1. The ticket I bought is True Dungeon. It's goofy and expensive, but it's more than sitting around a table. TD sure as hell gets that money.

2. GoD pays for my badge. I assume there's some sort of roundabout logic where collected generic tickets from my games pay for my badge. I'm not losing any sleep over it.
  • My feels on Gencon are that you don't go for the events, presentations, expo-hall, or other such things that have anything to do with the official convention. You go to play role-playing games at and around the convention.

Totally not worth the cost of the hotels, IMO. At least not till I make significantly more money.
  • edited June 2013
    It also doesn't help that the convention is in bumblefuck. Should go outside and do some farming LARPs.
  • They've got a fair amount of hotel space and the area is pretty nice relative to where the BCEC is. Boston itself is a cooler town, but getting around it is an order of magnitude more difficult.
  • It also doesn't help that the convention is in bumblefuck. Should go outside and do some farming LARPs.
    Fuck that. I mean, it's not like you play sit-in-the-office-and-program LARPS in your spare time.

• It also doesn't help that the convention is in bumblefuck. Should go outside and do some farming LARPs.
    Unlike Hartford?

Unlike Hartford?

Hartford is also bumblefuck, but if you play board games you GET board games. No ticketing bullshit.
  • Also, Hartford is closer to non-bumblefuck. It's driving distance away from NYC, Boston, Philly, etc. Whereas Indianapolis is close to... Columbus?
  • Hartford is under an hour drive for me. I sleep at home and still enjoy the convention!
  • >The mere existence of the tickets is enough for me.

At the cons I've been to that have ticketing, they go directly to pay for the admittance of the GM. GM 16 hours of RPGs, pays for the whole con for you. Also there is a $5 coin given (for the shops, but it's neat) for the person the table votes for.
  • edited August 2013
    >The mere existence of the tickets is enough for me.

At the cons I've been to that have ticketing, they go directly to pay for the admittance of the GM. GM 16 hours of RPGs, pays for the whole con for you. Also there is a $5 coin given (for the shops, but it's neat) for the person the table votes for.
    Every convention I go to gives us free badges for doing panels. They do not have to charge attendees an additional fee to come into our panel. Maybe the ticketing would be acceptable if the main badge price was very low, but it's $70 or $80 for a weekend pass. That's already $10-$20 more than pretty much every other con.

I've also heard tales of GenCon charging panelists for the A/V equipment in panel rooms and other such nonsense. Heinous.
  • Every convention I go to gives us free badges for doing panels. They do not have to charge attendees an additional fee to come into our panel. Maybe the ticketing would be acceptable if the main badge price was very low, but it's $70 or $80 for a weekend pass. That's already $10-$20 more than pretty much every other con.

I've also heard tales of GenCon charging panelists for the A/V equipment in panel rooms and other such nonsense. Heinous.
    Most (all?) panels are free; I've never paid for one. Just doing a panel won't get you a badge; there are a lot of panels.

I don't know about any A/V costs, but I know Luke has complained that it's usually unavailable in the smaller panel rooms.
  • Most (all?) panels are free; I've never paid for one. Just doing a panel won't get you a badge; there are a lot of panels.

I don't know about any A/V costs, but I know Luke has complained that it's usually unavailable in the smaller panel rooms.
    We basically won't attend conventions that want us to perform but won't let us in for free.

As for A/V, not having it in the rooms is also a 100% dealbreaker.

• We basically won't attend conventions that want us to perform but won't let us in for free.

As for A/V, not having it in the rooms is also a 100% dealbreaker.
    You'd probably get a free media badge. Understandable about the A/V—I have never tried to get a room with or without A/V, and I know Luke prefers smaller rooms. I'm not trying to convince you to go but merely trying to correct Scott's misconceptions.
  • Twitter debate is raging as normal people discover that Gencon charges panelists for projectors, microphones, and even the panel slots themselves.
  • edited June 2014
    GENIUS! I wonder how many panelists I'd get if they had to pay for that.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Rym said:

Twitter debate is raging as normal people discover that Gencon charges panelists for projectors, microphones, and even the panel slots themselves.

I love a good chance to poke that hornet's nest.

• I was stupid close to going this year too :/
  • I'm going. I'm not doing a panel. I'll be at Games on Demand, probably running Torchbearer and InSpectres.