This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics We'd Like Rym and Scott to Review

edited October 2007 in Suggestions
I really liked your review of The Walking Dead. Please consider reviewing some of these comics:

Kingdom Come: The art is just incredible. The story is pretty good.

Marvels: Same artist. Better story.

Sandman: Everyone should know this. The art is inconsistent, but the story is probably the best comic story EVAH.

Lucifer: Art is better than Sandman. The story can actually be scary and chilling.

Hellblazer: The art can actually be pretty crappy. The story can be somewhat uneven, but it's generally good.

The Preacher: Art is consistent, but merely serviceable instead of great. The story is second only to Sandman.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Don't be afraid of this because of the crappy, crappy movie. The book is very good.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: This is what I think of now when I think of the Fantastic Four.

Acme Novelty Library: Even I think this is grim and depressing. Very good story.

Dark Knight Returns: This turned Batman's rep around in the mid-eighties.

Boris the Bear: Mid eighties comedy about a teddy bear that kills the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Two-Fisted Science: Stories about scientists.

Suspended in Language: A biography of Niels Bohr.

Einstein for Beginners: There is some actual physics in here, presented very well. This is part of a series of books that includes books like Darwin for Beginners and Marx for Beginners.

Ministry of Space: The U.K. pursued the space program instead of the U.S.

American Flagg!: Early eighties awesomeness about life in the postapocalyptic 2030's.

She Hulk by John Byrne: Consistently broke the fourth wall and represented superheroes and villains in court.

Supernatural Law: Law firm represents various supernatural beings.

Action Philosophers: Lives of Great Philosophers.

Batman: The Long Halloween: Great Art. Great Story. It's like watching a film noir/gangster movie.

Batman: Dark Victory: Same artist and writer. More film noir.

Batman: Year One: Outstanding Frank Miller stoty about Batman's freshman year.

The New Frontier: The story is not that great, but it's worth seeing for the BEAUTIFUL art.

Catwoman: The Dark Side of the Street: More film noir. The take on the Slam Bradley character makes him look almost exaclty like Robert Mitchum.

Superman for All Seasons: Worth it for the outsanding art alone.

Maus: I'm not worthy to describe this. Please review it.

Comments

• Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns are the best underwear pervert comics I've ever read (if a bit heavy-handed).
  • Maus! Yes! No one's worth to describe that one, but if you try you'll probably get some more people to read it, yay!

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a truly awful awful movie. Goddam. But the actual series is fantastic. Has Geeknights done an Alan Moore episode? I seem to recall a fair bit of Alan Moore fanboying but not a whole episode's worth. Neil Gaiman episode? You could cover a bunch of these comics in several swoops if you go author by author.

Uuuhh, Pride of Baghdad?
  • edited October 2007
    Fables: The story here is that common fairy tale characters like Snow White are alive and well and living in New York.

Introducing Stephen Hawking: This is sort of like Einstein for Beginners. Not only does it have a lot about Hawking's biography, it has some actual physics. It's part of a series that includes books like Introducing Fractals and Introducing Chaos.

30 Days of Night: Even thought the movie isn't out yet, I'll still bet that this will be better than the movie.

Criminal Macabre: More 30 Days of Night goodness.

In the Shadow of Edgar Allan Poe: Poe is actually hounded by actual demons. Great realistic art.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited October 2007
    I have read, own, and am all for doing shows on many of the comics you have suggested. It's all Rym for not reading them. I guess it's even though. We mostly don't do anime final thoughts episodes because I don't rewatch the shows. Maybe one day Rym will read comics, and I will rewatch anime series, and we can then make a zillion Wednesday shows.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2007
    Neil Gaiman episode?
    A Neil Gaiman episode would be excellent. In fact, I don't think it would be out of bounds to have a Neil Gaiman WEEK.
    Uuuhh, Pride of Baghdad?
    I wept more than I did after Charlotte's Web.

• A Neil Gaiman episode would be excellent. In fact, I don't think it would be out of bounds to have a Neil Gaiman WEEK.
    On Wednesday we could do his comics and on Thursday his books, but what for Monday and Tuesday?
  • There's a Neverwhere game. For Monday, you could do a show about how sufficiently advanced tech would be indistinguishable from magic (kinda ad hoc, i know, but it's off the top of my head).
  • Fables: The story here is that common fairy tale characters like Snow White are alive and well and living in New York.This is another great one.

Ain't the hood got no love for Powers or Y: The Last Man?
  • Powers is good. Top 10 is another good superhero cop book.

I'm a little ambivalent about Y. The idea is intriguing, and I've liked some of the stories, but I don't like the character Yorick very much.
  • edited October 2007
    Look at the books I've read, and how I've rated them. There is much love from me, believe it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2007
    That Lone Ranger looks kinda like the Lone Ranger character did in Planetary. He was what the Lone Ranger ought to be. Grim and insane.

I can't believe I forgot to list Astro City. That would be a good comic to review. The Confessor and Samaritan are great characters.
  • Top 10is another good superhero cop book.Smax FTW!
  • I wanted to like From Hell, and I really worked at it, but the art was so crappy, I couldn't tell who anyone was or what was going on half the time.
  • I wanted to likeFrom Hell, and I really worked at it, but the art was so crappy, I couldn't tell who anyone was or what was going on half the time.
    This seems to universally be the hardest comic to read. It's the Ulysses of the comic world. I own the new printing of it, and have been meaning to read it. I even read a few chapters once, and it didn't put me off terribly. I've also heard many many people talk about how they just couldn't get through it. There just seems to be something about that book that pushes people away from reading it.
  • Sin City books.
  • Transmetropolitan:  A really cool, future Hunter S. Thompson sort of thing by Warren Ellis.
  • As a result of this silly podcast, I have gone on a three-week comics binge for the first time since I was 12. I've read all of Preacher, Watchmen, Identity Crisis, the first book of Civil War, books one and two of Sandman, and have started The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The library has Maus and The Dark Knight, so they are next.
  • I would love to hear what Scrym have to say about Nodwick and PS238.  They are two of my fave comics right now, and I was happy when I found that they are done by a guy who lives in my locale.  The fact that he has online content of them is a bonus to me.
  • and have started The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
    The second book is disappointing, and just seems like an excuse for lots of kinky sex. Also, read V for Vendetta and Hellboy.
  • Transmetropolitan: A really cool, future Hunter S. Thompson sort of thing by Warren Ellis.

+1. Spider Jerusalem = awesome. BOWEL DISRUPTOR FTW!
  • Transmetropolitan:  A really cool, future Hunter S. Thompson sort of thing by Warren Ellis.

I like Hunter S. Thompson, so I thought I'd like this comic. I didn't like it though. I think there was just a bit too much gratuitous nastiness. Nastiness is fine, but I have a limited tolerance when it becomes nastiness merely for its own sake.
  • Strangers In Paradise - it's on Scott's Listal. My own opinion is decidedly mixed.

• I like Hunter S. Thompson, so I thought I'd like this comic. I didn't like it though. I think there was just a bit too much gratuitous nastiness. Nastiness is fine, but I have a limited tolerance when it becomes nastiness merely for its own sake.
    Yeah, Warren Ellis is hit or miss. Transmet didn't excite me, Planetary was better, but not enough to get me to read more than a volume. Fell is awesome, I'm waiting for the next volume.
  • A few of my friends and I used to be really keen on Y: The Last Man. One of us collected the trade paperbacks and they gradually got passed around to everyone. Good system. Anyway, Y started out really well and promised to get better but then it got weird. We haven't bothered with the last two or three TPBs. Maybe we should. Is anyone caught up on it? How's it going?
    The library has Maus and The Dark Knight, so they are next.
    You will not regret it, sir.
  • I wanna throw Criminal and Sleeper by Ed Brubaker into the mix.
  • Anyway, Y started out really well and promised to get better but then it got weird. We haven't bothered with the last two or three TPBs. Maybe we should. Is anyone caught up on it? How's it going?I've heard similar complaints, but I've read on and haven't regretted it. I'm waiting for the last TPB eagerly. At which TPB did you stop?
  • Anyway, Y started out really well and promised to get better but then it got weird. We haven't bothered with the last two or three TPBs. Maybe we should. Is anyone caught up on it? How's it going?
    I've heard similar complaints, but I've read on and haven't regretted it. I'm waiting for the last TPB eagerly. At which TPB did you stop?
    I've got every Y trade, and since there aren't so many left, I am 100% sure I will make it to the end. However, I must agree. While it is still good, the newer volumes are not as good as it was in the beginning. I'm basically just trying to get to the end hoping there will be a nice climax.
  • However, I must agree. While it is still good, the newer volumes are not as good as it was in the beginning. My brain must be malfunctioning then, because I like the series as a whole, not distinguishing any particular part from the other. What are the parts that aren't so hot?
  • However, I must agree. While it is still good, the newer volumes are not as good as it was in the beginning.
    My brain must be malfunctioning then, because I like the series as a whole, not distinguishing any particular part from the other. What are the parts that aren't so hot?
    It's not any particular part that isn't so hot. It's just that in the early parts it was amazing super awesome, and the more recent volumes as a whole are only semi-awesome. I think the dip took place sometime around when they were on the boat. This is no diss to BKV though, because Ex-Machina has only gotten better.